Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

What social distancing?

(113 Posts)
maddyone Mon 18-May-20 14:53:48

This morning I awoke to the sound of builders working at a house across the road from our house. There appear to be five builders dismantling and rebuilding an extension at the back of the house. We watched out of interest for a few minutes. The builders were not wearing any protective equipment, no face masks or gloves. They were not abiding by any
social distancing whatever, so frequently standing together in a group or working side by side. The owner of the house appeared and stood immediately next to one of the builders talking. We didn’t watch long, essentially not really our business, but we commented on what we regard as a lack of responsibility. Later in the morning a large delivery vehicle brought building supplies to the house, and again the driver stood immediately next to one of the builders talking. A simple look through our windows suggest this will be going on for a number of days.

I know people have said the rules/guidelines are confusing, but surely these builders and the owners of the house understand social distancing. Construction workers were given the green light to return to work providing they can work and remain socially distanced. There is not even the most basic attempt to socially distance themselves at the house across the road from us. It doesn’t seem like rocket science to me, but it would appear it’s too difficult to understand for them, including the house owner. No wonder the virus continues to infect people. Meanwhile we can’t help our own daughter and her husband who are often working twelve hour shifts; they are working with Covid19 patients and other patients. They are struggling with long days, three very small children, trying to teach their children two days a week, delivering children to different childcare sites before and after work, and of course all the daily tasks in running a home. And the worry that they may contract Covid19. The irresponsible behaviour of people such as these builders will make us all need to stay at home and behave responsibly for longer, and their irresponsible behaviour will keep my daughter and her husband working themselves to exhaustion for longer.

Jishere Tue 19-May-20 13:16:40

Alanav Maddyones comment was observational not a whinge or whine. And the essence of the comment is: why are they not social distancing? Following the rules, workers have been given Not they shouldn't be at work.
We have a new guy at work who hasn't found his feet and he was in a small office with 3 work man who were not following any guidelines. Well they were taking the mick as they knew only one person should have been in there at a time and wearing PPE. All to get there job quicker.
Please stop judging and read the comment for what it actually says. Everyone has a right to install social distancing.

maddyone Tue 19-May-20 13:17:17

Medics, if you actually know any JenniferEccles, categorically deny that Coronavirus is just flu. Maybe get your facts rights before you post.

grabba Tue 19-May-20 13:17:48

I would have to agree that there are still an awful lot of people putting money before health.
Also a fair few who feel the rules don't apply to them.
As the partner of a key worker I find it appalling the lack of thought being displayed by the 'it's just a virus' ' I won't get it' 'it's not that dangerous' brigade.

maddyone Tue 19-May-20 13:20:00

Thank you for understanding what I was saying Jishere and grabba.

whoisthis Tue 19-May-20 13:24:17

Well said Rosyln. Worry about yourself and not others.

Alexa Tue 19-May-20 13:24:29

Builders working in the open air meet with a relatively smaller virus load. When people meet others in the open air the virus load is less and physical distancing consequently matters less.

Unfortunately it is a fact many people need specific rules to obey, and this makes it harder to urge people to use their common sense. Common sense depends on basic knowledge of virology, which is a closed book for many.

JenniferEccles Tue 19-May-20 13:31:20

I don’t think I said it’s JUST flu maddyone. I said it is a flu type virus, which I believe all the corona viruses are.

I guess they vary in severity and as I said, this one can be particularly nasty for those already in poor health, yet many people apparently have no symptoms whatsoever.

I stand by my opinion that getting the economy back on track is the number one priority now, or the younger generation will suffer the consequences for decades.

