Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Hairdresser disaster

(110 Posts)
Daisymae Fri 10-Jul-20 21:39:24

Had an appointment for the first time since lockdown with my usual hairdresser. Told they had Covid training and things would be different. However I walked in, on time to find the place full and was asked to wait. The 2 staff, one is the owner, were wearing visors, none of the 3 customers. It's a small place. I sat for a couple of minutes, decided it was unsafe and left, furious. The owner phoned later with explanations and the offer of another appointment when it is less busy, I told the owner that the environment felt unsafe. I have lost confidence in them. No one else I know who has had an appointment at other salons has had this experience. I am reluctant to give them a second chance with so much at stake at the moment.

Tweedle24 Tue 21-Jul-20 13:35:32

OhMother My understanding is that small businesses, hairdressers included, could claim £10,000 via their local council but, that was just to keep them going over the lockdown. That £10,000 covered 3+ months with no income but, rents rates etc still had to be paid out of that as well as the PPE, extra cleaning equipment and antiviral solutions. I don’t think asking a little extra for a hairdo is unreasonable, particularly as they can now serve far fewer clients than usual and, after all, we have saved the cost of hairdos during lockdown ourselves.

faye17 Mon 20-Jul-20 10:36:23

I'm with you DaisyMae
My hair salon hasn't re-opened since March & the owner ( my hairdresser) is now a mobile service. She messaged me with an offer to do my hair at home back in April which was completely against all safety regulations at the time. I politely refused. Once new regulations came in she again messaged me offering to call to my home & do my hair. By this stage I was tempted as my hair has not been coloured or cut since January & I am a sight. However she went on to say that she would wear a mask IF I WANTED HER TO - so needless to say I havent been in Lock down for months just to allow someone who obviously is going from house to house without proper pps to sort out my hair.
I don't know how/ when I'll be able to safely get it done so I think I'll just concentrate on losing the 20 lbs weight I've gained - stick the hair in a baseball cap & get back walking.... milesgrin

Ohmother Sun 19-Jul-20 10:51:30

Medium cut to shortish. T section Highlights 2 colours and wash n cut. I’ll blow dry it myself £50. I wore a mask and they complied to regulations. Feel great!

Daisymae Sun 19-Jul-20 08:24:25

I have an appointment this week with a mobile hairdresser who is taking everything seriously. I am going to have my hair cut in the garden and will blow dry myself. Seems more inline with current situation.

Furret Sun 19-Jul-20 06:45:21

Now that sounds more like it Twice. I paid £41 for a wet cut. I think it’s time for a new hairdresser.

TwiceAsNice Sat 18-Jul-20 23:26:43

I did pay £8 more than before but understand this and it was worth every penny!

TwiceAsNice Sat 18-Jul-20 23:24:15

Had my first appointment on Friday. I had my temperature checked before I even got inside. There was a small table in the entrance with hand sanitiser and a box of disposable masks. I had taken my own but hairdresser said the hair dye might get on it so I used a disposable one which was fine.

He wore a visor and disposable apron and my covering was disposable , not the usual cloth. There was only ever one other person there at the same time as me on the opposite side of the salon with out backs to each other. When she left I watched the other stylist wash her chair and everything else around where she sat , with disinfectant spray.

I was really impressed and was so pleased to have my hair back to normal

Furret Sat 18-Jul-20 21:02:00

Not impressed by my hairdresser at all. Not offered any hand sanitiser had to ask. She was wearing a plastic visor as was the other hairdresser. One other customer but not wearing a mask. I wore mine.

I washed my hair beforehand, she cut it and then I left with it wet.

welbeck Sat 18-Jul-20 18:40:31

i would not want to go anywhere that clients were not wearing masks. or using sanitiser on entry.
they obviously have extra costs, the fact that they can see fewer clients for a start.
some people pay very little for a dry cut, under £10, presumably women, who are always charged more for the same thing.
by the way re grey hair; fashion students, young women, near here dye their hair grey/ silver. it is the latest thing apparently. and that intense silver shampoo in deep violet bottles looks intriguing. i have some, never used yet. just like the look of it. pound shop for tiny one.
provoke, touch of silver, for blonde, platinum or white hair, brightening shampoo. thanks for sharing experiences.

Tweedle24 Sat 18-Jul-20 16:25:54

Plenty of sanitiser around too

Tweedle24 Sat 18-Jul-20 16:25:02

Hair cut and blow dried this morning. - only one client in salon at a time so blow drying allowed. Hairdresser wore gown, plastic apron, visor and gloves. I wore gown and plastic cape. She did ask all clients to wear a mask.

I got there early as not sure about traffic, I saw hairdresser with wipes , sprays etc. This has to be done every time between clients. She says she is more tired than normal with fewer clients,

Some clients do not play the game, though. She says she cannot count how many times she has had to tell customers that “Just squeeze me in between customers” does not work any more.

Cabbie21 Sat 18-Jul-20 11:26:51

I was so indecisive about my hair, desperate to have it cut( I used to have it pretty short) and not liking to see so much grey but not wanting to waste the opportunity of it having grown and gone greyer, if you see what I mean.
I was given a provisional appointment about five weeks ago for Week 2 after they reopened, so it was last week. I was not given any instructions and there was nothing on their website or Facebook page.
I waited outside until the exact time. The receptionist immediately put her visor on. I asked about masks and was told it was up to me, so I didn’t as it seemed very impractical.
My coat was hung up. I was not asked about my health.

