Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

What social distancing?

(113 Posts)
maddyone Mon 18-May-20 14:53:48

This morning I awoke to the sound of builders working at a house across the road from our house. There appear to be five builders dismantling and rebuilding an extension at the back of the house. We watched out of interest for a few minutes. The builders were not wearing any protective equipment, no face masks or gloves. They were not abiding by any
social distancing whatever, so frequently standing together in a group or working side by side. The owner of the house appeared and stood immediately next to one of the builders talking. We didn’t watch long, essentially not really our business, but we commented on what we regard as a lack of responsibility. Later in the morning a large delivery vehicle brought building supplies to the house, and again the driver stood immediately next to one of the builders talking. A simple look through our windows suggest this will be going on for a number of days.

I know people have said the rules/guidelines are confusing, but surely these builders and the owners of the house understand social distancing. Construction workers were given the green light to return to work providing they can work and remain socially distanced. There is not even the most basic attempt to socially distance themselves at the house across the road from us. It doesn’t seem like rocket science to me, but it would appear it’s too difficult to understand for them, including the house owner. No wonder the virus continues to infect people. Meanwhile we can’t help our own daughter and her husband who are often working twelve hour shifts; they are working with Covid19 patients and other patients. They are struggling with long days, three very small children, trying to teach their children two days a week, delivering children to different childcare sites before and after work, and of course all the daily tasks in running a home. And the worry that they may contract Covid19. The irresponsible behaviour of people such as these builders will make us all need to stay at home and behave responsibly for longer, and their irresponsible behaviour will keep my daughter and her husband working themselves to exhaustion for longer.

Jellybean345 Tue 19-May-20 10:56:28

This is a long reply but someone sent me this Titled ‘As clear as Mud
4 year olds can go to school ,but university students who have paid for the tuition they have nt had and the accommodation they are nt living in,can t go to University.
A teacher can go to school with many 4 year olds they are not related to, but can’t see one 4 year old they are related to .
You can sit in a park from Tuesday but by Wednesday that ll be fine.
You can meet one person from another households for a chat or to sunbathe ,but not two people so if you know two people from another household you have to pick your favourite.
Hopefully,you’re also their favourite from your house hold or this could be awkward .But possibly you re not .But as I can’t get closer than 2m to the one you choose anyway you would nt think of having the other one sat next to them would matter-unless two people would restrict you eyeline too much and prevent you from being alert.
You can work all day with your colleagues, but you can’t sit in their garden for a chat after work . You can now do unlimited exercise when frankly just doing an hour a day feels like you are some sort of fitness guru.I can think of lots of things that I would like to be unlimited but exercise is nt one of them .
You can drive to other destinations,although which destinations is unclear .
The buses are still running past your house,but you should nt get on one .We should just let empty buses drive around.
It will be soon time to quarantine people coming into the country by air ..but not yet .Its too soon .And note we if you’re coming from France because ..well,I don’t know why ,actually.Because the French version of Corona Virus would nt come to the UK maybe .
Our youngest children go back to school first because .. they are notoriously good at not touching things they should nt ,maintain personal space at all times and never randomly lick you.
We are somewhere between 3.5 and 4.5 on a five point scale where 5 is all of the virus and 1 is none of the virus,but 2,3and 3can be anything you d like it to be really .Someof the virus?A bit of the virus ?Just enough virus to see off those over 70 s who were told to self isolate but now realised that they ve done that a bit too well despite us offloading coronavirus into care jones and now we are claiming that was never said in the first place .even though it’s in writing in the stay at home guidance.
The slogan is nt stay at home any more ,so we don’t have to stay at home .Except we do .Unless we can’t in which case we should go out .But there will be fines if we break the rules.So don’t do that
Don’t forget ....
Stay alert .which Robert Jenrick has explained actually means Stay at home as much as possible .Obviously.
Control the virus.Wel I can’t even control my digs and I can actually see them.PlusI know a bit about dogs and very little about controlling viruses.
Save lives .Always preferable time not saving lives.I d say ,so I ll try my best with that one,although hopefully I don’t new telling to do that I know I m bragging now but not NOT saving lives is something I do every day .
So there you are .If you re the wierdo wanting unlimited exercise then enjoy.But not until Wednesday .Obviously.
Hope you all don’t mind this very long post ,thank you for bearing with me , thought it would just clarify everything !
Me I m just going back to my cave .

sarahellenwhitney Tue 19-May-20 11:02:37

Rosalyn69.
Agree.
I wonder do these window watchers ever thinkhmm these guys have families who need feeding and a rent/ mortgage to pay.NOT everyone is fortunate to have work that can be done at home.

