Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I never thought I’d say this but I wish Theresa May hadn’t quit... *Title edited by GNHQ*

(44 Posts)
Furret Sun 31-May-20 20:36:27

...not because I like her or her politics but somehow I just feel she’d have a better grip on this pandemic.

If we look at Angela Merkel, Jacinda Ardern, Mette Frederikson, Tsai zing-wen as a few examples it looks like women leaders seem to have been handling things better.

I just have the feeling that May might have acted faster and remembered the old folks in homes?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 01-Jun-20 09:47:09

Not so much character traits although I take your point, but populist politics.

Furret Mon 01-Jun-20 10:12:07

Too much of a cliché WW2 - you are usually sharper than that. Does a ‘populist’ leader always have to have the traits admired only by the likes of Trump supporters?

Is not the likes of Jacinda Ardern a popular leader?

Galaxy Mon 01-Jun-20 10:14:26

I think character may come into it too, Johnson for example has a number of character traits which form a perfect storm in this situation, the need to be liked, lack of work ethic, poor attention to detail, and so on. I find it difficult to put my finger on Trumps character as his behaviour is so erratic, but a deep inadequacy is obviously present.

Callistemon Mon 01-Jun-20 10:20:28

Calendargirl, you are right, ScoMo is not that popular. However, I do know some New Zealanders who really dislike Jacinda Ardern - politicians are rarely universally popular.

Australian State Premiers have had a large input into the handling of this crisis too.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 01-Jun-20 11:23:08

furret there is a definition of populist politics which has nothing to do with being popular.

I’m too busy at the moment ( deadheading etc before it gets too hot) just stopped for a break, to give a definition, but I will later if you want?.

I’m at an advantage have done politics as part of my degree?

Gajahgran Mon 01-Jun-20 11:40:29

I do admire what Jacinda Ardfern did in shutting down a week before the UK but New Zealand now faces a big financial hit in their tourist industry. They are also very worried about unemployment and I do not believe people are being supported as our self employed are.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 01-Jun-20 13:43:01

Very interesting Furret and I think it certainly seems to be the case that countries with female leaders have coped better.

It may a reflection of the type of society which elects a female leader, and has more gender parity in institutions. For example it has been shown that businesses with a parity of gender balance perform better financially.

Traditional "male" management style of supervisory, control and power, have not proved as effective as more traditional "feminine" styles such as empathy, compassion, listening and collaboration.
Of course both male and females can behave in a non stereotypical manner.

To quote The Atlantic Women leaders aren't the cause of a better government. They are a symptom of it.
And quote from NYU professor A country that elects a 'strongman' .......is already a troubled country.

Food for thought eh?

Barmeyoldbat Mon 01-Jun-20 14:16:28

Gajagran, Boris has not done a good job, in fact he has messed up big time. At the start,

Allowing the reaching fro go ahead,
Allowing Liverpool v Spain football match
Not bringing in lockdown quick enough
Stopped the tracing
Not enough testing
PPE shortage,
and I could go on, how can anyone think he doing a good job, may next to Trump he is but that is all.

Furret Mon 01-Jun-20 14:50:45

Very interesting post there Greeneyedgirl and ties in nicely with an earlier thought I had that Maw also picked up on.

Thank you WW2 I’ve looked it up myself and the meaning is more specific than I had realised.

This is not aimed specifically at Boris, for those who keep reverting to him, but at all those incompetent men who are more concerned with power and their own egos and asking have women done a better job and why?

I love both of greeneyedgirl’s quotes. Very astute.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 01-Jun-20 15:00:54

??

V3ra Mon 01-Jun-20 18:07:23

We both watched Rishi Sunak's statement last week.
Calm, measured, articulate, empathetic, reassuring.
"Now there's a future leader," said my husband.

Kapitan Mon 01-Jun-20 19:15:42

Women always do a better job. Margaret Thatcher did a good job, getting rid of the communist trade unions, privatising wasteful organisations, and shutting down those air polluting coal mines. And teaching the Argies a lesson. Can't think of many blokes with the balls to do that.

MadCatWoman1 Mon 01-Jun-20 20:30:35

Teresa May was feeble. I always got the impression that she was timid, unable to command any real respect. She made a balls-up of the Brexit situation because she was a Remainer.

Margaret Thatcher would have been superb. We'll never see the likes of a leader like that again.

janeainsworth Mon 01-Jun-20 21:11:40

Margaret Thatcher would have been superb
Madcat there wouldn’t even have been a referendum under Mrs Thatcher.

Furret Mon 01-Jun-20 22:36:41

What’s the point? Just when we were getting to the heart of the matter and it all goes downhill.

Furret Mon 01-Jun-20 22:44:29

Belly, belly, belly, belly and belly! OK,!

lemongrove Mon 01-Jun-20 22:46:46

T May did her best....but her best was rarely good enough.
She wanted to try and please everybody ( impossible and not the actions of a leader.)She made a total mess of the previous GE.
The truth is, that when it comes to leadership material, it doesn’t matter if the PM is a man or a woman, it’s simply the right person.

Furret Mon 01-Jun-20 22:54:04

Like Boris?