Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Kate Garroway

(81 Posts)
MissAdventure Fri 05-Jun-20 15:02:39

She has remained very dignified throughout everything, but was interviewed about her husband.

It's worth watching, because she gives some good (if upsetting) insight to the effects of the virus.

www.itv.com/news/2020-06-05/coronavirus-kate-garraway-wants-just-one-more-miracle-for-hospitalised-husband/

Chickenfeet Sat 06-Jun-20 13:24:44

Grannycrumps ,you don't need to believe the Chinese but they did do a good job to stop the virus, the west didn't believe wearing the mask all the time( still don't),, why Asia has s! JCB a low death rate? It became pandemic because the western world didn't take it seriously and carried on as usual., Let the virus spread liked fire. Life more or less back to normal in China n Asia with some occasional cases,lockdown is lifted but they are still non stop doing the testing n wearing the masks. In UK still hundreds are dying everyday, I am a healthy 73 but will stay indoor as much as I can, definitely use a mask when I go shopping.

Chickenfeet Sat 06-Jun-20 13:28:34

has such

Millieangel Sat 06-Jun-20 14:41:58

Poor Kate. I feel so sorry for her & the children. The interview was so upsetting. A very brave lady.

Sparkling Sat 06-Jun-20 14:45:34

So very upsetting watching Kate, what a wonderful family, I pray a miracle will happen and he will recover. Miracles do happen.

earnshaw Sat 06-Jun-20 14:46:51

having watched kate garraway in I`m a celebrity get me out of her, i saw what a strong nice lady she is, this awful news about her husband reinforces that, for him to be ill for so long and in a coma,,,, all the protesters should think of him and lots more like him . suffering with this awful virus. you are risking more lives being lost, what is the point of the government advising us what we should be doing when they are just blatantly ignoring, save your protests till we are virus free,,, please

Bluecat Sat 06-Jun-20 16:20:18

I am afraid I had never heard of Kate Garraway. Her husband is evidently extremely ill. I am sorry for her and her family. It shows what a dreadful thing this virus is.

Catterygirl Sat 06-Jun-20 16:23:51

I have always loved Kate's bubbly personality and haven't exactly met her but saw her outside the clinic where Derek was a psychotherapist and was introduced to him by the clinic owner as my medical appointment was slightly delayed by a film crew. I worked in TV in my thirties and before Covid, worked as a film extra. I have been thinking about him a lot and how he must have helped so many people needing psychiatric help. I hope he recovers.

Flakesdayout Sat 06-Jun-20 16:30:46

Firstly I saw Kate on the TV and her interview was very upsetting and I like many others were moved by it and I do hope Derek makes a good recovery.

I am Blood Group A neg with anti C & D's. I take BP meds as my current medication raises my blood pressure. I am on immuno-suppressants so now I am going to bed, hiding under the duvet and will stay there !!!

trisher Sat 06-Jun-20 16:36:35

craftyone can I ask what you propose to do if your oxygen level is low? If it is low enough to need medical intervention you will know that without resorting to any machine. If it isn't what is the point?
I read an very interesting article from the Spectator recently about an ICU doctor in a London hospital. It wasn't an easy read but it gave some details about the treatment and these were quite harrowing.

Bamm Sat 06-Jun-20 17:03:29

trisher , I saw an article by an intensive care doctor ( Can't remember where,) who said that with this illness he has seen patients who can seem to function almost normally with very low levels of oxygen in their blood and that he had never seen this before. He advised people who were at home with coronavirus to check oxygen levels and get help at once if levels became low as early intervention if this happened gave the best outcome.

Callistemon Sat 06-Jun-20 17:07:05

tuller that sounds horrendous, I hope your brother makes a full recovery although it will be a slow process. The effects of this virus on some people, even if they recover, can be devastating.
I did see a man on tv who had recovered but he had a long road to recovery ahead of him. He had lost three and a half stone too and I wondered if that is your brother?
Best wishes to you all.

trisher Sat 06-Jun-20 17:31:19

Bamm that is interesting but was he also saying there were no other symptoms? I agree if you have the virus your oxygen levels should be checked but checking them regularly or every day with your own meter is a bit unnecessary. You could have a faulty meter and finish up calling out emergency services for no real reason. If you have the virus and have been tested you should be getting medical advice anyway.