Jishere Tue 19-May-20 11:05:26

VictorMthe2nd what you are describing is what it is like to venture out of my house, just to go shopping. People do not care. I had a parent and child on bike wheeze past me, not once but twice in close range. As i walk i wonder who is going to move over, it is usually me. The classic is someone wearing a mask but leaning right over you in the supermarket. Yes Boris is to blame because you can exercise as much as you want and stay alert is a whole different concept from stay home. People are eager to get back to normal but will this come at a cost!! There is too much frustration out there to physically put your hand out to anyone, it isn't worth it.

4allweknow Tue 19-May-20 11:09:28

Perhaps all the builders have had the virus and consider themselves immune! Doubt it myself. Isn't it the old "I'm a man and won't get it" syndrome. The householder should be held responsible for basically allowing people to break the rules. Use the reporting system.

maddyone Tue 19-May-20 11:13:26

Paperbackwriter
......twitching the curtains...

I have already said, TWICE, for those that can’t retain information, that I saw the builders opposite as I opened the curtains. Are you suggesting I don’t open my curtains in the morning?
I find the self righteous and holier than thou attitude on here appalling. Several posters, I won’t embarrass you all by naming you, have the attitude that if people want to ignore the guidelines and ignore social distancing, then that’s just fine and dandy. Well I don’t think it’s fine and dandy for idiots to not care less about social distancing because whilst those who are young and fit may well survive Covid19, many of the others that they pass the virus to may not. But hey, that’s fine isn’t it? We can’t be locked into permanent social distancing can we?
If you disagree with me, DON’T clap on Thursday night for our NHS and key workers, because you don’t care if the virus continues to infect them due to idiots like the builders opposite to me can’t be arsed to socially distance.

Jishere Tue 19-May-20 11:14:17

How is that nice to refer to people as window watchers Sarahellenwhitney or Rosalyn spies? There is works going on down my road, I can hear it but I can also see it when I walk past but also if I strain my neck I can see it from my window! Isn't time we stopped judging people this post was about social distancing and builders lack of it.

maddyone Tue 19-May-20 11:17:10

sarahhelenwhitney

Another person who is both rude and completely unable to retain the information that I have now written THREE times. I’m not a windowwatcher, I was opening my curtains in the morning. Are you suggesting I leave them closed all day?

maddyone Tue 19-May-20 11:18:30

Jishere
Hear, hear. Two balanced and sensible posts.

Aepgirl Tue 19-May-20 11:21:07

A lot of people didn’t ‘bother with social distancing’. That’s fine by me provided they realise that they can be carriers without having the virus themselves, and that the NHS does not need stupid people like that not helping the situation.

3nanny6 Tue 19-May-20 11:22:01

VictorMthe2nd read your post that is what it is like out-there now at first in lockdown it was so quiet and most people were doing things well apart from a minority.
Jishere is right people have now got to the stage where they have heard the new rules "stay Alert etc, and go out as much as you like to exercise and meet family in the park. People are behaving as if all the social distancing is over.

We have medium sized tennis court near my area and three times I have seen a group of 11 males using it as a cricket play area. No social distancing all running about enjoying themselves. Another day two males were using the tennis court but had tied the two dogs to the fencing and they were getting distressed.
I have twice e-mailed the parish council who are in charge of that certain amenity and told them what is going on but have had no response.
I see that someone here on the thread mentioned about telling police about these behaviours, someone correct me if I am wrong but I am sure I heard that now the new rules have been applied the police are no longer involved with people being outside and exercising etc and no longer have any powers over that kind of thing.

Alishe Tue 19-May-20 11:22:36

Wondered how long it would be before ‘Brexit’ got linked to the pandemic!

Jillybird Tue 19-May-20 11:38:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rene72 Tue 19-May-20 11:45:26

Similar near me, 4 weeks ago a couple in our street had builders in, as the finished off they could be heard in their back garden, laughing and joking for around an hour, after which they came out and loaded their van up. Not too sure but I think she works for the NHS. Across the road from me a single woman with a young daughter had about 6 children in her house and were also riding their bikes up and down the street while a man sat on her doorstep watching them. I think he is a relative because I have seen him before.

