Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I’ve been out! I’ve been out!

(63 Posts)
25Avalon Sat 06-Jun-20 13:41:02

I’ve not been far, nor have I met any body. I got in my car and drove 4 miles behind my DD to the petrol station where she used her mobile app and filled my car up with petrol. I waved to the man in front when I got the wrong pump then drove home. I did not get out of the car at any time but what a feeling of euphoria! I am fortunate to have a big house and large wilderness garden I have kept busy in but was beginning
to feel disconnected. I feel reconnected although still self isolating with DH. Anyone else felt the same or have I just become pathetic?

Gingergirl Sun 07-Jun-20 11:13:59

Yes I think it is all too easy to stay in but probably not the best idea. This will pass and then there will be no choice....better to go out every day for a few minutes at least, even if it feels nerve wracking . I just do a loop round a few roads if I don’t want to tackle shops or busy parks. It does make you feel you’re part of the real world at least. (Even if it’s not that great a world at the moment!)

Theoddbird Sun 07-Jun-20 11:16:45

I do a click and collect every 2 weeks and so enjoy the drive to Sainsbury's so can understand how you felt. A change of scenery is good for you smile

SusieFlo Sun 07-Jun-20 11:40:58

Go for it Merlotgran!

Daisyboots Sun 07-Jun-20 12:12:27

Go for it Merlotgran because I am sure your husband will like it. I hadnt been anywhere since mid February except down the empty motorway to the hospital for my chemo treatment. Then 3 weeks ago after my treatment my DH did not drive back home via the motorway but took a long trip along the normal roads back to our house. It was like seeing everywhere for the first time. It really did me a power of good and I am sure your husband will enjoy a drive out especially with a picnic too.

4allweknow Sun 07-Jun-20 12:22:13

Wonderful you feel good about your trip out. I, having been out and experienced the utter selfishness and complacency that is going on think I will be venturing out on rare occasions. Fed up with shoppers who having been forced to queue at a distance in the open air just abandon all social distancing once in a store. Can't even go for a walk in my area, backing onto a woodland park. Cyclists everywhere, pavements, paths speeding along with absolutely no consideration for others. Attempted a stroll yesterday only to be nearly mown down by 4 cyclists one behind the other speeding round the corner on the pavement. I give up.

Romola Sun 07-Jun-20 12:52:09

Well done 25Avalon. I've been into the post office once, to post a present I made for my GS's birthday. It felt very strange. But DS and DiL rang yesterday to suggest we meet them at an NT site half-way between our homes, for a walk and picnic (BYO) next weekend. Can't wait!

NfkDumpling Sun 07-Jun-20 13:09:04

DH is the shieldee in our house so I’ve been staying in with him. We stayed in when Boris first recommended it two weeks before the official lock down date and a couple of weeks ago had reached wall head banging state. So we got in our virus free car (two metres from the front door), drove to the boatyard (still closed at the time) and went out on our little virus free boat. It was heaven.

Since then we’ve been going out regularly a couple of times a week. Driving to a deserted spot and going for a walk, then actually walking into town when it was quiet. Everyone in town (we have a high elderly population) is very sensible and distance widely and politely. It’s lovely to be able to meet and chat with people albeit at a distance, and buy from market stalls. We haven’t braved supermarkets or anywhere indoors yet. We do live in an area where the estimated R rate is .3 so the chances of meeting the virus is reasonably low.

JaneRn Sun 07-Jun-20 13:17:09

I have always tried to walk for at least an hour every day and have been doing the same during lockdown.

Nothing would tempt me to visit a supermarket or any other store at present and I am beginning to wonder whether the regular visits to M&S or John Lewis are a thing of the past. Groceries delivered, anything else bought on line including a cooker, extra freezer and various bits and pieces for the garden or sewing. Are we seeing the death of the High Street?

HannahLoisLuke Sun 07-Jun-20 13:29:58

Except for visits to the eye clinic I hadn't left home since beginning of March, before the official lockdown as I have health problems. Then I got the shielding letter so that made me even more cautious. However after my daughter charged up my flat car battery I decided I had to keep it charged ready for when I need it so have been going for a drive every other day, clocked up 100 miles so far to go nowhere!
The feeling of freedom is great though and at least I'm getting used to being on the road again. So go for it Merlot, it will do you both the world of good.

lizzypopbottle Sun 07-Jun-20 13:43:41

I signed up to Lloyds Pharmacy's Echo service. It's free and my meds arrive through the post. They contact your GP for prescription info and permission.

Rosalyn69 Sun 07-Jun-20 13:45:56

It’s lovely to have an outing. My husband and I drive to the nearest Starbucks drive through a couple of times a week for a luxury coffee which we drink in the car on the way home. It’s a real treat.

annodomini Sun 07-Jun-20 13:57:58

I felt liberated when I was able to take the car out, having had Green Flag out to re-charge the battery. I've been cautious, having a brew with a friend in her garden, at more than 2 metres distance, and a couple of trips to Waitrose, in the hour before closing, when it's very quiet. I'm 79 and have my sons' approval!

rowanflower0 Sun 07-Jun-20 14:19:52

I had not been out since lockdown - don't exercise because of disability, chemist delivers and let other half do the supermarket trips as he was going 'stir crazy'! Going to the garden centre 3 days ago was great - felt almost 'normal', got veggie plants and cotrus-compost. Ernt to sister-in-law's garden yesterday, left her belated birthday present , sat and talked for 5 min, before hail-storm arrived and chased us away, went to supermarket and realised that apart from the brousing I wasn't missing a thing.

