Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Who can travel? Princes and prime ministers?

(129 Posts)
grannygranby Sat 23-May-20 09:49:05

I cannot remember any comment being made by anyone that Prince Charles went off to Scotland when he got Covid-19 and BJohnson moved from no 10 to other flat to Chequers. All during lockdown. Is this an assumed exceptionalism? Or is it written? Do other ministers also think they are entitled? I guess they must seeing Dominic Cummings travels. I think at least it should have been mentioned after all so many people have personally sacrificed.

Callistemon Wed 27-May-20 20:01:49

The Coronavirus Act received Royal Assent on 25th March 2020, if that puts any of the events into any chronological context, maddyone.

Of course, some people, eg DC, would be very aware of that.

maddyone Wed 27-May-20 23:46:39

Oh thank you Callistemon
I knew the emergency legislation was passed round about when we entered lockdown, but I wasn’t sure of the date.

Rocknroll5me Thu 28-May-20 08:37:01

that was it though wasn't it....he claimed it was ' in essential circumstances'. weaselly words. He used it to the letter...claiming his father's instincts were essential Whereas everyone knew that was not the spirit of the meaning; it was put in there not to criminalise those escaping from possibly life-threatening physical and emotional abuse. That wasn't spelt out...but it was understood. He has manipulated the term to his own advantage thereby undermining us for not doing the same if we want to. People who wanted to be at the bedside of their dying children or parents weren't denying their instincts and blindly obeying, they were prevented by the NHS and Care Homes who were following the law. They had no choice.