Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Car travel

(11 Posts)
MerylStreep Thu 09-Jul-20 14:27:18

I have taken 2 elderly neighbours to the bank a couple of times as neither do internet banking. Neither wanted to go by bus. One wore a mask.

suziewoozie Thu 09-Jul-20 14:19:33

Imo the classic ‘rule’ in many cases is not what the rules actually say but how people fee about it. If they are worried and it would spoil the experience, don’t do it.

kittylester Thu 09-Jul-20 14:02:55

Maybe I should point out that he is almost 49 - I was a child bride!

EllanVannin Thu 09-Jul-20 12:14:30

My D has travelled every Saturday with children on board to see their sibling in a " home " in the Lake District. No masks etc. even when the other children attend their schools here and up to now everything's alright.
Disabled or not, these children are still part of the family.

Also there's been lots of hugging and the usual contact.

Grammaretto Thu 09-Jul-20 12:02:40

If you have both been keeping safely in your own bubbles, I can't think there would be a danger in collecting him and bringing him to yours.
But if you or he are still uneasy, it does seem better to wait.

DH is shielding and in Scotland last weekend was the first one when travel further than 5 miles was allowed.
DD and her family came to see us. It's about 70 miles. They even came indoors and used the spare loo.

It was wonderful. They hadn't seen anyone closer than 2 metres since February and neither had we. I felt quite flat after they had gone.

Calendargirl Thu 09-Jul-20 11:44:24

I’m sure I read that car shares are allowed, windows open and sitting as far apart as possible, but difficult if four of you.

Public transport not encouraged, but where I live the buses seem very empty, probably safer to go to work that way than in a car full.

MawB Thu 09-Jul-20 11:39:55

He can sit in the back, preferably with the window open and wearing a mask. If there is no front seat passenger, he should sit behind the driver and in any case nobody in the front should turn round to speak to him if possible.

kittylester Thu 09-Jul-20 11:26:35

He has a bubble with his PA who is severely asthmatic!

His flat is very small and the outside space would be wet! ?

We are leaving it until we can meet and have a picnic or until he feels safer.

DH is a volunteer driver for RVS and they are starting to get up and running again - well, not till Leicester is safe round here!

tanith Thu 09-Jul-20 11:20:01

I don’t think it would be against the rules but if your son feels it’s too soon perhaps leave it. Could you not go to him and wear masks as well as keeping your distance? You are allowed to have a bubble with another family now.

Elderflower2 Thu 09-Jul-20 11:13:21

Well it doesn't appear to have affected the cab industry. Probably masks and gloves.

kittylester Thu 09-Jul-20 11:11:13

Anyone know the rules for giving people a lift at the moment?

We have been trying to meet up with DS1 for a picnic but it keeps raining.

He is disabled but not particularly vulnerable (though he does get the flu jab)

We suggested collecting him and bringing him here for lunch but he is sure that is against the rules. I suspect he is also scared for us and for him.

Does anyone know the actual guidelines?