NannyC1 Sun 07-Jun-20 14:29:36

My SIL collected me in his car(I sat behind him with my mask on) and took me to their home to sit in the garden. It was wonderful to see my DD and DGD after 12 weeks shielding.
Our local council has just informed us that the R rate has gone to 1.1 so I'm locking myself back down again.

gillyknits Sun 07-Jun-20 14:47:12

I went out for the first time last week. Just a short run in the car as I’m shielded and at that time, wasn’t allowed out. It was good to be out but I felt that I had swapped one “bubble” (home) for another “bubble” (the car)
Next step is to go out for a proper walk even if the weather isn’t being kind at the moment!

Blinko Sun 07-Jun-20 15:31:36

I've been accompanying a friend each morning when she walks her dog. All weathers. It's grand!

allule Sun 07-Jun-20 15:37:46

When lockdown started, I thought it would be for a few weeks, and then things would be under control and we would be able to go out again.
I really cant see that this is going to happen, and get very low at the long term prospects, or lack of them.

BazingaGranny Sun 07-Jun-20 15:58:21

Dear 25Avonalon and Merlotgran, glad you’ve both been out. I’m not shielding but am being careful, and I go out carefully everyday. One or two shops I’ll now avoid, as the customers seem stressed, sweary and pushy. A walk locally or a drive to somewhere pretty, even if the weather is bad, can help tremendously.

Let’s hope that a vaccine will be ready soon. Keep safe but not scared ???

Barmeyoldbat Sun 07-Jun-20 16:06:36

I should stay in as as I am 73 with medical conditions including a damaged lung but it has been impossible. Thursday I had a phone call from daughter and I was concerned about her so I drove the 55 miles to her house and I am so glad I did because while I was there her speech went all funny and she couldn't stand. Called 999 and they came within 15 minutes. Decided it was a stroke so off to hospital, 32 miles in the other direction from home, blue lights flashing. They were very good at the hospital and let me be with her due to her learning difficulties. Anyway to cut a long story short wasn't a stroke but are keeping her in. So I went back to her house picked up the cat and drove home. Got home at 8.30 with the cat sat on the back seat because he had escaped from his cat box!! Was not a happy cat but has settled in. Will now have to go back down to her house when they discharge her so I can sort out food and care and return the cat. So, so much for lockdown for me.

Greciangirl Sun 07-Jun-20 16:09:42

For heavens sake, what is the matter with most of you.

You have all become scaredy-cats, pussyfooting around.

Some of you won’t even get out of your cars and take in some fresh air.

None of us can stay in indefinitely, so now might be a good time to take a few tentative steps outside.
Don’t let paranoia rule your life. It’s feeble.

Callistemon Sun 07-Jun-20 16:30:30

Having been told to stay at home then many who had the shielding letter thought that was the best course of action.

I went out today and encountered the traffic fumes.
Frankly, the air is fresher in my own garden and the birds sing louder here.
Lovely!

it's feeble
An you are rude and unpleasant.

Callistemon Sun 07-Jun-20 16:34:21

Barmeyoldbat I hope your daughter will recover well and it's nothing serious.

Judy54 Sun 07-Jun-20 16:48:40

No Greciangirl we cannot stay indoors indefinitely but it does not make those choosing to do so feeble. Like 4allweknow my experience has been of cyclists on the pavement, joggers who feel they have more rights than me and people letting their dogs loose in the fields. Last time I ventured out a large dog off a lead jumped on me and the owner said it was my fault for being there as if it was exclusively for dog owners. Not a nice experience at all so for now will stick to my garden where I can find peace and quiet.

Foxglove77 Sun 07-Jun-20 17:37:32

Gingergirl congratulations on your little trip out. It is liberating and the beginning of getting back to normality. I have been shopping for my Aunt who is 82 and very independent, drives her own car etc. I have fetched groceries and left on her doorstep. Today I checked if she needed anything and she said she'd been to the supermarket for the first time and it went ok so she no longer needed any help. I said that was great but if she needed help with anything heavy to let me know. I hope things continue to improve.

Legs55 Sun 07-Jun-20 17:38:03

I have been going out a couple of times a week to shop for myself & my neighbour, I am 64 & a Type 2 Diabetic, my neighbour is 74 & also Diabetic. I do go to the Supermarkets but usually early morning when there's less people around. I've met DD a couple of times. Hopefully I'll get to see DGSs soon, the elder one wasn't well last week so it's a "rain check" for now.

I'm glad I've been able to get out, my neighbour is climbing the walls & is very wary about going out to the shops but I think she will give in soon. I worry that those who haven't been out will find it difficult to leave home.

I've had some Podiatry Appointments at the local Hospital, temperature checked & face mask to be worn at my last 2 visits. At least my car gets a few good runs instead of just a couple of miles into Town.