Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Social distancing in England

(122 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Sun 12-Jul-20 22:16:47

Just back from a visit to England to see kids/grandkids. I was amazed at the lack of social distancing there. It was totally non existent. I must say it gives you a false sense of security and we found ourselves almost forgetting that we're still in the grip of a global pandemic. This was in Surrey, I don't know if other parts of England are the same obviously. Just hope we haven't been too relaxed after 16 weeks of sticking to the rules!

Gingergirl Mon 13-Jul-20 09:53:12

Some people won’t or can’t social distance in the easiest of places. And wearing masks should be no substitute.

claresc0tt Mon 13-Jul-20 10:03:43

When I went into my local supermarket (Odiham Co-Op) markings are on the floor to social distance, customers not waiting to move to next one when customer in front moves forwards to next line. People walking past at close distance. Staff do stand aside to let you go past. I never see the trolleys and baskets being sanitized and I never see customers using the hand cleanser.
People outside pub/cafe sitting at close tables. It's as if there is no virus again

Sussexborn Mon 13-Jul-20 10:04:07

People have been pretty good around here. We, or they, hang back and keep their distance. OH did say there were seven men sitting around one table that would normally seat six, in a pub garden. Hopefully being outside will help.

Had lunch in a craft type shopping place. It was a bit odd having the food placed on the opposite side of the table to us but will be the norm for the foreseeable future. Had to give contact info etc before being allowed in and then stay sitting at the table. I got the impression that the staff had been practicing keeping their distance. They all looked happy to be back at work and relieved to have customers. Actually getting in to the building was problematic with arrows and chalked instructions but a staff member came to our rescue.

Decided to book at my favourite place and couldn’t get in until mid August as every date was already booked, but at least I will have had my hair tidied up by then

krazykat Mon 13-Jul-20 10:08:31

I'm sheilding so only going out once a week to my gp surgery for dressing changes which takes me about 5 min walk each way.
I live on quite a run down council estate but everybody seems quite good, if they see another person coming they cross to the other side of the road.
We have everyone from young mums to quite elderly oaps living here and it seems standard across the board to social distance.

Annaram1 Mon 13-Jul-20 10:12:13

grannyrebel, where do you live?

I am nearly 80 and walk with a stick. If people try to barge past me on the pavement I wave my stick at them and shout "Two metres distance!" that usually works.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 13-Jul-20 10:14:40

I cycled pass our local bar area on Sunday and it was if the virus didn't exist. I find if I wear a mask people tend to be better at giving me social distance. As for wearing masks I am a great believer, in Thailand they had 58 deaths but the order was given at the very start of the outbreak for everyone to wear masks. Which they did.

polnan Mon 13-Jul-20 10:16:10

Masks do not protect the wearer.

right? or not?

Craftycat Mon 13-Jul-20 10:16:25

Just to stand up for Surrey. I met my son & grandchildren for a walk round Godstone onds yesterday morning. Afterwards we went into a local pub garden & they had a strict policy where you had to walk along the marked route to your table & all the staff were masked. We were very impressed at the lengths they had gone to.

emmasnan Mon 13-Jul-20 10:16:33

In the town centre near to me very few people seem to be following the social distancing on the streets, Better in shops but a few people are still getting far too close.

Strangely on my housing estate most are being very good and crossing the road or stepping aside.

Craftycat Mon 13-Jul-20 10:17:12

Godstone Ponds!!

SeaWatcher Mon 13-Jul-20 10:22:23

I live in South London and very little evidence of social distancing in shops (apart from the checkout queues) and in the street. I haven't ventured onto public transport yet or to a restaurant but I have been to the hairdresser. They were taking all the required precautions but I did think about the amount of plastic (aprons, masks, coat covers, etc) which they are having to get through every day.

sandwichgeneration Mon 13-Jul-20 10:27:09

Social distancing in South London virtually non-existent. Quite scary. I wear a mask. Very few others do. Wouldn't go near a pub or restaurant at present. Local coffee shop/cafe open as usual. Tables as before. Staff with no masks or gloves. All to be avoided.

sandwichgeneration Mon 13-Jul-20 10:29:04

Masks can protect the wearer if worn correctly and changed regularly. Better than nothing.