Dorsetcupcake61 Tue 19-May-20 13:34:18

I read this post a few hours ago,coincidentally my neighbours appear to have restarted building work that stopped before lockdown. Absolutely no social distancing,lots of Van's coming and going. That's up to them.
I do wonder if those that are concerned,like me,are worried about deeper issues.
Since this all kicked off there seem to have been two distinct camps,those that think they should be able to carry on as normal regardless and those realise potential consequences of doing that. I wonder how many of those who feel "let's get back to it" are genuinely at risk? Do they have negotiate public transport to low paid frontline jobs where in all likelihood social distancing not be effective? Or are they able to pop into their cars to the local farm shop? Do they have a secure regular income from whatever source? Or are they facing an uncertain financial future unless they take risks that in ordinary circumstances wouldnt consider?
We all are experiencing this pandemic differently. For some its practical financial concerns,others health,others social.
I'm 58 and high risk but not enough to be shielded.I work part time in a care home. To get there and back would involve four buses. The care home is one of four. So far eleven residents have died. I'm basically on unpaid leave and told to come back when I feel safe! I'm in contact with my union,employers supposed to risk assess my safety to be at work/find safer role. The government says I should stringently social distance. Not really possible in care role or on public transport. The only way I could find out if it's safe is to put myself at risk. I should add that in all my communications with employer no mention has been made of there being Coronavirus in building let alone deaths.
I know staff have left and I do wonder if they felt they had little choice as environment not safe. I do know the employers let them leave without the usual draconian measures they have in place.
This morning I woke up and turned on news and started to doubt my own sanity. The push to return to "normal" seems overwhelming,it feels like a constant nudge. Alongside this items on how serious virus is and how firms building isolation pods for hospitals and ongoing concerns about care homes.
I'm an intelligent and on the whole positive person. Throughout this situation have been able to count my blessings which fortunately include a small amount of savings to live on.
Today for the first time I shed tears,I feel between a rock and a hard place. I'm heartily sick of ambiguous or downright false information from both my employer and official sources. In between tears there is a strange urge to rush headfirst into work maybe it really is ok. In reality I can bide my time for a while but everything seems uncertain and bleak.

Jellybean345 Tue 19-May-20 13:56:27

Dorset Cupcake
Yes I agree with you .The post I sent previously was a tongue in cheek email sent from someone illustrating how confusing and contradictory the rules were .It is all about common sense it appears that some are nt as alert as others and have no consideration .Take care we ll be out of this one day albeit differently.I won’t take anything for granted again

maddyone Tue 19-May-20 13:56:57

Dorsetcupcake61
Oh how I feel for you. What a difficult position for you. I know I can’t advise you really, but anyway my advice would be for you to stay away from work for a while longer. Care home work is very much on the front line and as you are high risk you need to take every care. I’d advise you to ignore the ignorant posts on here saying we need to get back to normal. My daughter and her husband are doctors, much younger than you, and not high risk, but they are seeing possible Coronavirus patients and confirmed Coronavirus patients. Their three small children are six years and under. I worry about them all the time because so many medical staff have died from this virus, and when ignorant people speak about getting back to normal I fear for them more. The virus hasn’t gone away and with ignorant behaviour it is likely to spike again. I hope not, but I fear it will. Keep yourself safe Dorset and remember that your bosses aren’t too concerned about you, so you need to be concerned about you. Stay safe.

endre123 Tue 19-May-20 14:37:16

They would certainly be distancing if someone close to them got the virus. Mysteriously. I'm in wales and we have different laws but they are stricter and some do get confused. Then all the emergency services in full PPE turn up, fill the street with vehicles & medics, an air ambulance lands nearby. Sadly the person died. Everyone of those emergency officers were crying. I have never seen so much compassion. A female GP in a flimsy apron , mask and gloves, rolled down their overalls carefully disposed of them and visors in special bags.
We had suddenly lost a lovely neighbour. The areas they covered were disinfected down as you see on TV. Don't ever be flippant about the infectiousness of this virus.

Our GPs must be supplied with much better PPE or we are going to lose many to this pandemic. The emergency services are better equipped to save lives at home now and we will see many more of these dranas on our streets.

It's not going away here, those who die in the community are not recorded for some weeks. Capacity in our hospitals is still low because many medical staff are away which is why our lockdown rules still apply.

Jishere Tue 19-May-20 14:38:05

Your welcome Maddyone. I agree with Dorset there is two distinct camps. And whoisthis sums up the other camp clearly! Take care Dorset very difficult to know what to do but please make sure when u do return they have PPE.

Jillybird Tue 19-May-20 14:42:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jellybean345 Tue 19-May-20 14:45:05

Yes it is a plague .The sooner they test everyone the better .

