Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Which reusable mask would you recommend ?

(63 Posts)
MayBee70 Mon 29-Jun-20 12:18:08

I’ve bout a reusable mask on the internet but it only just reaches my chin, doesn’t go under it so I’m not very confident about wearing it in public places. I’ll probably just take it with me when out walking. I do have medical grade single use ones that I shall use in enclosed spaces (if and when I venture forth into one: I’m so concerned about the amount of plastic being used in the fight against the virus I don’t want to contribute to it if I can help it). I don’t really want flowery masks, would rather have something with a bit of attitude as I’m assuming (wrongly I hope) that I’ll be sniggered at for wearing one.

JOJO60 Fri 03-Jul-20 13:19:36

I made some pleated cotton masks from a pattern I found online which cover the nose and chin. They were easy to make and fit well. I wear them every time I have to go somewhere where other people are around, as well as social distancing, although I only go out when absolutely necessary. I feel safer as I often see people without masks coughing without covering their faces and they may be asymptomatic. At least I won't be breathing in their germs. I keep my outings as short as possible and wash the mask as soon as I get home. I know you cant eliminate risk altogether, only minimise it, but I think masks along with social distancing and hand washing is the way to go. I've found quite a few older people are wearing masks, and its the younger ones who seem to think it doesn't matter. I dont worry about looking silly, afterall, nobody knows who I am! And it's my health and life that's important, not what other people think.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Jul-20 07:21:13

I like Sturgeons mask.

A fetching tartan!

Juicylucy Fri 03-Jul-20 01:37:04

Groupon have large selection of different types of masks at very good prices.

AllotmentLil Thu 02-Jul-20 23:14:50

Mandatory in shops in Scotland from 10 July.

Happysexagenarian Thu 02-Jul-20 21:41:09

I've made hundreds of masks this year for a local support group using this pattern:

www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

It's an easy pattern to make and comes in lots of sizes for aĺl ages. When you make your own masks you can adjust the depth and fit to suit your face.
I used 2 layers of soft quilting cotton (don't use polycotton or jersey) with an inner layer of Vilene interfacing as an extra filter layer. Soft, comfortable surgical elastic is available on Ebay, also washable adhesive nose clips.

I think we're all going to have to get used to regular mask wearing.

Aepgirl Thu 02-Jul-20 19:25:28

I have various styles of masks - none of them are truly comfortable, all make my specs. steam up as soon as I breathe, all hurt my ears. However, I wear one every time I go shopping - not ventured onto a bus or train yet, nor been in a shop other than for food.

Tergly Thu 02-Jul-20 18:59:18

No matter what type of mask there are always those who wear them below their noses!

BeenBizzy Thu 02-Jul-20 17:15:56

I am going for a nano silver mask. Copper and silver treated in a certain way kill covid 19 along with other virus.
A little more expensive but not much. With the right chemicals you could make your own...... Am too old for all that now.
But I need something that will keep me a little safer.
Although am not allowed out till end of July.

MayBee70 Thu 02-Jul-20 17:12:06

Thanks shysal. I see that Boots now sell reusable masks and replaceable filters. When we bought our single use ones I don’t think they had them. I haven’t been near or in a shop for months but am beginning to feel more confident about venturing forth at some point.

shysal Thu 02-Jul-20 16:53:32

WARNING to those considering using vacuum cleaner HEPA bags for filters. Apparently they contain fibreglass fibres which are harmful when inhaled. I discovered this after buying some!

Davida1968 Thu 02-Jul-20 16:39:00

I'm finding these very useful & DH uses one as well:
www.seasaltcornwall.co.uk/accessories
Seasalt are about to branch out into selling "face coverings" too:
www.seasaltcornwall.co.uk/accessories/face-coverings
(Please note that I have no connection with the company!)

carolmary Thu 02-Jul-20 15:52:22

Nose piece:
Get some flexible green soft plastic covered garden tie. Sold on cards in most hardware shops and is easily cut to size. I made some masks from a pattern I got on line and that's what was recommended. Works well. Also those metal strip closures that you get on some coffee beans or ground cofee also work

MayBee70 Thu 02-Jul-20 15:31:27

Thanks garnet; another good tip.

Kim19 Thu 02-Jul-20 15:21:16

Thank you, Garnet. I'll do that.

garnet25 Thu 02-Jul-20 15:07:55

For those of you who have masks that allow you to add a filter,
I recommend using cut up Henry Hoover bags as they are HEPA (high-efficiency particulate absorbing) filters.

Joplin Thu 02-Jul-20 15:04:18

WWF do very pretty ones, 100% Cotton Organic, for both children & adults & they are washable. Basically white, with little panda's heads & a black strap. I'll look up the price & link but they were very reasonable & I think cheaper if you bought 3 or 4.

MiniMoon Thu 02-Jul-20 14:40:02

I've crocheted a mask and lined it with a double layer of cotton fabric. I left it open at the top so that I can insert a filter if and when it's needed.

I have a hairdressers appointment on Tuesday and I have to wear a mask in the salon, so I'm good to go.

Kim19 Thu 02-Jul-20 14:10:22

Saw this on TV. Gents handkerchief, fold into three. One elastic band quarterish in from either end as earholds. Tuck one end of the 'tube' into the other end. Adjust the amount tucked until fit is comfortable for you. I use various bits of wipes as filter. Also, bands that fitted me are courtesy of Post Office found on many pavements. Straight into the wash after use. Sorted.

Rosiestocks Thu 02-Jul-20 14:05:25

fairyfeet Thanks for the help smile

Stella14 Thu 02-Jul-20 13:10:04

From my research and purchasing of a couple of types. I recommend these from Paisie (a clothing company). They are made from offcuts of their clothing lines and sold at cost price to help with the situation (I don’t know any other company that does this). I like them because they are made from two layers if cool cotton, with a pocket to put a filter (That catches very fine droplets) into. IMO, this makes them much safer than cloth only. The filters are widely available (see Amazon). They are also light and cool to wear and have adjustable ear loops.
www.paisie.com/collections/face-masks

Paperbackwriter Thu 02-Jul-20 13:07:03

If you want something with a bit of attitude, MayBee70, get one of these! I've got one but haven't quite had the nerve to wear it yet! www.etsy.com/uk/listing/789015080/rolling-stones-inspired-fashion-face?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=rolling+stones+face&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&bes=1

Fairyfeet Thu 02-Jul-20 12:59:03

Rosiestocks

Teacheranne What do you use as a nose clip please? Thanks

I have a pattern, which I haven’t made up yet, and they suggest using pipe cleaners inserted into a channel to enable the mask to fit snuggly around the bridge if the nose. I have to have something close fitting as I wear glasses. Hope this helps.

Vintagegirl Thu 02-Jul-20 12:48:48

Way back when no masks available, I made a load of them and gleaned a lot of good info from Youtube demos. Cotton is best fabric and at least two layers with a pocket for inserting an extra layer of some non woven material as additional filter. With three layers, you are nearly up to the level of protection of medical masks. Water based baby wipes make a simple filter. I also put a metal nose piece to stop virus particle dropping down onto face. It also helps condensation rising to glasses.

nipsmum Thu 02-Jul-20 12:35:56

I made about 15 masks on my small basic sewing machine. Double thickness close weave cotton with elastic ear loops. They cost next to nothing to do and are as effective as expensive bought ones.

Rosiestocks Thu 02-Jul-20 12:31:06

Teacheranne What do you use as a nose clip please? Thanks