Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The Lockdown Gang - on parole!

(1001 Posts)
Doodle Sun 31-May-20 14:37:15

Welcome to all on the shielded list and those not going out (much) .

Dreamkeeper Mon 01-Jun-20 13:55:35

The Dean of Canterbury Cathedral had surely read my very thoughts?????

Indeed Doodle we are having the joy of working out ways and means for this visit,so the mood has certainly been lifted.Althoughh everyone I speak to are simply terrified still.

Glorious day,and like you Grammeretto am desperate for some real summer like clothing and awaiting a delivery,best make it soon before our lovely hot weather vanishes! It is having a blip mid week, but hopefully not much more than that,we do need a short breather I suppose....chores need doing.

Great news that you caught up with us Bradford;lass news travels fast,even as far as NZ!!!

Am being hurried to join my inpatient "other half" whom is heading out for some sunshine.

Catch you all later,must have my daily fix at least so a big vote of thanks Doodle You enjoy the sunshine too.

Grammaretto Mon 01-Jun-20 18:33:11

I'm all for a vote of thanks for our tireless guvnor! Hip hip hoorah???!!
Did anyone notice the Queen riding past on her pony? I'll bet she's missing her official birthday.

A friend has called round and is staying to tea so I think we are relaxing the rules a bit. We will stay outside in the sun.?

Doodle Mon 01-Jun-20 18:56:32

grammaretto how nice to have a friend for tea. Enjoy yourselves.

Marydoll Mon 01-Jun-20 20:13:44

Evening all.

That sounds lovely Gramamretto. We had a flying visit from our DGD, who was visiting her other granny, our neighbour.
It's all very difficult, as granny times how long DIL stays. sad and she has totally ignored the fact that we are in lockdown and there are regulations to abide by, compromising everyone. angry

I had a major wobble , (fine now), culminating in a major fallout with DD, her fault, I have to say. I then just let everything get on top of me.
Seeing people starting to get out and about only highlighted for me how vulnerable we still are.

DH declined his first offer of a game of golf today to keep me safe. That made me feel really bad, even more so, because he had kept quiet about the offer. I only found out by accident.
I was consumed by guilt about how much he has had to give up to keep me safe, yet never complains.

Late afternoon, a beautiful large bouquet arrived from DD to apologise, as she knew I was low. That set me off again! ?

Tomorrow is another day, who knows what it will bring!
Sleep well folks.

dragonfly46 Mon 01-Jun-20 20:56:26

Sorry to hear you had a wobble Mary. Mothers and daughters are prone to fallouts in my experience.

I have just been upset by our neighbour complaining about us cutting back his tree. We only had the branches cut on our side but he felt we had gone too far. As he was so unpleasant I did tell him the roots from the tree are very near our drains and he will be liable for any damage. Unfortunately the builders planted the trees and previously we paid to have a willow, which was planted on his land but 3 feet from our house, cut down. Fortunately they are not neighbours we usually have anything to do with. It is very upsetting though.

Mamissimo Mon 01-Jun-20 22:20:39

So much awkwardness in the penitentiary tonight - it’s miserable when neighbours are over invested in defending their interests. We live next door to Grumpy Guts so he always get my best smile ? I’d like to deck him really but I won’t join in his game.

I was very unwell again For three hours last night so got in touch with my consultant. She cheerily told me that if the pain makes me pass out I should go to A&E and then she could help me. She said the NHS wasn’t quite as open as the govt suggests unless it’s life or death. I’m hoping a good nights sleep might settle things a bit.

I’m afraid my very dodgy humour almost got the better of me earlier.....the several mentions of turrets by Doodle and panache made me idly wonder if shielded people develop turrets syndrome.....

Sleep tight everyone

Missedout Mon 01-Jun-20 23:01:26

Hello all, it's been a quiet day, I didn't go out for a walk but used my exercise bike and managed 5 non-stop circuits (clockwise) of the garden on my (real) bike. I can't manage anti-clockwise yet but I'm making progress, the bird feeder is proving obstructive. Some hula hooping then a Pilates class completed my physical activity for today.

