Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Good news for those living alone.....but

(229 Posts)
Kate54 Wed 10-Jun-20 18:23:31

Great news from BJ this afternoon for people living alone - they can join another household, stay overnight, no need for social distancing, Unless they’re shielding - maybe some news for those people next week.
Can’t help wondering, though..... I can visit one person in his or her house. But I can’t visit my completely empty holiday home.
BJ did say there were still plenty of ‘anomalies’. Too right.

lemsip Thu 25-Jun-20 17:48:27

me too. re bubble

Spookwriter23 Thu 25-Jun-20 17:41:05

I have no one to bubble with eithet

Nanevon Sun 14-Jun-20 11:37:32

I for one are really pleased to be able to 'bubble' with my daughter and granddaughter. My DH died at the end of January so I have been on my own during lockdown. It is a little light in this dark tunnel. Hugs for all those who live on their own.

Luckygirl Fri 12-Jun-20 15:41:05

There inevitably will be what seem to be anomalies. For instance, a grandmother could not visit her AC and their families, unless she is their cleaner and gets paid.

I do not think there is any point in making these comparisons. The point is that they are trying to gradually ease lockdown, and of course it can seem like nonsense if you take a strict logical view. But it is how it has to be, when it becomes appropriate to ease things - but that itself is quite another question. Personally I think it is too much too soon and would like to see the R number much much lower first.

Sparklefizz Fri 12-Jun-20 12:34:50

One example; a TA travelling to school on a bus from Monday will have to wear and mask and observe social distancing. Fine and sensible. But when she arrives at work off comes the mask and social distancing goes out the window.

How easily could you teach for a few hours while wearing a mask, Furret ?

MawB Fri 12-Jun-20 11:58:42

I never thought of a duster as a “she”.
Somewhat inflammatory?

shysal Fri 12-Jun-20 11:54:28

My duster hasn't moved since before lockdown, Sparkling! blush

Luckygirl Fri 12-Jun-20 10:44:34

Sparkling - I feel sorry for your duster smile

lemongrove Fri 12-Jun-20 09:44:35

Sussexborn

Can’t believe there are still people comparing countries with large land mass and tiny population with the U.K. I doubt there are any two countries which exactly match in useable land mass, population size and average ages and incomes etc etc. Some people are causing themselves more mental anguish by winding themselves up over and over again.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

A builder commented yesterday that he left school at 16 with no qualifications, and he understands what is being said, but many who consider themselves to have superior intelligence and to be well educated struggle with the information given.

Odd how a hate filled mind and being constantly angry depletes the brain power and diminishes reasoning and common sense.

Oh how I agree with you!??

Sparkling Fri 12-Jun-20 07:52:05

All the way through a couple of neighbours have behaved as if nothing was happening. I chose not to and followed the medical science. I will go to see my family for an hour next week, but hope it's fine do we can be outside. I have started my own shopping but put a mask on and am vigilent but normal life has to begin somewhere we cannot live like this continuously we will lose businesses and jobs. My duster has said she will not move outside until there is not one case in the Uk, but I am not prepared to put life on hold that long as it would drive me up the wall, so it's little steps but hoping forward.
? To all those not having someone in their bubble, I'm sure you are missed by your other friends in a similiar position. I won't be seeing those in mine weekly as I never did anyway, but it us nice that I can now and then..

growstuff Fri 12-Jun-20 07:40:25

Sussexborn The reunited Germany is now bigger than the UK and has a higher population, but the population density is roughly similar, as is the distribution between rural and urban areas. The UK could usefully look at how Germany has managed the situation.

Furret Fri 12-Jun-20 07:36:54

It’s not a case of some just thinking about ‘there own situation’ [sic] but the illogicality of some seemingly arbitrary decisions.

One example; a TA travelling to school on a bus from Monday will have to wear and mask and observe social distancing. Fine and sensible. But when she arrives at work off comes the mask and social distancing goes out the window.

Sussexborn Fri 12-Jun-20 03:23:32

Not more people who think there own situation should have been given individual consideration, when plans for the safe keeping of 55 million was being thought through. How egotistical is that?

