Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

How many people do you know........

(243 Posts)
Daddima Sat 20-Jun-20 16:37:47

...who actually have, or had, Covid19? Not just people who say they’re ‘ sure they had it’, but definite cases. I only know of two, one who contracted it in hospital following admission for a broken hip, and another who died in a care home.

Please try not to drift ‘ off topic’, as I’m really interested to hear your answers to the question.

debgaga Tue 23-Jun-20 19:51:57

I don’t know anyone or anyone who
knows anyone. I live in a city and have a lot of friends and neighbours, so am clearly very fortunate

bikergran Tue 23-Jun-20 20:10:27

None, and I work in a well know supermarket on the checkout.

vegansrock Tue 23-Jun-20 20:39:14

Me, my OH, 2 neighbours all recovered after many weeks. 2 ex colleagues died. My brothers wife’s nephew also died in hospital.

Nanniejude Tue 23-Jun-20 23:31:33

I know about 30, all work for the NHS! Luckily I tested positive for antibodies but had no symptoms (asymptotic)!
I also know of a few elderly people who died from it sadly.

Chocgran Fri 26-Jun-20 20:55:51

My brother who lives in London had it fairly mildly in the early days and his wife had no symptoms. I heard an ex colleague’s elderly mother died from it. My son is a nurse in the South West but doesn’t know anyone, including colleagues, who have had it.

Bubby Sun 28-Jun-20 15:59:33

I know at least 10 people who have had it. A handful of young people (30s) and an entire family (close friends of ours). The young people have generally been fine, although one of them hasn’t been able to shake the virus and continues to be sick with flu symptoms 90 days later. The family unfortunately had one death and 2 others on ventilators. They all continues to gather when things spread here and ignored social distancing rules. But I’m writing in from the States (New Jersey).

patcaf Sun 28-Jun-20 18:19:05

I only know one person and he contracted it at Cheltenham. Was very ill but fine now. Do not know anyone else and none of my friends or family know anyone who tested positive.

smayed Mon 29-Jun-20 22:55:36

My friend's son had it he's a police man, he was in hospital on oxygen for 4 days.

MayBee70 Mon 29-Jun-20 23:22:01

My daughter has just had a positive antibody test. She was very poorly with a virus in January; fever, cough, wheeziness but it's only in retrospect that she thinks it must have been covid. She is, however, going to carry on [as advised] as before ie being uber careful.

Franbern Tue 30-Jun-20 09:25:47

. My nephew in law in his 60's, died in hospital. his wife my niece also had it, but recovered within a week at home, though it was flu at the time. The husband of a long-time friend, caught it when being treated in hospital (before lockdown) for a heart condition. Came home and was so ill, that he was returned to hospital and died a few days later. My friend, who has multiple serious health conditions, including MS and heart problems, etc. did not catch it though.

Colleagues of my daughter who works in London in Mental Health, had it, and all recovered well at their homes and returned to work.

Hetty58 Tue 30-Jun-20 09:32:41

Five friends and relatives, two died (I'm in London).

Daisymae Tue 30-Jun-20 09:36:27

One aged 70, very fit and active who died.

merlotgran Thu 09-Jul-20 11:30:58

This morning we have had a worrying phone call from DH's brother. His wife was admitted to hospital on Monday with inflammation of the colon. She has suffered from IBS for years.

Yesterday her condition worsened and she has tested positive for Covid.

They were so very supportive during our own terrible time last year and we both feel helpless because there's nothing we can do other than keep in touch and hope for the best. sad

Elderflower2 Thu 09-Jul-20 11:33:53

My GP died from it. Quite a shock really as he was a very robust man.

MawB Thu 09-Jul-20 11:35:03

I am wondering why you ask Daddima ?
It must be a highly sensitive area for many people confused

PernillaVanilla Thu 09-Jul-20 11:37:05

One, the husband of a friend, aged 70. He was briefly admitted to hospital for treatment but returned home quickly. He was very ill for a couple of weeks but has made a good recovery. He is usually in excellent health and still works. He got it very early on and is as certain as he could be that a shop assistant in a supermarket who was coughing his head off was responsible.

Phoebe221 Sat 11-Jul-20 13:02:47

Daddima

...who actually have, or had, Covid19? Not just people who say they’re ‘ sure they had it’, but definite cases. I only know of two, one who contracted it in hospital following admission for a broken hip, and another who died in a care home.

Please try not to drift ‘ off topic’, as I’m really interested to hear your answers to the question.

None.