Mammissimo, I posted at the end of the previous Lockdown thread that I'd had my gall bladder removed several years ago. At the time, I was working, one son still lived at home, redundancy loomed for my husband and my mother's dementia was taking its toll. I didn't realise how many antacid tablets I was taking but I can remember pacing up and down our upstairs landing in terrible pain. I ended up going to hospital in an ambulance and my gall bladder was removed 2 days later. It's all a blur now but I remember the pain. I hope you get yours sorted out and don't get to that stage.

I'm sorry Marydoll had a wobble. My youngest moved out (to a rented room in a house) at the start of lockdown to protect me but he is alone, recovering from a recent breakup and I am worried about him. He came over and socially distanced in our garden for a little while. I'm afraid I was upset after he left, so there is another 'wobbler' here too.

Tomorrow, I have to arrange some birthday presents, send recipes to DIL and write a little instalment of a story for my eldest DGD to read. That will keep me quiet!

I hope you all sleep well. Thank you Doodle for you splendid hospitality.

Missedout Mon 01-Jun-20 23:06:40

I don't s**** think I have b*** s** it developed ** turrets syndrome yet!

Doodle Mon 01-Jun-20 23:16:21

marydoll, other granny sounds a bit of a nightmare. Fancy timing how long your DIL visits for. Sorry about your fall out with DD but so glad you have made up. The flowers were a nice touch.
Nice of your DH to give up his golf for you but don’t feel too bad about it. My DH is the shielded one and I haven’t been out without him since the lockdown started. I expect you are far more precious to your DH than a game of golf and I doubt if he really minds. I would rather stay in with DH than cause him any potential harm by mixing with others. Hope you sleep well tonight. ?
Sorry you’ve been upset dragonfly. Rules regarding trees are quite clear and the branches should not hang over your fence. I think you should give him his branches back and tell him where to put them.?
We are lucky here to have lovely neighbours but we have in the past lived next to an obnoxious man who used to shout at his wife and generally be unpleasant to anyone who crossed his path.
mamissimo so sorry you are in pain again. I remember my mum having gallstone pain and she said it was really bad. I have had kidney stones and that was bad enough. I think gallstones must be far worse.
I’m glad to see your sense of humour is still intact. ? turrets syndrome indeed!
cherry I hope your chest pain has gone now and you are ok.
Hope you all sleep well in your new comfy beds.
Don’t forget, grammaretto will be doing the rounds early in the morning so make sure you’re all on your best behaviour or you won’t get your croissants and morning cuppa. ?

Grammaretto Mon 01-Jun-20 23:19:23

I am so sorry you have been low MaryDoll. I don't suppose the gloves turned up? My parcel didn't though I got yet another email to say it's on its way.

It's hard receiving favours and feeling guilty for others missing out. ((hugs))
Maybe it's the heat?

Sorry about your neighbour and the branches Dragonfly
You can do without this nastiness.

Oh dear Mamissimo your consultant wasn't very encouraging. I hope you are feeling better and you must contact emergency services if you are very ill, although how you do that when you are unconscious I am not sure. Are you in a queue for an operation?

And Missedout you will be feeling tearie after seeing your DS. When they are unhappy we want to help but know we aren't the answer.

Hot chocolate tonight please Guv. I think I've caught the sun.

dragonfly46 Tue 02-Jun-20 08:50:18

Good morning the locked up gang.

I hope you had a better night Mamissimo and the pain has gone. I had my gall bladder out years ago as they found a polyp by accident. Fortunately I had no pain.

I hope everyone is feeling cheery this morning.

Grammaretto Tue 02-Jun-20 08:50:42

Apologies Doodle . I slept in.
Perhaps I am not suited for the job of assistant Guv after all.

I hope you my cellmates are either still sleeping, enjoying your breakfast, or supper in BL's case.

I have been anointing my beloved's feet with coconut oil and how do you start your day?

He's still having his breakfast in the garden where it's already very hot.
Yoga class this morning and I shall have to open windows.

BradfordLass73 Tue 02-Jun-20 09:19:11

I had hoped to tell you a bit of good news (and I will) but then I read all the sad things happening to my friends here and I felt so sorry.

As I was preparing to post, I received an email to say my elderly friend, Micki is in hospital again. So I'm a bit woeful too now sad

She's the 90 year old I went to look after prior to Lockdown, when she'd had another fall.
She's now refused treatment for something that will 'see her off' but is accepting palliative care.

