Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Anyone need a dentist?

(95 Posts)
maddyone Thu 21-May-20 11:59:46

When will dentists be allowed to return to work do you think? I’ve had a metallic taste in my mouth for a couple of days, and a very slight achey feeling. I’m concerned that I have a leaking filling. It’s not too bad at the moment, but I’m very concerned that it might develop. I missed my last general check up as it was due in March, after the lockdown. I’ve heard some horrific stories on the news about people in pain, so much so that one person pulled his own tooth out. Surely we can’t allow this situation to continue indefinitely, it’s seems inhumane to refuse an entire population any dental care for so long. Surely emergency patients should be seen. The dentist and dental nurse could wear full PPE and receptionists work from behind a screen, like the doctors receptionists do. Our GPs are still working, despite the risks. When will we have dentistry back do you think?

maddyone Sat 23-May-20 17:09:03

I feel better today ladies, the antibiotics seem to be working. So I’ve spent the afternoon baking and feel much happier without so much pain. I’ll take some cake round to Mum, she’s 92 and lives nearby in a sheltered apartment. Obviously we don’t go in, but we deliver all her food to her front door. She’ll enjoy a bit of cake.

MissAdventure Sat 23-May-20 18:27:52

smile
That sounds like a good plan.

craftyone Tue 26-May-20 07:26:30

dentists back for emergencies only in own practices very soon, just solo dentist on rota no other staff.

maddyone Wed 27-May-20 14:05:52

Oh dear, the pain was responding to antibiotics, but now coming back, and I’ve not even finished the antibiotics yet.
I do hope you’re right craftyone, this situation can’t go on much longer. I heard dentists may be opening from June 15th.

craftyone Wed 27-May-20 16:33:07

yes, I have close family dentists. I don`t know the date yet but that sounds feasible, if they can get the equipment

kittylester Wed 27-May-20 16:56:25

The Chief Dental Officer has told dentists to be prepared for a phased reopening, similar to that already seen in Scotland and Wales, however, as yet, there has been no indication to the profession that this will be the case according to our Local Dental Committee, so don't hold your breath.

Any aerosol generating procedures (urgent or non-urgent) will probably still have to be referred to 'hot centres'.

I think 15th June is very optomistic.

MissAdventure Wed 27-May-20 17:48:47

My mouth is playing up.
3 fillings gone, and just the shell of the tooth left, and this strange gum problem which is making the roof of my mouth itchy, sore, and painful.

maddyone Wed 27-May-20 18:01:15

No offence kitty but I hope you’re wrong, and craftyone is right.

craftyone Thu 28-May-20 11:44:22

my mother used to rell me that people got all their teeth out and a full set for a birthday present. I can see why

Charleygirl5 Thu 28-May-20 11:53:40

maddyone kitty has inside professional information re this subject

suziewoozie Thu 28-May-20 15:26:12

I use the BDA website to keep upto date. Things are not hopeful re a quick return to anything like normal service.

kittylester Thu 28-May-20 17:29:39

Apparently, dentists can reopen on 8th June. Shame no-one has told our LDC!

kittylester Thu 28-May-20 17:30:41

My grandparents had their teeth removed and dentures made as 21st birthday presents.

heath480 Thu 28-May-20 17:36:16

I am thinking of having all my teeth removed when this is over and having dentures.

No dentist has been one of the worst things for me in lockdown.

MayBee70 Thu 28-May-20 17:50:20

We’ll be going back to a time when women were given total tooth removal as dentures as a wedding present. I’ve been thinking the same thing myself! Terrified of breaking a tooth or losing a filling.

Billybob4491 Thu 28-May-20 18:06:43

Rang my dentist this morning, have been in pain for a couple of days. She immediately sent a prescription for anti-biotics to to the Pharmacy, and I picked them up within the hour. Just heard on the radio that Dentists opening from 8 June.

maddyone Thu 28-May-20 18:39:05

Well that’s good news anyway. After you said you looked at the BDA website Suzie. I did the same and saw 8th June. I’m going to ring again tomorrow anyway as the antibiotics haven’t solved the problem. I’ll see what they say tomorrow. I might have to go to the hub, we’ll see.

MiniMoon Thu 28-May-20 18:41:34

Yes! I'll be able to attend my dental appointment in the middle of June.

I dont have a problem, it's just my regular check up, but it was cancelled in April and rearranged.

kittylester Thu 28-May-20 19:46:12

That is- dental practices can open on 8th June!

craftyone Thu 28-May-20 20:14:53

first dentists knew of the 8th june was the Boris announcement today. Don`t hold your breath, there is no PPE except that provided by denplan for denplan dentists. It will be tooth extractions and emergency fillings only and only a few a day due to the thorough clean up required and one surgery only in multi staffed practices

It will take months to catch up and obviously checkups are not emergencies

craftyone Thu 28-May-20 20:22:24

There is going to be a scramble to try and make reception safe as well as sourcing ppe. Perspex screens on back order and will not be ready until middle of june at the earliest. I doubt if more than a few surgeries will be ready until mid june at the earliest and that is only if they can get the equipment needed

They are being sent to slaughter as well as teachers

annodomini Thu 28-May-20 20:31:33

I'm looking forward to hearing from my dentist. It's a very efficient practice, but if they are only doing emergencies, I might have to live with my temporary filling for some months. Will I get a root canal job for C*******s?

maddyone Thu 28-May-20 20:37:32

My dentist told me that if the antibiotics don’t solve the problem I’ll have to go to the hub. He had diagnosed the problem as infection in some bits of root that were left after an extraction a few years ago, but the tooth next to it seems painful. Anyway he said I’ll have to go to the hub if it doesn’t clear, where he told me they have full PPE. I’ll ring in the morning and see.

MissAdventure Thu 28-May-20 21:29:52

Where is your hub, maddy, do you know?
My dentist didn't know, but that was weeks ago, at the beginning.

maddyone Thu 28-May-20 23:03:00

It’s in the city ten miles from where I live. I’ll PM you.