Annaram1 Mon 13-Jul-20 10:33:29

A lady on TV said that in every country where masks are compulsory the virus numbers are going down.

Kim19 Mon 13-Jul-20 10:38:57

Polnan..... who knows? Not you, not me and certainly not the 'experts'

winterwhite Mon 13-Jul-20 10:40:32

Rather agree with lemongrove. The very expression social distancing has run its course, as 2 metres now seems antisocial when we are trying to get back to normal. I thought the great British public had been very compliant during the height of lockdown so some rather unfair comments there. Masks can be uncomfortable. Masks on other people can be scary. Evidence is not strong either way.

Matelda Mon 13-Jul-20 10:43:29

The Government has to make the decisions now, and seem to be prioritising getting the economy rebooted over the health of individuals. There is no pretending these days that they are following the science. I have read that the scientists now believe that the particles of virus are so tiny they can hang in the air long after the infected person has passed by, but it seems to me the Government can't say this because it would kill the economic recovery stone dead. I personally am therefore avoiding indoor public spaces, or wearing a mask if I must go in. I don't think that outdoors is so dangerous as particles will disperse quickly. We must now all take responsibility for our own behaviour. I'm embracing mask-chic - having my lower face covered covers my wrinkles too, and I'm going to have my hair dramatically restyled. The new normal might not be all bad after all.

ninathenana Mon 13-Jul-20 10:50:41

Our narrow High St. has recently been made pedestrian only between 10am and 4pm Monday to Saturday this has been done to enable social distancing. The majority of locals protested because they could no longer park for free right outside a shop and 'pop in' There are 4 car parks within 3-5 mins walk of the High St.
They can't see that it's for their own good.

growstuff Mon 13-Jul-20 10:54:04

In what way is two metres anti-social? If there is to be any return to normality, social distancing and making an effort to stop transmission, including wearing a mask, must be the norm. There is no other alternative.

ElaineRI55 Mon 13-Jul-20 10:54:54

I am so pleased we have had clear guidance in Scotland and have been relieved to see the use of face maks at the shops I've been to at almost 100% in the last couple of days.

Social distancing has also been fairly good so far from what I've seen, but we did have our share of packed beaches as well!

I hope the opening of pubs and restaurants doesn't lead to a sharp increase in cases.

Face masks do offer some protection - various academic studies have been carried out, some in very rigorous conditions. Here's a couple of straightforward articles from Oxford and Cambridge unis.

www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-07-08-oxford-covid-19-study-face-masks-and-coverings-work-act-now

www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/widespread-facemask-use-could-shrink-the-r-number-and-prevent-a-second-covid-19-wave-study

I'd certainly rather reduce the risk to myself and others by even a small amount than not at all.

Stay safe everyone.

growstuff Mon 13-Jul-20 10:55:55

polnan

Masks do not protect the wearer.

right? or not?

They protect others and could protect the wearer. They don't do any harm.

Why has wearing masks become a polarised, political issue?

growstuff Mon 13-Jul-20 10:57:54

Annaram1

grannyrebel, where do you live?

I am nearly 80 and walk with a stick. If people try to barge past me on the pavement I wave my stick at them and shout "Two metres distance!" that usually works.

What a great idea! I think I'll get myself a stick! grin

catta5 Mon 13-Jul-20 10:59:38

Queuing outside of shops fine but inside forgotten and as for all those recent marches and demonstrations arm in arm right next to folks no wonder some cities are in lockdown. I am feeling very pessamistic

FarNorth Mon 13-Jul-20 11:06:44

neither does it suit the style of many Britains to follow directives

It would help if clear directives were given, as a start.

Jillybird Mon 13-Jul-20 11:23:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.