Last week, I sent her one of my blow-heaters because she has an open fire which, she told me, the support person wouldn't light - and an old 2 bar electric with no safety features.

I so much want to go see her but the hospital she's in is the other side of the city and there's no one to take me.

The Hospital Shuttle isn't running, as far as I know, but I've left a message on their answerphone, just in case.

The good news is that a friend offered today, to pick me up on Thursday and take me to a fabric shop so I can buy material to make an 'invention' I first made for my 2nd son and now want to make for his daughter.

It has multi-uses, depending how you tie it: as a sleeping bag, a cuddleup in a pushchair, a hooded robe and a blanket. It changes size as the baby grows.

I shall enjoy choosing the fabric, one side patterned (poly-cotton?), the othe fleecy.

Small joys eh? But joys nonetheless.

Doodle Rufus PMd me so I sent him the link to my blog and our new thread here.
I hope he comes back to us - he'd enjoy the hot pools I think. smile

I'm working on the last blog entry which I'll put up tomorrow (Wednesday).

Doodle Tue 02-Jun-20 11:31:55

missedout I’m sorry I didn’t see your post last night. You must have posted whilst I was slowly typing mine and I didn’t see it till this morning. So sorry you are worried about your son. Must be difficult for you both with the restrictions in place at the moment. Hope you have a better day today.
Your physical exercise is an example to us all. I have a hula hoop but haven’t used it for weeks. It is a large heavy one for exercise....not sure it’s big enough to get round my tummy at the moment.
grammaretto you might have slept in but you were still here much earlier than me ?. I actually use Aveeno cream on my DHs feet ?. With his blood cancer he has to be careful not to get any ulcers or cracks in his skin. You all put me to shame with your exercising.
dragonfly hope you are ok and have a good day too. Hope your neighbour calms down and doesn’t cause you any more upset.
bradfordlass it is strange to hear you talk about heaters while we are in full sun here. So sorry about your friend but I think sometimes making a conscious decision on not to continue treatment can be for the best. I am sure she appreciates your friendship and will understand if you can’t get to see her.
We must never be afraid to post good news or bad. Life is full of ups and downs and our own downs shouldn’t make us begrudge others happiness and sharing worries can help too. If we are here to support each other that means we share each other’s good times as well. I am glad you are going to get out to buy some material. Your invention sounds fascinating and how lovely to be making something for your granddaughter to be that you made for her father.?. Will you be able to share a picture when it’s finished. It sounds most interesting.
panache hope you and Mr P have a nice walk today.
Have a good day all ?

Dreamkeeper Tue 02-Jun-20 12:01:15

`Morning my fellow cell mates on another,possibly the last very warm day for a while,glorious skies and sunshine for today though.Well it was morning when I first started but does`nt the time fly when lost in the land of our prison tales??!

Having probably had an overdose of sun,resulting in me falling asleep before 9 pm last night,very unusually for me..........I slept the whole night through (minus my numerous loo visits which is my norm) and even my dearest had trouble in getting me to "rise and shine" this early morn.However so many of you seemingly have had your moments of various wobbles so no more of what is going on in our mundane life, but lets concentrate on you to see if I can bring some rays of sunshine into our gloomy penitentionary!!!

Very unpleasant these family fall outs so hopefully it was merely more like just a misunderstanding Marydoll,these certainly do leave that nasty taste in one`s mouth though.At the moment everything seems to get blown out of perportion.
I am sure the heat effect and then this lockdown has brought about many of these petty issues.

Whilst trees are a well known source of problems between neighbours Dragonfly,always very unpleasant as people seem so protective of what they deem to be their sole property,forgetting the other side of a tree or hedge very often causes distress to the neighbour.
By law you can trim back what overhangs into your garden,and I do beliewve you can then,or even must.......hand over these branches to your neighbour.It seems a bit stupid but I think this is how the law works!!!!

Whilst if it remains this Gall Bladder is your main problem giving such pain at the moment Mammissimo, believe me,you have my full sympathy.
It has given me much periods of pain, a frequent week or two in Hospital over some 6 years,and you may remember I underwent two operations for problems arising from the GB two years ago.Then last year it erupted into a life/death operation at Christmas when a golf ball sized gall stone (that had been running amok for a length of time) was removed from a corner lodged in my small intestine.I have already lost most of my main bowel.
The Gall Bladder itself remains in my case, because each Consultant over these years have said it is far too dangerous considering my age and all other major issues.IF only it had been removed when it was first spotted!
I had hoped it would have been removed at Christmas,but no suck luck.
So yes sympathies abound.I sincerely hope you get that much needed relief very soon.
You have far too many other issues so need this one duly sorted.

