Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

AIBU No going back to school I’m furious.

(899 Posts)
12rg12ja Wed 10-Jun-20 11:59:03

What is the matter with everyone why can’t children who are at very little risk of coronavirus not go back to school.
Surely it would be better for everyone those that don’t want to be in contact can self isolate. I am fortunate that my grandson is in yr 6 so has gone back but I feel desperate for all the others and those parents who can’t work with no childcare. I feel we are bringing up a generation who will be scared of everything Sorry for the rant but don’t think I’ve ever felt so strongly about anything Show me a March and I’ll be there!

Furret Thu 25-Jun-20 11:20:32

Wow! A blackboard! Haven’t seen one of those in 20 or more years.

Furret Thu 25-Jun-20 11:25:47

Make that 30 years.

Ellianne Thu 25-Jun-20 11:35:13

Are you sure it isn't a screen Furret? There's electric cables above and a white board for writing.
You just reminded me of that horrible chalk scraping sound. Eek!

trisher Thu 25-Jun-20 11:36:20

I looked at that but wondered where on earth my GC's school could put a marquee that size. I suppose the blackboard is because there is no electricity. Then I wondered about loos and hand washing. Then I thought why bother? It's lovely weather my GCs are out playing in the fresh air, better than sitting in a boiling hot tent unable to move. Education involves more than putting bums on seats.

MawB Thu 25-Jun-20 11:37:57

I apologise (but not a lot) if I lowered the tone, but now back to work, children.
Had you all seen this?
Social distancing will not be applied in schools, and “bubbles” will be expanded to enable all pupils to return to their classes in September, the Government will announce next week
Pupils will not be expected to keep two metres or even one metre apart at all times while in the school building
Instead, schools will be asked to focus on limiting the extent to which children mix outside their class or year group and on implementing strict hygiene regimes
The solution to reopening schools will involve groups of children being placed in “bubbles” – already the case in primaries – and is seen by the Government as removing the need for social distancing. The Prime Minister told the Commons this week that primary and secondary schools would reopen in September with full attendance but declined to explain how this would be achieved

(Today’s DT.)

Urmstongran Thu 25-Jun-20 11:43:58

Surely if people can travel together by plane from next week - involving airport queues and sitting for hours on a plane - surely schools can open in September? Just a different ‘bubble’.

Ellianne Thu 25-Jun-20 11:45:05

Oh dear am I looking at the same picture?. There IS electricity. In the news item the children also visited the mobile toilets, a bit like builders have, and were using them with no problem. Another group was playing in the fresh air so it is to be assumed the timetable gives every child a turn at different activities which keep both their brains and bodies nimble. As well as that all important contact with their peers.

trisher Thu 25-Jun-20 13:03:06

Apologies there is electricity. Still don't fancy a tent in this heat. I've been on camps with children when it wasn't half as hot and they become sweat houses. Even if you lift the sides you often can't get a breeze.

growstuff Thu 25-Jun-20 13:11:59

That looks like an ordinary computer screen to me. The white thing next to it looks like a flip chart. Interactive whiteboards are expensive. If it's a computer screen, it could be used for pre-prepared presentations (Powerpoint, Loom, etc) and online connections.

Ellianne Thu 25-Jun-20 13:21:04

I believe the Head said the remaing-at-home children could also participate online *growstuff".
He was youngish and the great thing was he let a boy and girl do the reporting round the school and then he followed up by asking them their opinions. It didn't look rehearsed.

growstuff Thu 25-Jun-20 13:28:49

I didn't say it was rehearsed.

The computer screen could have been used for Google Classroom, Zoom, Teams or another platform to share with those at home. It could also have been used for pre-prepared presentations with Powerpoint, Loom, genial.ly or something else, which is what I do with my own online pupils. I also sometimes link to online teaching teaching materials via Zoom, as part of a lesson. Many teachers already make use of online materials provided by publishers such as Pearson or Oxford University Press. BBC Bitesize and Oak Academy have been providing recorded lessons. The teacher could be integrating those into her lesson.

growstuff Thu 25-Jun-20 13:30:58

People don't seem to be aware of what has already been going to ensure some continuity of learning.

Ellianne Thu 25-Jun-20 14:13:41

The Headmaster looks like my kind of teacher! I bet the kids came running back!

growstuff Thu 25-Jun-20 14:26:41

It's a matter of taste. I'm afraid I would never have sent my children to a school where the headteacher likes to be seen as a clown.

There are hundreds of school throughout the country where everybody has been doing their best. Only some are obsessed with self-promotion.

Maybe it would be helpful if people stopped being so confrontational and critical and actually accepted that some schools are in a better situation than others. It would have been helpful if the DfE has talked to teachers at the beginning rather than trying to score political points and blaming unions.

For example, most inner city schools have old buildings and very little outdoor space - certainly no playing fields for marquees. One size has never fitted all.

Callistemon Thu 25-Jun-20 14:26:59

trisher

I looked at that but wondered where on earth my GC's school could put a marquee that size. I suppose the blackboard is because there is no electricity. Then I wondered about loos and hand washing. Then I thought why bother? It's lovely weather my GCs are out playing in the fresh air, better than sitting in a boiling hot tent unable to move. Education involves more than putting bums on seats.

I just thought the same. One school my DC attended in London had no green area, just hard playgrounds.

Callistemon Thu 25-Jun-20 14:31:20

It looks like a large interactive screen to me. DD uses one in Australia and at the moment students can interact through their own laptops so social distancing can be observed.

Callistemon Thu 25-Jun-20 14:35:28

He doesn't look like a clown, though.

He's wearing a rainbow suit, a nod to the NHS.
My younger DGC would love it.

I would love it, totally different to the grim old biddies who taught me with their rulers poised ready for hitting.

Ellianne Thu 25-Jun-20 14:36:33

Crikey, loosen up about his attire growstuff. At my GD's school the Headmistress dressed up as Elsa from Frozen to welcome the children back and they had a huge bubble machine. Or would you rather a twinset and pearls?

Ellianne Thu 25-Jun-20 14:37:39

Well done, Callistemon, good observation. you beat me too it.

Callistemon Thu 25-Jun-20 14:42:11

I think if my old primary school headmistress was in charge of a return to school like this she would have been standing there glaring, barking at all the little ones to keep their distance and reducing them to tearful, trembling wrecks.
Then, for good measure, she would have summoned miscreants to her office for a sharp rap over the knuckles with the sharp edge of a ruler.

I know which I'd prefer.

growstuff Thu 25-Jun-20 16:25:50

Nope, standard M & S teacher clothes would be fine. I find it extremely patronising when teachers, and especially headteachers, try to dumb down.

growstuff Thu 25-Jun-20 16:28:49

I still have my M & S teacher wardrobe going back years. I think it needs to go to the charity shop because I haven't worn most of that stuff for years.

PS. Ah! I hadn't realised it was a rainbow suit.

growstuff Thu 25-Jun-20 16:30:48

Callistemon I think it's probably a large interactive screen too. The white thing looks like a flip chart, so that the teacher can write impromtu notes.