JenniferEccles Tue 19-May-20 14:53:21

I do see the point you are making Jillybird about epidemics in the past before the benefit of modern medicine and technology but I can’t help feeling that to call this current situation a ‘plague’ would be counterproductive!

georgia101 Tue 19-May-20 14:54:48

Rosalyn69 It isn't spying, just looking out of our windows because we are sick of being stuck indoors following the rules.

Rosalyn69 Tue 19-May-20 15:16:38

No it’s not georgia101 but I take issue with what people do with the information they gain from “looking out their window”.
BTW I am indoors too and have been for 10 weeks and counting.

Dorsetcupcake61 Tue 19-May-20 15:17:14

Thankyou so much Maddyone,and also to other posters for their kind comments. Just reading them has made me feel so much better and put things into perspective?. It would be madness to even contemplate going back to work.
I continue to feel we are at the beginning of a very long road. Sadly I also read today comments by a nurse that there are lots of young people who although not being killed by the virus are living with long term health problems including COPD and needing dialysis. Daily figures focus on infections and number of deaths,I have often wondered about those large numbers in hospital and what's happening to them.
PPE is a sticky area. I've always felt concerned by the contrast between the hazmat style PPE worn by nurses etc in hospital,which I would never argue about,and the more basic PPE in care/nursing homes. It could be argued that they are not undertaking invasive procedures but they are undertaking personal care etc and often with individuals with dementia.
Still,time will tell,maybe in years to come the full story will be revealed.
My heart goes out to frontline carers,to young adults who should be having fun,travelling,learning about life. To younger childeren in this strange socially distanced world who can only play with friends virtually or from a distance. All we can do is hold on to the genuine acts of love and kindness from those we know and those we dont♥️

Rosalyn69 Tue 19-May-20 15:24:43

I have just reread this thread. It does seem that those who protest overmuch seem to be the ones who are actually concerned about themselves and not the builders or others who are working closer than 6’ apart.
“You’ll get it and give it to me or my family” rather than “Be careful you could get sick and die”.
I stay away from my delivery men etc partly because I don’t want them to give anything to me but because I don’t want to give it to them should I be harbouring the virus.
Neither should we assume that the great unwashed are all stupid.

Ellie Anne Tue 19-May-20 15:52:37

Maybe I’ll be getting reported!
My son came over today to collect something he’d stored in out garage. Brought our 9 year old granddaughter with him. Lovely to see them and we were outside and stayed well apart.
But granddaughter needed the toilet and had an hours drive home so I let her go. None of us have symptoms.

sharon103 Tue 19-May-20 15:56:00

Many now that the lockdown has eased have the 'I'm alright Jack' attitude. It's a pity they couldn't have witnessed the scenes in the hospitals at it's worst. There will be many, many NHS workers, staff in care homes with mental health issues that have had to deal with the unimaginable stress and the death of thousands upon thousands of patients that will haunt them forever and not forgetting the relatives and friends of loved ones that were not able to visit the dying or able to pay respect at their funeral.
There are still I would imagine, hospital staff and members of the government who haven't slept for weeks on end.
It's a shame so many have soon forgotten and carrying on as if it's all over.
No it's not!
I pray there's not a second wave. I have doubts though.

Jishere Tue 19-May-20 16:00:30

Rosalyn69 that is why there is social distancing for everyone but lots are not following it especially builders and matience workers. You have no choice but to look after yourself and enforce a rule that not everyone is following.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 19-May-20 16:01:34

Construction companies have always been allowed to work throughout the lockdown so long as they keep to the rules re social distancing etc.

My son works for a large construction company and to ensure they can meet (do their best) to follow the rules they have furloughed a large number of staff (including my son) but both their sites are have remained open.

It did puzzle me how the gov got it wrong in saying construction companies can now go back to work. Most have never stopped.

sharon103 Tue 19-May-20 16:02:59

I forgot to add as someone mentioned about university students not going back.
I believe the students share rented houses while others live and share rooms on site for their duration therefore social distancing would be impossible.

Jellybean345 Tue 19-May-20 16:40:03

Yes Sharon 103 All students that I know about have to go back home to their parents or wherever they originally come from and study at home.