Sussexborn Fri 12-Jun-20 03:15:35

Can’t believe there are still people comparing countries with large land mass and tiny population with the U.K. I doubt there are any two countries which exactly match in useable land mass, population size and average ages and incomes etc etc. Some people are causing themselves more mental anguish by winding themselves up over and over again.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

A builder commented yesterday that he left school at 16 with no qualifications, and he understands what is being said, but many who consider themselves to have superior intelligence and to be well educated struggle with the information given.

Odd how a hate filled mind and being constantly angry depletes the brain power and diminishes reasoning and common sense.

Maggiemaybe Fri 12-Jun-20 00:21:02

My DD1 gave birth to her first baby during lockdown. Her partner’s mum, who lives alone, is now making plans to visit and to help them out a little, DH and I won’t, of course, be able to. Although I’ll have to wait longer for my first cuddle, I’m happy knowing that the new guidance will help DD and her partner as well as his mum, who I’m sure will have been feeling isolated during lockdown. Our turn will come. And at least we don’t have to choose between our children/grandchildren!

*Chris K*’s comment as to how to decide whether Grandad or Grandma “bubbles” with their family is perfectly reasonable if Grandad and Grandma don’t live together. There’s nothing in her post to say that they do.

Frosty60 Thu 11-Jun-20 22:57:09

Mama Caz, it’s not going down very well with me. We are a couple so considering I looked after my GC on a regular basis and had the younger one for regular overnight stays before lockdown and still can’t mix with them is getting to me. The other. They are sons children, but the grandma is on her own, not sure if she’s self isolated ( because she is almost 74) or if she’s had to shield herself, but if it’s the first she will get to see them. I’ve also got a friend whose elder son lives with her, no children, but younger son has a little boy. She went on to me about her neighbours having other family members not living in the same house visiting and going in and out of house, not keeping distance etc before they eased the lockdown to meeting in family/friends gardens. So what happens then she goes to see her son and 1year old GS, goes in the house and sits him on her knee. I visit my son just to see gd’s through the window. I’m so irritated with people who can’t follow the guidelines and says you’ve got to do what you feel is best for your family and she couldn’t wait any longer and she goes twice a week and has tea there too. I say they are just selfish. Rant over now. Just can’t wait for BJ to ease it so we’ll be able to see GC

Luckygirl Thu 11-Jun-20 22:10:25

OK - got the message now GrauntyHelen! smile

GrauntyHelen Thu 11-Jun-20 21:30:27

ok I haven't read the whole thread but as many seem confused here is the new rule ENGLAND ONLY A single adult household ie one adult living alone or a single parent living with children can join another household and live with that household as if a member of that household which means you need not social distance you can go into the house eat with household and stay overnight overnight if you wish So if you live alone and your partner lives alone woohoo . If you live alone and want to form a bubble with DAC and DGC you can You can only form a social bubble with one other household though so you need to chose which child /grandchildren you want to join NO ONE in the other household can be in a social bubble with anyone else though so young adult grandchildren may have the decision to make whether Granny can come in to the bubble or their partner I forsee family fallouts but it should ease loneliness for some

GrauntyHelen Thu 11-Jun-20 21:30:26

ok I haven't read the whole thread but as many seem confused here is the new rule ENGLAND ONLY A single adult household ie one adult living alone or a single parent living with children can join another household and live with that household as if a member of that household which means you need not social distance you can go into the house eat with household and stay overnight overnight if you wish So if you live alone and your partner lives alone woohoo . If you live alone and want to form a bubble with DAC and DGC you can You can only form a social bubble with one other household though so you need to chose which child /grandchildren you want to join NO ONE in the other household can be in a social bubble with anyone else though so young adult grandchildren may have the decision to make whether Granny can come in to the bubble or their partner I forsee family fallouts but it should ease loneliness for some

westwoodirene1215 Thu 11-Jun-20 21:28:17

They have to be one permanent bubble

Jacinda Thu 11-Jun-20 20:05:58

Im sorry, I think I'm on the wrong thread!
What did I say about bumbling?!

Jacinda Thu 11-Jun-20 20:04:20

I dont know whether Thatcher was a worse PM, I think she did untold damage to our country which is still evident today.
You want a statesman/woman, who commands respect, both from the citizens of the country and the rest of the world.
Boris Johnson does neither. He is a bumbling, bluffing, amoral, self interested idiot, who we should be ashamed to have as our leader.
Compare the likes of him and Trump to the NZ PM Jacinda Ardhern.. now there is a leader with dignity.