Zahorodnyj0909 Tue 19-May-20 11:50:04

Workmen along my road laying new gas pipes, not social distancing. Standing close together just chatting. No PPE. House across the road having front garden landscaped and workmen are just standing close to each other, chatting. Owner came out and handed them cups of tea and he joined in the conversation. This must be going on all over the country. I cannot believe it.

inishowen Tue 19-May-20 11:51:59

Throughout lockdown I have seen a white van at a house along the road from me. Various workmen coming and going. Lots of chatting in groups. I think the house is being renovated. I Wont bother the police with reporting though. I know from my son they are inundated with reports and cant follow them up.

Tillymint21 Tue 19-May-20 12:19:28

The difference between rules in England and Scotland has already caused us family differences of opinion about what is/is not ok as perspectives of what is ‘normal’ have suddenly diverged. Life down south and all the changes that are happening sound a world away from the lockdown bubble we’re still in in Scotland. Where I live there is more traffic but still few people out, lots of social distancing on walks and buses are still empty.

ALANaV Tue 19-May-20 12:39:03

Rosalyn...I TOTALLY agree with you …..please stop whingeing and wining about what your neighbours do and concentrate on what YOU do …...this is getting ridiculous …...scientists are now saying all kinds of different things about how this virus spreads ...being incarcerated indoors is the worst thing ..fresh air is best …...can't go on like this forever things have to move on …….like it or not !

Bobdoesit Tue 19-May-20 13:00:37

This from Facebook just about sums it up:
A new virus which is spreading a hundred times quicker than Coronavirus has been discovered, the imasthickasshit virus affects people’s ability to social distance properly. People with the imasthickasshit virus will go out to parks and beauty spots in their droves with no worries about spreading the virus. Doctors thank that Coronavirus and imasthickasshit virus could be connected but are worried by the speed imasthickasshit virus is spreading. Please keep well clear, stay safe my friends.

Granval Tue 19-May-20 13:00:38

It’s ‘upsetting ‘ to say the least that some people seem to think they are immune .... we have tried hard to observe the rules .. people while shopping for instance seem to totally forget distancing till they get to the checkouts ... neighbours having parties and having neighbours round .. kids playing with neighbours kids ... I don’t understand why people are ignoring advice .. we will all be stuck in again if there a second wave in the winter ... it’s depressing to think about .

Granval Tue 19-May-20 13:02:31

That’s a great post .. spot on !!

maddyone Tue 19-May-20 13:06:32

The government have advised people to go to work if the work can’t be done at home and if it is safe to do so. Pretty clear to me.
People with your attitude ALANaV are the very people who will ensure the virus continues to infect others and spread. No, we can’t go on like this forever can we? Better that people just get the virus, so what! Till it’s you or yours, and then people will whine that the government should have done more.
The many examples given on this thread have shown how the selfish and irresponsible behave. And judging by some of the comments on here, it would appear that some Gransnetters are clapping them on. I’d have thought better of supposedly mature people.

maddyone Tue 19-May-20 13:09:41

Great posts Bobdoesit and Granval.
Indeed, some people, including people on Gransnet, must be, to put it bluntly, thick.

JenniferEccles Tue 19-May-20 13:12:21

Is it time to put all this in perspective? Covid19 is a flu type virus not the plague!

Yes it can be a nasty virus for a tiny minority of the population but the vast majority of people who catch it will make a full recovery.

The daily death rates are alarming but the fact is a lot of people who sadly died actually died of something else, in effect they died WITH Covid19 not FROM it.

If the country doesn’t get back to work soon then millions of people will be affected with businesses going under along with all the associated job losses.

grabba Tue 19-May-20 13:13:31

smile I would agree, you can legislate for just about everything but not for stupidity

maddyone Tue 19-May-20 13:13:48

And those very people will expect people like my daughter and son in law to treat them if they become sick with Coronavirus. And in doing so, medics put themselves at risk. My daughter and her husband have got three little children. Some of you are talking about feeding children, well my grandchildren could have no parents left to feed them if they pick up Coronavirus from stupid people who can’t be bothered to socially distance. How selfish is that?