Bamm Sat 06-Jun-20 18:18:25

Yes, I think they were people who had symptoms of the virus and isolating at home but strangely didn't have the usual symptoms of low oxygen levels in blood so were unaware of the danger and didn't call for help fast enough. I don't think it was usual, just something to be aware of.

MissAdventure Sat 06-Jun-20 18:33:44

That's very similar to the Kate interview.
Didn't want to put strain on emergency services, and because the symptoms didn't follow those flagged up, they weren't sure what to do.

EllanVannin Sat 06-Jun-20 18:49:16

It seems ironic that older people, or those in their 50's onwards are more likely to get the disease yet having lived long enough to have built up an immunity ( apart from the sick ones ) should fall foul of something like this, yet the younger generation who weren't around when childhood illnesses were prevalent so therefore haven't yet built up an immunity, don't suffer this virus ?

I know measles and chickenpox still strikes but not as it used to do because of vaccination programmes. Maybe it gives a certain amount of protection, I don't know.

growstuff Sat 06-Jun-20 19:00:17

You can't build up immunity to a virus which hasn't been known in humans before. Each immune response is specific.

MayBee70 Sat 06-Jun-20 19:07:06

Measles vaccination programmes have been affected by the Covid pandemic and there is now the worry of many children dying of measles. Dr John Campbell was saying in a recent blog that he’s now more concerned about measles than Covid.

MayBee70 Sat 06-Jun-20 19:09:51

A lot of people seem to have bad headaches as a first symptom of Covid: it’s unfortunate that information only refers to several symptoms: look how long it took for loss of taste/smell was officially recognised as a symptom.

MamaCaz Sat 06-Jun-20 19:21:25

Bamm£
... I saw an article by an intensive care doctor ( Can't remember where,) who said that with this illness he has seen patients who can seem to function almost normally with very low levels of oxygen in their blood and that he had never seen this before. He advised people who were at home with coronavirus to check oxygen levels and get help at once if levels became low as early intervention if this happened gave the best outcome.

I remember hearing or reading that too - many people with low oxygen levels in their blood were showing no signs of breathlessness.
Happy hypoxia, I think it was called.

tuller Sat 06-Jun-20 20:37:28

Thank you for your kind words, no it wasn't my brother, and yes it does affect each person differently. The only way we could comprehend what was happening to him (and others) was watching TV coverage of the ICU wards, it was frightening. How people have ignored the lockdown rules, taking risks and putting other people at risk, is beyond me. All the best to all who are suffering this ordeal, patients and family I truly wish you well x

janipat Sat 06-Jun-20 23:56:44

MayBee70 has mentioned Dr John Campbell, and I "found" him by the recommendation of someone on GN. I can't remember who that was, but grateful thanks from me. He (along with quite a few others) really believes vitamin D deficiency, which impacts the immune system, is a contributing factor to how severe Covid19 affects an individual. It seems a very likely explanation as to why people of colour are disproportionately represented in the death rates. You can find his videos on youtube, they're a daily watch for me. He is a genuine, compassionate man who tells it like it is.

growstuff Sun 07-Jun-20 01:12:10

If I were from a BAME background, I would certainly take a Vit D supplement. However, IMO it's not the whole story. There needs to be urgent analysis of what's going on and recommendations to reduce the number of deaths, which the PHE report failed to do.

Larraine1 Sun 07-Jun-20 10:40:00

My husbands not long come out of hospital all wards are closed to visitors.

MissAdventure Sun 07-Jun-20 12:01:49

As far as I know, even the young couple in my block of flats have strict rules to follow when she has her baby (anytime soon)

Husband is allowed in with her for an hour at some point, I think. Perhaps when the baby is actually 'out', I think she said?

Sparkling Wed 24-Mar-21 07:52:59

Kate is an inspiration. For better or worse, steadfast and loving. Our NHS are truly wonderful, do hope Kate gets her beloved husband home. How I wanted to put my arm around her, she just keeps going on, optimistic and hopeful.