Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Hairdresser disaster

(109 Posts)
Daisymae Fri 10-Jul-20 21:39:24

Had an appointment for the first time since lockdown with my usual hairdresser. Told they had Covid training and things would be different. However I walked in, on time to find the place full and was asked to wait. The 2 staff, one is the owner, were wearing visors, none of the 3 customers. It's a small place. I sat for a couple of minutes, decided it was unsafe and left, furious. The owner phoned later with explanations and the offer of another appointment when it is less busy, I told the owner that the environment felt unsafe. I have lost confidence in them. No one else I know who has had an appointment at other salons has had this experience. I am reluctant to give them a second chance with so much at stake at the moment.

MawB Fri 10-Jul-20 21:47:56

I went to my hairdresser this morning too and I was the only client. She checked my temperature at the door, I had to hang up my jacket myself and my “gown” was a disposable plastic cape. She wore a visor but I had assumed customers would be expected to bring their own masks so wore my own .
Glad I wasn’t having a lengthy procedure though - no loo facilities!
I paid an extra £5 presumably to cover their PPE , which was a bit steep I thought but who’s arguing these days.
Not the relaxing pampering experience I had hoped it might be but it will do.

BlueSky Fri 10-Jul-20 22:03:06

Again I'm slightly off topic but I had my first dental appointment since the beginning of lockdown. I had lost a large filling but as it didn't hurt, it wasn't deemed urgent. I was collected from the car park by staff in full PPE, my temperature taken and hand sanitizer provided, no reception or loos, straight into the treatment room. Only able to do a temporary filling as drills not allowed at the moment but I was well pleased!

Greyduster Fri 10-Jul-20 22:23:04

I, too, had my hair cut today. I have known my hairdresser, who I also count as a friend, for over thirty years and it’s the first time she has looked like Darth Vader in all her protective gear! (“Greyduster! I am your hairdresser!”). Mask, visor, black coverall..... I had to wear a mask and use hand sanitiser though I had done so when I left my car. It’s a very small salon and I was not allowed through the door before everything had been wiped down and cleaned after the last customer had left. One in, one out strictly by appointment. She then had to log every customer for track and trace. Gosh, I felt like a million dollars after I came out of there! She told me that, after her first day of business after reopening, she went home, cried for an hour and then fell asleep on the sofa! And in the week since, she has never been so exhausted. She has had to put her prices up, but it’s not surprising.

welbeck Fri 10-Jul-20 22:24:52

no OP don't go back there.
i saw some places like this, too many people in a small space.
if you are mobile, try walk past a few and look at what they are doing and how.
my hairdresser is only doing dry cuts, no washing.
he is using the chair nearest the door, with the door open throughout.
there is a list of instructions in the window. wash hair before coming. wear mask. no waiting allowed. appts only with phone number for tracing. normally it is only walk-ins.
big vat of sanitizer on counter, and careful cleaning after each client. hairdresser and client wearing masks.

Luckygirl Fri 10-Jul-20 22:33:46

I think I will let mine just keep on growing. It was long anyway, but now it is very long. I have no wish to go to a hairdresser.

annodomini Fri 10-Jul-20 23:11:15

I haven't bothered to make an appointment yet. A year ago, I had a disappointing cut and decided to grow out the layers. It's had two light trims but nothing for four months. It now feels thicker and is quite a lot longer than ever. It is also curlier than it has been since I was little! I'm looking a bit like one of my grannies, but for the time being I'm holding on to my curls.

Lollin Fri 10-Jul-20 23:26:40

Daisymae I have not tried making an appointment yet as I am in no hurry to rush in before they see how it works and like you I was shocked to see how busy my usual hairdressers was! I only noticed they were open because I came across lots of chatter and looked up realising where I was trying to give a wide berth was my very busy hairdressers . I did not apot any masks/screens.

geekesse Sat 11-Jul-20 00:04:44

My hairdresser had sanitiser at the door, and masks were compulsory - they sold them for £1 if you didn’t have one (I did). Only 4 customers were allowed inside at any time, chairs spaced 2 metres apart, disposable capes and all staff wore plastic masks. It’s not an expensive, up-market salon, just an ordinary kind of place. £16 for a haircut.

Teacheranne Sat 11-Jul-20 00:40:17

Ive got an appointment next week and have just seen a post of FB with all the instructions - much the same as others have said. There was also a video showing the salon with huge spaces between the chairs and sinks and they also have movable Perspex screens which can be positioned around chairs as necessary. I hope that all the precautions mentioned are carried out when I go or else I too would leave. What is the point of isolating myself just to risk exposure for a haircut? I do need a trim desperately but I will assess the risk for myself.