I am pleased hearing that you too slept in Grammeretto as I thought I was a lone lazy one!!
Mind you I did find this place in a bit of a shambles this morning and I did a very hasty tidy around.......so hasty you would be forgiven if you noticed nothing!
We now have several parcels "adrift" in the mail,and as for the clothes ,if like me,you want them during this hot weather most of all!!......they are a real pain ...in the post and not on our bodies!
I have had to buy for my dear man too, because from virtual skin and bones,on steroids and all else means he is expanding at quite a rate!!! He needs some baggy cool clothing so he can enjoy these scorching days.
Indeed yes it was quite a joy seeing our Queen enjoy her horse ride once again.Of course we tend to forget, first of all her good age.......... as she is so remarkable in so many ways...........but that she too has been in hiding!!!

Perhaps you were thinking of our Queen Doodle when you were talking about searching those turrets!!!!
Hope you both are now feeling very much more relaxed and getting slowly ready to start planning some small,safe excursions.Now that we are legally able too so to speak, we are not quite so desperate!
Perhaps inwardly scared too.
One day virtual prisoners and then with a flick of the switch..........realesed........what has changed I would be keen to know?
Still cannot buy that the risk is THAT low now?
Best making sure first as after doing everything "by the Book* we dare not make mistakes now

How very kind and thoughtful you are Bradfordlass always ready with not only good advice, but willing to give handouts that aim to help,certainly bringing many an uplift.
I can quite understand your 90 year old friend refusing treatment and accepting Palliative care instead,quite frankly I would probably do much the same,certainly if I were of that good age.Such a shame she is so far away from where you live,yet she will be well aware you will be thinking of her and having her best interests in your heart.That means very much.
You may well find your "invention" will be something we shall require you to make for us!!
Have a productive trip to the Fabric shop.
Just hinting,I love sea colours and purple!!!!

You were very fortunate in having your Gall Bladder removed when you did Missedout........far better having it removed to save the many painful years that follow.I could write a book, but quite frankly prefer to TRY forget each episode!!
We try to get 2 walks daily,one prior to lunch and one much later on,we walk around and around our quite large garden,stopping now and again as either one of us need a breather!!
The last few days we have enjoyed a sit in a shady spot in our rear garden,yesterday my dear man fell asleep...........but I never drop off,hence sleeping like a log last night which is quite a treat for me.We hope to have one more afternoon in "our spot" today before the weather breaks.
The bird song is a real treat.

Most within our own penitentionary here avoid the hours between 11am and 4pm since this extremely hot weather.
Even he whom drives around on his scooter seems to be lying low,in between playing miniature golf or bowls on a small area of lawn!!

I guess I will havce overstepped my place yet again but I did have an awful lot of "Catching up" to do.
Wishing you all a very pleasant day,and trusting our dear Guv replenishes the ice bucket and bottles forewith!

Be seeing ya all...........keep safe and keep smiling through.

Grammaretto Tue 02-Jun-20 14:31:24

Thanks for the tip Doodle I will order some online. Whether it will arrive is another matter.
I presume it isn't perfumed. We have been using udder cream and coconut oil. One on each foot to ring the changes and test them out.
I have had yet another email to say the parcel will arrive between 3 and 5 pm today. I doubt it somehow.

My delivery girl brought me a pair of dungarees which I promised to try on. She thinks they'd be good on me. Really?
If I were a few inches taller and several inches narrower, they would be fine but tight, bright dungarees on me. I don't think so.

DH unhelpfully suggested I could lose some weight...

Sorry for all you suffering pain. Touch wood I am pain free at present. It's usually my back which goes and I spend time and money on the osteopath's couch.

Another saving in lockdown.

I don't know whether to water the garden or wait for the rain which is definitely heading this way.