My hairdresser was wearing a visor but no mask. Gov.uk says masks are not compulsory, but visors are. I was given a disposable gown and towel. I was not asked to use sanitiser and did not see any around until the end when I went to pay, which I used of course.
It was well spaced out and not busy but obviously there was close contact.
I Was in there a long time as I had some foils put in, rather than a whole head of colour. I went for a lighter colour so it will gradually all blend in. I was pleased with the result.
However it was the most risky thing I have done, sitting for so long indoors with strangers. No noticeable sanitising of chairs or stations whilst I was there, which surprised me.

I guess now I am rather holding my breath in case I get ill, but as there are very few cases in our county I am hoping not. Really I think I should not have gone, or else just had a quick trim and get out. If DH gets the virus it will kill him, so we have been so careful. I am now regretting going, trying not to think too hard about it.
I

maydonoz Sat 18-Jul-20 10:45:30

Suzywhoo hi again, thought I'd give you an update re the colour shampoo. When I had the house to myself this morning, I decided to try the new shampoo, I just did one wash with it, left it for about a minute and rinsed well. I'm quite pleased with the result, my hair looks and feels better so will use it from time to time.
Thanks for your tips and advice and have a pleasant day.

Keffie12 Thu 16-Jul-20 22:41:38

I went 4 days after opening. Appointment sent me and I took it as I was due in lockdown week.

From what you have said I wouldn't go back there either. They were given strict instructions for opening up.

I was met just inside the door. My temperature was taken by a contactless type. My hairdresser, as all in salon, wore a visor and face mask. I had to wear a facemask too. Disposable towels snd gowns were also used

Payment by card only and preferably contactless or pay through your PayPal whilst in salon.

Left very happy

Sussexborn Thu 16-Jul-20 22:33:48

It may be that they don’t want to apply; presumably that’s what they would have to do ? Some people avoid red tape though presumably they have an accountant or book-keeper? Would they have received furlough money so perhaps not too desperate for income?

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Thu 16-Jul-20 21:10:34

Finally got my hair cut today. Masked staff, masked and sanitised (hands) customers, questions for track and trace all very well organised. Came out feeling fab my long straggly hair now short and styled again love my hairdresser ?

Ohmother Thu 16-Jul-20 10:14:33

GrannyGravy13

Sorry I meant to add the prices have risen to cover PPE and extras but when the pandemic is over they will be reduced.

But as I said earlier; weren’t small businesses given a grant to cover PPE? Why are they charging the customer???

GrannyGravy13 Tue 14-Jul-20 13:00:31

Sorry I meant to add the prices have risen to cover PPE and extras but when the pandemic is over they will be reduced.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 14-Jul-20 12:59:16

I have just returned from the hairdressers.

I had to wear a mask (I took my own) the salon were providing them, hand sanitiser at the entrance, fill in a form with contact details, time, stylists name and confirm you felt well.

Only one stylist working in salon
(they are using a seven day 6 hours per every other day shift pattern)

Two client at any one time.

I felt safe but did miss the tea and gossip magazines (only time I read them).

Had a full head of woven low lights, wash and cut I feel nearly normal and GrandpaGravy13 noticed which is extremely unusual.

maydonoz Tue 14-Jul-20 11:49:08

Suzywhoo Good morning and thank you for your prompt reply.
I've been to the shops this morning and found the "purple stuff", so I've got it at the ready when I feel like trying it.
Again thanks so much, will let you know when I use it! and how it works.

suzywhoo Mon 13-Jul-20 21:46:44

Hi Maydonoz it's Provoke touch of silver, there are other brands on the market, it just takes off the blandness I have used a semi permanent on occasions but with the lock down and such haven't bothered so ordered this with my groceries. Hope it works out for you.
I've cropped my own locks during lockdown, I filmed it for the family to watch on Suzetube when I went over with the clippers they were convinced I was going to do a grade 7 (they know I'm more than capable of saying blow it it's coming off) well I had to have a quick tidy up sticky out bits! I admit I have all lengths on the top! I hated the curls when I was younger but now I love them, they have calmed down a lot, it makes my home haircuts very forgiving!

maydonoz Mon 13-Jul-20 20:35:57

Hi Suzywhoo thank you so much for coming back to me on that, it's very helpful. I may try it out one of these days.
We have our DS2's wedding next summer hopefully, Covid permitting so I thought it might be nice to try something like this, am just so bored of the regular colour at the hairdresser's.
Sorry, one final question, what's the name of the product, is it just "colouring shampoo".
Many thanks

suzywhoo Mon 13-Jul-20 19:02:17

Maydonoz I'll try - I think it tones down the 'yellowing' and just gives my grey a lift and looking more vibrant. It is a bit of a fine art on how long to leave it on I started with just about a minute on the 2nd wash now I find about 2mins the right amount. I wash my hair twice a week so once with my normal shampoo and once with the purple stuff. My hair is salt and pepper with more salt! But it is strong thick hair. My mum is pure white and uses it but left it on too long (about 5mins) and got a slightly lilac tinge but it soon disappeared. I always finish with a lovely thick conditioner (garnier ultimate hair mask argan) and not rinsing out too thoroughly and my hair feels silky soft, I just finish off with a pea size of living proof nourishing cream and leave to dry. Hope I'm allowed to say all these product names. hmm My hair honestly feels the best it's felt ever and no frizz.

Thecatshatontgemat Mon 13-Jul-20 12:23:37

Dear God. What a palaver. Why, oh why??
I could not be bothered with all that nonsense.
CHEAPER and SAFER to wash own hair, and tie back in pony tail.
Sorted!

newnanny Mon 13-Jul-20 00:54:54

My hair is quite long down.my back. In March when we had hot week I decided to cut 5 inches off of it. Now it has grown at least 2 inches if not more. I was really hoping to go to get colour, cut and style but a friend told me she could only have dry cut and no colour. I have decided to wait until it can be done properly. No coffee and no loo facilities either.