MiniMoon Sat 11-Jul-20 02:01:48

Had my hair cut on Tuesday.
I had to have washed my hair, I had to wear a mask, no jewellery.
My hairdresser wore a visor and had on a black gown with plastic apron over.
I was the only one in the salon and say on the first chair. I didn't see any hand sanitizer, but that was maybe because I didn't look for any?.
She charged me £1 extra to cover the cost of the PPE which I didn't mind at all.
I was just glad to be back to short hair!

BlueBelle Sat 11-Jul-20 04:52:15

Having my hair cut on Sunday can’t wait I know she will wear a visor etc I asked if I needed a mask and she said that hadn’t been on the list of requirements so I won’t as I can’t see how she can cut round my ears with a mask on She will wash my hair and she quoted the same price I ll tell you all about it when it’s done I can’t wait

Furret Sat 11-Jul-20 06:36:05

I’m booked for a pedicure next week. Will take my own mask and sanitiser just in case. My hairdresser is almost next door to the beauty salon so will suss it out as I pass.

Like the OP I will only visit places that seem to have understood the guidelines.

Lucca Sat 11-Jul-20 07:57:10

I really wish I could have lip and chin wax.......I’m tweezering away but struggling !

Newquay Sat 11-Jul-20 08:10:39

We have a home hairdresser. She says she has PPE. We know her well. We’ll ask her to come down side of house instead of through inside and, weather permitting, DH and I will sit outside for a cut only-we’ll wash it ourselves first. I’ve done my own colour. We’ll see how we all feel about blow drying. Not worth the risk IMHO just for a haircut!

downtoearth Sat 11-Jul-20 08:36:01

Had my cut on wednesday.
Notice to say wait at door till admitted by staff.
Hand gel on arrival, then straight to chair surrounded by perspex screen.
Plastic gown given.
Hairdresser had perspex mask and a bowl of antiseptic on side for scissors etc after.

I always have dry cut every 3 weeks, was told dry cut would be fine, but took it on myself to shower and wash hair immediate to leaving ..9am..appointment...I figured would be easier to cut, and not so much hair to fly around.
I left straight after, my cut normally£6, cost £7 I expected more of an increase, appointment for 4 weeks
I am a short silver pixie grin
I have used this salon for over 12 years and happy to continue, and always get compliments on my hair.

yggdrasil Sat 11-Jul-20 08:44:31

BlueBelle

Having my hair cut on Sunday can’t wait I know she will wear a visor etc I asked if I needed a mask and she said that hadn’t been on the list of requirements so I won’t as I can’t see how she can cut round my ears with a mask on She will wash my hair and she quoted the same price I ll tell you all about it when it’s done I can’t wait

I had mine cut two days ago by my hairdresser who comes to my house. She wanted me to wear a mask and provide a sheet of my own to wrap round.
She had no trouble with cutting round the ears, I undid one side of the mask and held it in place, then put it back and did the other one. I don't have a wash, she just damps all my hair from a spray bottle.
It feels much better now. I had got used to the length, and the wavy bits didn't look bad, but prefer it this way

Blinko Sat 11-Jul-20 08:49:02

My usual salon is walk in, so I wasn't sure what they would be doing. So thanks, welbeck, maybe mine's doing the same. Anyway, I'll take a stroll down there and check it out. It's good to see what everyone's experience has been.

Daisymae Sat 11-Jul-20 10:16:59

It's interesting to see the experience of others. I was disappointed and cross, not what I was expecting at all and now I have lost confidence. You would have thought that it was a normal day. Even more ludicrous as our family visits involve sitting in the garden, distanced and freezing. Why would I spend time in an enclosed area with 5 people I don't know? Thinking of alternative, safer options.

Harris27 Sat 11-Jul-20 11:28:37

Just had my haircut at home for the first time. She wore a visor and I a mask wasn’t looking forward to wearing one but felt it needed to be done. All good hair looks great and I feel loads better she used my hairbrush and disposable aprons and was really good sanitising her hands and I really felt comfortable. And on top of the world back to me!

Harris27 Sat 11-Jul-20 11:29:53

Must add price hadn’t gone up.

grannysyb Sat 11-Jul-20 11:35:48

Had mine done last Saturday. My temperature taken when I arrived, given a mask which went round my ears, and had to use their sanitizer. I felt really safe and they have my phone number in case of any problems.

Hetty58 Sat 11-Jul-20 11:40:00

Daisymae, good for you that you walked. My local salon is strictly mask-wearers only, by appointment, half empty and socially distanced. After all, it's only hair - certainly not worth risking lives for!

FarNorth Sat 11-Jul-20 12:04:51

Daisymae you did the right thing.
That sounds shocking.

I usually have very short hair but I have no desire to take a chance in a hairdresser's so it's growing now.

Janeea Sun 12-Jul-20 10:29:18

Government guidelines are that only the staff are required to wear masks and visors so you can’t really blame the hairdresser