Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Masks would it have made a difference

(44 Posts)
overthehill Thu 21-May-20 19:20:00

After initially being told face masks were a waste of time, I saw a interview today with a doctor who has conducted trials and discovered they could be 98% effective in stopping the spread of Coronavirus.

Of course the government cannot make wearing face masks mandatory as they would have to supply them which they don't want to do.

It does make you wonder though that if money was spent on masks early on in the pandemic, and wearing masks mandatory, deaths and all the expense racked up since on ventilators, PPE, Nightingale hospitals etc. could have been avoided

GGumteenth Fri 22-May-20 17:23:53

I think it's one I started MayBee blush. I do like his direct and factual manner. I just don't remember him being so emphatic as It's now been established that contracting the virus does give immunity and that people aren't being re-infected but I will go back and check the last few days as that would, indeed, be good news and he is often ahead of what our politicians and scientists will put their name to because he is in touch with the medical community all over the world.

I do, totally agree though, as he does, that masks should be worn. It seems like good manners that, if I am prepared to protect others they should be prepared to protect me - whatever level of protection masks give.

Sussexborn Fri 22-May-20 17:43:56

Masks are the same as gloves and need to be used correctly. Not just covering the mouth as some seem to think and absolutely no touching once they are in place even to adjust them if they slip or are uncomfortable.

Immunity can have some odd quirks though. One of DD2s classmates had chicken pox every time it surfaced. Otherwise she was quite fit and healthy.

One of our friends was brought up in the care system, went to Oxford, taught for 20+ years and then had a really bad bout of chicken pox. He literally glowed bright red and you could feel the heat coming off him. We took care of their children as they were too young to understand that they couldn’t jump on Daddy! He must have come into contact with CP over the years surely?

MayBee70 Fri 22-May-20 17:58:30

GG: was actually only a couple of nights ago and he was positively jubilant about it. There was also a great interview with a NZ doctor about VitD and he told Dr John things that even he didn’t know. Eg that it takes 24 hours for the body to process (?) the VitD and if you shower straight after sunbathing you literally wash it away. And that animals lick themselves to absorb VitD. I’m probably getting this all wrong but I found it fascinating. I could have listened to him all night!

mcem Fri 22-May-20 18:00:28

If wearing masks had been urged in the early days the shortage of PPE would have been exacerbated! There was an inadequate supply for frontline staff, so the risk of outrage from the masses if they couldn't obtain them would have been hard to deal with.

Limited supply- say they aren't generally needed- conserve the limited supply!
Cynical? Moi?

MayBee70 Fri 22-May-20 18:00:50

Today’s blog is about mask wearing (haven’t watched it yet).

Witzend Fri 22-May-20 18:08:01

We couldn’t get them, though, could we?
Dh ordered some very early on - they took weeks to arrive.
I had made several in the meantime - out of an old pillowcase.
They were hotter and steamier to wear than the bought ones, though.

MayBee70 Fri 22-May-20 18:15:28

I’m going to make one out of an old sock.

GGumteenth Fri 22-May-20 18:15:31

Thanks MayBee. I'm not surprised I've missed it as I seem to have been constantly moving furniture over the last few days but it would be well worth hearing that. I was taking Vit D anyway as my, now to be called, underlying conditions grin seem to make my GP study the levels but I feel even better for taking it since I have been watching the videos.

MayBee70 Fri 22-May-20 18:21:45

You mustn’t miss the NZ doctor: I’m quite in love with him....(blush)

GGumteenth Fri 22-May-20 18:35:45

grin

MayBee70 Fri 22-May-20 22:37:53

The hamster mask experiment is good, too....

GGumteenth Fri 22-May-20 23:13:50

Well I never thought I would end up binge-watching Dr. John Campbell Maybee but you were right that is was so well worth it - on all counts.

I have made masks for all my family and friends but notice that supermarkets have different mask cultures smile. I do hope this is fed through to our government decision-makers as it could save a great deal of our economy.

I would have thought that at some point they might see it worth giving all elderly people a higher dose than we can buy over the counter of vitamin D too. Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. Unfortunately, it's back to moving furniture tomorrow but I will make sure I don't miss any YouTubes as it will interesting to follow. Sadly, I get the impression that some - not a lot but some - doctors and consultants are not always so keen on their patients feeling in control of their care. On the vitamin D, I wonder if they should have been saying early on that the least people should have been doing is sitting in the park for an hour - even if they weren't exercising, although obviously with exercise is better.

twiglet77 Fri 22-May-20 23:25:30

I work in a supermarket and we are given face visors if we choose to use them. They're great, it's not practical to wear a mask for hours and they make my glasses steam up but a visor shields my whole face. I have fabric masks for when I go shopping myself, with a pocket inside for a filter (paper towel or coffee filter), they can be washed and pressed with a hot iron.

I wash my hands as often as possible through my shift, at least hourly, and use hand sanitiser before each new customer, I disinfect the card reader, the belt dividers, the whole till area.

I don't wear gloves, though some cashiers do. I prefer to clean my hands. Disposable gloves are an environmental disaster and completely inappropriate for the public - if you're going on public transport can't you take ordinary washable gloves, a bag to put them in when you remove them, and hand sanitizer gel or wipes to use before donning and after doffing them?

MayBee70 Fri 22-May-20 23:28:06

I was really concerned that my daughter had bought a really high strength VitD3 off the internet but, according to the dishy NZ doctor [he reminds me of Sam Neill] she should be ok on it. I'm getting some VitK2 next week as well. Interesting that the Americans have a Dr John slot each day but he's largely ignored in this country. And I love all the photos at the end; makes me realise that, as a world, we're all fighting this together. There's a Dr John facebook page as well Dr John Campbells Corona Boat Party although he isn't in it/on it. When this pandemic is over I'll probably plough my way through all of Dr Johns teaching blogs!

twiglet77 Fri 22-May-20 23:29:54

I’m going to make one out of an old sock.

I've made some of these those too, but they don't look the part, the heel section sits on my nose or my chin and they look a bit... odd! Lots on YouTube, it just takes two minutes and a pair of scissors.

MissAdventure Fri 22-May-20 23:41:59

I'd like to make one with a smile on it, and some cat whiskers.
It would cheer up the gloomy look.

GGumteenth Sat 23-May-20 08:55:35

I made our masks from a pattern on You Tube but had experimented with a few times to get the right ones. I also make ear savers to go with them so the elastic isn't resting on your ears. It's just a piece that is about 10" x 1.5" made like you would make a bag strap i.e., it start 6" wide and is folded into the middle. It has a "snap" (modern popper) on the end and the elastic is threaded through the loop it makes. The pattern was designed to make batch making easy but I can't sit for the whole day as my back complains but it has made even small batches quicker. I have seen some lovely ones you can make, with faces, on an embroidery machine but there is some thought that compacting the layers is not a good thing.

You might guess that even though the lock down left me unable to have experts in to do any work on my new flat my sewing room (small bedroom) was very much ready first. It's just minus new flooring and freshly painted walls grin but it looks as if some people are having trades-people in to do these jobs but I don't feel ready to have people in like that yet and I'm not sure about the rules.

GGumteenth Sat 23-May-20 08:58:26

Sorry - by "people like that" (horrible phrase) I just meant anyone else.