I agree with you Dreamkeeper about the strange messages on suddenly coming out of shielding.
Reading trying to decipher between the lines, in my cynical way, I think the Government are desperate to get the economy going , thus the schools and nurseries are opening for parents to be able to get back to work. Flights resuming as well. For the shielded, they are now pushing the responsibility back to us. Do whatever we want and don't blame them.

Better get a sandwich and watch for the missing PARCEL.

You are just lovely Bradfordlass always thinking of others.
You can get extra rations tonight. Would you like the jade green dungarees?
veratuccioriginals.co.uk/collections/all-italian-linen-1

Mamissimo Tue 02-Jun-20 18:22:06

How many of us have had gallstones issues! I had no idea it was so common. Mine is down to be removed but they can’t do it at the moment because all elective surgery is being done at a private hospital and they wouldn’t have the best facilities if they had to change tack from keyhole to opening me up. Nothing in my body is like other people’s - my F used to say that I was a Friday model, made when everyone was in a hurry to finish work! I have strict instructions to follow and I will do my best.

Luckily I’ve been much better today so I’ll keep eating the rice and no chips!

We took the chance to pay a surprise socially distanced visit to my sister this afternoon. It was the first time I’d seen her since my BiL died recently. It was reassuring and comforting and her family are supporting her well. I will be able to see the service online which is very helpful.

We had to get petrol this afternoon - the first since mid March and it was 40p a litre cheaper. Almost a bargain!

Grammaretto I had to smile at the dungarees - I used to have maternity dungarees because it didn’t matter if my tee shirt popped up over my bump. I looked like one of those roll poly things you run at and they bounce back up. I was having twins and had a 64” waist - almost the same as my height. Happy days.

I’ll be back for a sundowner later

Dreamkeeper Tue 02-Jun-20 18:24:34

Since my timing seems to be very much out of line with my fellow cell mates I will make this short and sweet!!

Another scorcher and we have had our stroll and time sitting outside in the shade,serenaded by the birds.Joined later by a resident of some 6 years whom sadly has since lost his wife here.
He is very smart and well groomed but like us both not very happy with his shaggy hair style!!
He had a whole host of stories to relate so we were very much entertained.

Always back inside to catch the "Update" although we are both getting more and more cynical with the Government and especially their figures.These are completely different to other bodies.
Whilst yes Grammeretto the sudden call to us shielded have not only let us all question and wonder what big difference is now out there that allows this to be safe.
Of course they expect us to please ourselves and thus any consequences to fall on our shoulders and not theirs.
Bah humbug I say!!!!
We are playing a "wait and see" game.

You and I must be telepathic,for strangely enough whilst looking through the `net hoping to find some light loose fitting cotton trousers I came across a page of these very attractive baggy overalls!
I knew of old my man would have loved seeing me in these,but much as I am tempted I rather think I am now ex number of years too late!!
Have you tried them on? You might have a pleasant surprise!
Any luck with the arrival of said parcel?

I have been under the guidance of a dietician since my long periods in Hospital over Christmas and into the New year when I fell to not much more than a bag of bones,thus getting the medics to bring them in.
I was advised I needed to put on at least a stone preferably one and a half.
They have been checking up (via `phone) during this time and were dismayed I was not budging,so would give me loads of advice on how to add more fat and protein to my diet.Much of it was obsolete since I am on a Low Fat diet (darn Gall Bladder again!)
I weighed in this morning and did not know whether to jump for joy or feel truly deflated!!
I have actually added some 8 pounds,thus bringing me up to the almost the lowest point they gave me..........at least that should mean they will not hound me anymore.
I had better keep an eye on my weight from now on though!!Having had weight fluctuating almost all my life,I have rather enjoyed being extra trim!!

Time for our light supper and I feel another sleepy night coming on,must be this sunshine!!!

Weather changing tomorrow so I hope you have all "made hay whilst the sun shone!"
I shall still need my dues Guv,call me greedy,I don`t care!!!
You just treat us so well.
`Night to you all.

