Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

No longer shielded

(101 Posts)
growstuff Wed 27-May-20 20:17:40

A number of people who were previously "shielded" in England have now received texts saying that they are no longer shielded. They will no longer receive a food box, although apparently they will have priority delivery slots.

Apparently, doctors weren't advised that this was happening and haven't been asked whether there are some people who have been inappropriately shielded.

Has anybody been affected by this?

Luckygirl Fri 29-May-20 10:23:19

Rosalyn69 - none of us need nannying - what we need it accurate information to use to make sensible decisions.

Luckygirl Fri 29-May-20 10:23:36

it =is

dragonfly46 Fri 29-May-20 10:29:59

I wonder as my chemo finished in February if I am still vulnerable. I will ask my oncologist on 22nd June. Of course I am still over 70!

NfkDumpling Fri 29-May-20 11:23:16

It really annoys me that right from the start, there was so much made of the necessity for the majority to go out for an hour to exercise for the benefit of their health and wellbeing. But if you’re having to shield its fine to spend twelve weeks in isolation, for many in a one bedroom flat with no outside space. Now, as the majority are able to do more and more, Shielders aren’t even supposed to go out in a quite place for exercise. It’s almost as if they want those who have health problems to get less fit and eventually snuff it - but I’m getting paranoid!

Rosalyn69 Fri 29-May-20 11:55:18

Accurate information about anything is in short supply and subject to interpretation. In the end we each have to decide for ourselves on individual advice from our doctor or consultant. There are no blanket rules.
BIL is extremely vulnerable and he has made the informed decision to stay home because that’s best for him.
Perhaps we want someone to blame if we make the wrong decision?

Dorsetcupcake61 Fri 29-May-20 12:40:26

I think the level of the virus is still a risk. One perspective would be that one strong emphasis was to protect the NHS and that has been achieved,I'm not sure how much the government actually cares about the vulnerable/shielded groups. The advice on gov.uk for vulnerable people has subtly changed to stay indoors where possible and minimize contact with people outside your household. Stay safe everyone.

Rosalyn69 Fri 29-May-20 13:48:31

Dorsetcupcake. I agree.

growstuff Fri 29-May-20 13:54:01

No, I don't think that comment about blame is fair at all. In fact, I think it's quite snide. Accurate and clear information would be quite sufficient.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 29-May-20 17:08:53

Article about the issue.

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/27/phone-texts-notify-cancer-transplant-and-asthma-patients-they-are-off-shielding-list

Rosalyn69 Fri 29-May-20 18:03:36

I stand by the blame comment. It’s not personal to anyone. It’s a statement. There is a blame culture - it’s always someone else’s fault.

Rosalyn69 Fri 29-May-20 18:05:23

Snide?

Furret Sat 30-May-20 07:25:55

It occurs to me, as I listen to the garbage (and lies) spouted by the idiots at the top and compare it to the posts I’m reading on here, that it’s up to us to do what we think best.

More common sense from GN poster who know their own situation better than Boris, or Matt or those incompetents in PHE.

Urmstongran Sat 30-May-20 07:45:24

Minutes of SAGE meetings from the end of January up to 5th May were released yesterday. . Apparently the R0 rate in the community is at 0.5 - the figures of ‘up to 0.9’ were because infection rates in care homes and hospitals are grouped as a whole by the scientists. Seems it’s a lot less out there than we were old.

Furret Sat 30-May-20 07:55:46

Yes, but that almost a month behind. In a fast-moving epidemic we need up-to-date stats.

dragonfly46 Sat 30-May-20 07:56:45

I hope that’s true Urms as it gives us hope that it is at least safe to go for a walk.

Liz46 Sat 30-May-20 08:30:10

I have had three letters, a text and two phone calls. After staying in for six weeks I could tell my health was deteriorating so we now go out and walk round the local football field or by the river. We find quiet spots and any people we see want to avoid us as much as we want to avoid them! People seem much friendlier and there is a smile and a wave as we keep clear of each other! My first letter was 23 March and my third letter supposedly keeps me in until 14 July.
We are being very careful but I need exercise. I have a lung problem and keep as fit as possible by walking.

BlueSky Sat 30-May-20 09:20:07

I've wondered from the beginning why the 'shielded' group were instructed never to leave the house, even for exercise. I know it wouldn't be a good idea if you lived in a busy area, but they could have said you could exercise outdoors if you lived in a quiet area or if you were able to drive a short distance to a quiet area. I know some people used to walking have found this distressing. Obviously if it doesn't bother you as you don't usually go out anyway, then it's fine.

Callistemon Sat 30-May-20 09:28:12

Yes, it is very annoying, Bluesky.
The only way out of here is via steep hills so to find a level walk is a short drive which is Against the Rules, even to test one's eyesight.
At least we have garden which is more than some people.

dragonfly can you have a blood test to check if your immune system is back to a reasonable level? Check with your oncologist and perhaps the nurse at your local surgery will take a blood sample to send off.

growstuff Sat 30-May-20 09:28:51

What is your source that the R number in the community is 0.5 Urmstongran?

According to the KCL Covid-19 tracker, the infection rate in my area isn't decreasing, which would imply that the R rate is still about 1.

There are still too many people wandering around who could be infected but don't know it for me to feel safe venturing out.

The track and test system isn't working yet. While it might give local generalised data, it won't actually do anything to stop the spread of infection until the whole system of testing is quicker.

Callistemon Sat 30-May-20 09:30:10

Yes, but Furret, not everyone is as sensible or wise as we Gransnetters!

Purplepoppies Mon 01-Jun-20 08:02:47

magsmay55,my letting agent very aggressively have demanded access to do the gas safety check.
Whilst I understand it's a legal requirement I really didn't see why a couple of weeks would make a difference when the boiler (piece of junk) has been serviced and tinkered with often when it breaks down!
I agreed to it being done the day before the last one runs out.
I will insist the engineer wears gloves and a mask (letting the agent know beforehe calls). If he doesn't arrive with these I'm sorry but I won't be letting him in !!

Hetty58 Mon 01-Jun-20 08:20:57

Callistemon, a short drive is not 'against the rules'. It's acceptable to drive to a place to exercise - as long as the drive time is less than the time spent exercising. Thank Heavens, we can even sit down for a while!

Franbern Mon 01-Jun-20 09:17:00

My shielded daughter has gone for a daily run v. early each morning in the woodland near to her home on the outskirts of London. Never sees anyone else. She gets back to her house, showers, dresses and then settles down to a day working from home.

After work, she sits in her own garden and relaxes.

Exercise has always been v. important to her, and she continues to do yoga, etc. in an on-line class regularly. Nothing in her letter about NOT going out.

Callistemon Mon 01-Jun-20 10:54:41

Hetty driving to exercise was not permitted here. Even now, no-one is permitted to drive more than 5 miles.

Iam64 Mon 01-Jun-20 20:15:17

I was initially told I didn't need to shield, "just be very careful". Then six weeks in I got the dreaded three page letter, do not leave your house, do not put your bins out, do not share your bedroom, eat your meals separately etc.
I had been following the shielding advice since mid March, other than, I'd been walking my dogs every morning, in a quiet area, early. I had seen my adult children from over the 2 metre distance in my back garden, on Mother's Day and on my Birthday.
I decided to continue this way of life and have done so. I don't intend to change much. The virus hasn't changed, it still poses a significant threat to me, as the dreaded letter makes frighteningly clear
I wanted to support this government because I feel we need to pull together but - the mismanagement and dishonesty convinces me that the sudden freeing up for the clinically vulnerable is based on reasons other than our safety.