Doodle Tue 02-Jun-20 19:42:30

panache your thoughtfulness and your posts are always a delight. Post as much as you like I love to hear from you. Glad, after all the worry, that you are still getting out on your walks in the garden. Weight gain in your case o think is a plus. I have several extra pounds I’d be more than happy to share with you. ? I would take that as a good sign indeed.
I made a mistake today. DH wanted a walk and I thought we could try walking by the road alongside the river. I was a nervous wreck. We didn’t meet that many people but the paths were too narrow to be able to pass safely so we had to keep crossing the road trying to miss the traffic and other walkers. It was not at all relaxing and I won’t suggest that again for a long time.
grammaretto I bought the Aveeno cream for me first because I suffer from very dry skin. The one I buy is made from oats and Shea butter and is for very dry, sensitive and irritable skin. I have found it soothing and nice which is why I use it on DHs feet. I have very sensitive skin but have had no problems with it.
mamissimo glad you are feeling better today. How lovely to get a visit with your sister. Glad she is being well taken care of. It must have been a comfort for her to have a chat to you.
Back later to tuck everyone in ?

Grammaretto Tue 02-Jun-20 19:49:05

I was admitted to hospital for exploratory tests a few years ago due to a fierce pain in my side/tummy. I thought it might be appendicitis.

During the ultrasound scan, the radiologist said casually she could see several gall stones, she counted 9 in fact. I said "is that what's causing the pain then?"
"No she didn't think so. Everyone has a few stones when they get to my age and the pain wasn't in the right place."

It turned out to be a faulty parathyroid gland which had grown enormous - in my neck. I think the pain was caused by a build up of calcium around my bones. Eventually I had an operation to remove the gland and the pain stopped.
Aren't our bodies strange.

Doodle Tue 02-Jun-20 22:20:56

Our bodies are indeed strange grammaretto. I know it sounds really odd but I was looking at my hand the other day and thinking how amazing skin is. Loose enough to bend your fingers and joints but tight enough not to be flappy when not bending. Stretchy enough to accommodate my increasingly large stomach yet shrinking back when I lose weight ..........well at least I hope it will ?
I hope all our gang have a good night tonight. I am going to bed to read. I have borrowed The Testament from our online library and just started it. I didn’t watch the Handmaiden’s Tale on TV so have no idea if this is a sequel or not.
All the usual beverages waiting for you. Just ring for room service ?. Sleep well

Missedout Tue 02-Jun-20 22:33:14

Well, two out of the three things I planned to do today isn't bad. I still haven't ordered birthday presents for delivery next week but managed little letter/story to my eldest DGD and emailed some favourite recipes to one of my DILs (her request - quite flattered).

I went off course a bit, I came off my bike again. The rosemary bush has lost some branches and I have lost some skin, the ground is dry and hard. I was doing OK too, I guess going anti-clockwise was a step too far - I remember an ancient relative talking about going widdershins being unlucky (although I think that's going round a church). I smell of rosemary though.

It sounds good news that Dreamkeeper is putting on weight. I'm at the top end of my comfort range - I think it is the weight of my hair that's making the difference. I also laughed at Mamissimo and Grammaretto's dungaree stories.

I still haven't left home although have cycled 17k on the exercise bike. My hula hoop is also a large, weighted one. I’ve had to build up gradually, I had bruised ribs to start with.

I've got to the stage today that I cannot stand the parliamentary shenanigans. It is bad for my health. I don't trust this government to do what's best for anyone but themselves. Practising deep Pilates breathing, slowly in through the nose, out through the mouth, turn off the news, and relax.

Thank you for your continued hospitality Doodle, I think I need some soothing hot chocolate to help me to sleep. Good night everyone.

Grammaretto Tue 02-Jun-20 22:36:02

A good book, a comfy bed, a well stocked bar .... bliss doodle

I will follow as soon as I've done the dishes. You aren't a very tidy lot !

BradfordLass73 Wed 03-Jun-20 06:36:50

My friend Micki passed away this afternoon, literally as I was writing about Spirits Bay in New Zealand where Maori believe all souls gather before leaving for their spiritual homeland. How amazing is that?

Had a little weep of course but in truth, she was very ill with multiple organ failure and she's told me many times, 'I'm ready to go.'
So after the initial sadness, I have to accept that it was the best thing.

I wrote the last entry of the blog and dedicated it to her.

Grammaretto Wed 03-Jun-20 07:22:35

How amazing BradfordLass she looks like a happy, feisty spirit. I hope she had a good life. I'll read the blog.

My DF was a Kiwi. We took some of his ashes back to where he was born and I scattered them in the fast flowing mountain stream.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion