Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Holiday in Brittany anyone?

(82 Posts)
maddyone Sun 19-Jul-20 19:06:14

The R rate in Brittany has spiked recently, going from 0.92 to 2.62. We had thought that after lockdown it would be nice to get away for a week or so, travelling via the ferry to Brittany. I had checked out holiday cottages and found a number that seemed suitable, in the country, fairly isolated, but near enough to shops to buy provisions. Our son and daughter are both going on holiday at the end of August and so it seemed an ideal opportunity to escape for a few days. However, with the R rate rising in Brittany, it seems that it’s no longer a good idea.
Anyone else feel that any chance of a few days escape is evaporating?

BlueSky Sun 30-Aug-20 19:18:08

Elianne it was exciting and romantic just because we were young! I've been feeling quite nostalgic lately, guess it's old age creeping on...

EllanVannin Sun 30-Aug-20 12:21:54

Just a thought concerning the virus, that's all Ellianne smile

Ellianne Sun 30-Aug-20 12:05:22

Does anyone get the feeling we're being brainwashed?
A lot worse things to discuss on a lovely Sunday morning, EV. grin I hope you were being cheeky!

EllanVannin Sun 30-Aug-20 10:49:50

Does anyone get the feeling we're being brainwashed ?

Alexa Sun 30-Aug-20 10:36:12

Ellianne, what a lovely place! Thank you. Just the sort of scenery I like.
Oh Ploumanac'h! I wonder what the name means. The language is supposed to be like Welsh I think.

Alexa Sun 30-Aug-20 10:27:12

BlueBelle it was actually quite unRitz sometimes. Just after the war in France was not too comfortable. One hostel was a villa by the sea called Villa Ker Yvonne. The mere aubergiste had no blankets , and we shivered in out cotton sleeping bags.

Another hostel was old wartime underground tunnels in Quiberon, and it was so damp all the hostellers had to take the mattresses and blankets outdoors every morning to air them.

The mere aubergiste in St Brieuc had an unhappy and grudging air, and we wondered if she thought we were Bosch,instead of Scottish

I do find a little discomfort makes for a really memorable holiday. I paid for my holiday in Brittany from a small legacy from three dear adopted grandmothers.

Iam64 Sun 30-Aug-20 08:35:24

maddyone- we have flights booked late September, to our favourite Greek island. We know the area well, it's very quiet and there have been no cases there. Last time I looked, the island had one covid death and 98 cases since early March. The air line deep cleans after every flight, passengers wear masks. My GP was fully in support of me making this trip.

Ellianne Sun 30-Aug-20 08:26:20

Why was young love in France (or abroad) always so romantic? Whether on holiday with a partner or meeting a local abroad it all seemed very exciting in those days. I don't think it happens so much now.

BlueSky Sun 30-Aug-20 00:52:23

I would stay put this year as much as we feel we need a holiday. I wouldn't even book for next year yet. Glad we've done our travelling and bought the T shirt!

BlueSky Sat 29-Aug-20 22:41:33

How lovely Alexa! Youth hostelling in Brittany with your husband to be! I bet to you it was like the Ritz! wine

Ellianne Sat 29-Aug-20 22:23:45

And a photo.

Ellianne Sat 29-Aug-20 22:23:05

Aw Alexa, lovely memories for you from long ago.
Here's one especially for you. Ploumanac'h.

Alexa Sat 29-Aug-20 20:59:05

My husband to be and I went youth hostelling in Brittany in the early 50s. It was a magical place then and the place names still thrill me.

Ellianne Sat 29-Aug-20 19:26:07

Yes, France is in a bad way. They said at Le Tour de France today that they don't know how long the race will last if riders get the virus. There is talk a lockdown may happen.
Even if they are seen on CCTV in their hotel without a mask the rider is out!

maddyone Sat 29-Aug-20 18:51:52

Thanks for the heads up on that Ellianne. I think we’ve decided that Normandy isn’t a good destination any longer, not because of quarantine when we get back, but the spread of the virus in France is moving rather quickly. We are considering a Greek Island but haven’t booked anything yet. To be honest, we’re not sure what to do at the moment.

Ellianne Sat 29-Aug-20 17:56:38

Just in case anyone is planning a trip, not good news from CEO Brittany Ferries yesterday.
We have had to take the difficult decision to lay up ships and to temporarily close routes this autumn.

maddyone Thu 23-Jul-20 23:08:56

Thank you for your kind offer Mamie, I think if we go, that’s where it will be. We’ve been before quite a few times, and indeed we’ve been many times to Brittany. But a little, quiet break in Normandy would do us both good, but especially me. My depression is lifting quite a lot now that I’m doing more normal things, carefully. I’ll always take care to protect myself and others as much as I can. It’s all any of us can do really.

Abracadabra Thu 23-Jul-20 21:43:08

Paperbackwriter

I really don't like the element of blame that seems to be prevalent with this virus. If someone visits your area for any reason and YOU catch the virus, then it's you who has been out mingling and taking risks. You can't expect freedoms for yourselves that you would deny to others and you can't expect people to stay at home just because you live in a beautiful area and want to keep it all to yourself. All we can do is protect ourselves as well as we can and treat others as we would wish to be treated.
I'm in Cornwall at the moment and - thank goodness - there's been no sign of the horrible 'them and us' attitude that I was dreading. This really is about all of us: let's try and be generous with our beautiful spaces and a bit less greedily territorial.

Thank you, excellent post and also very reassuring

newnanny Wed 22-Jul-20 22:33:20

I have a large house in Morlaix in Brittany. It is 2 k outside of Morlaix close to coast and National Forrest and perfect really. Sadly dh has autoimmune disorder and so has been shielding. We have discussed it and decided not to ho this summer. We usually ho for 6 weeks. I think our son is going instead and taking his best friend and his wife and children, two other friends too.

NotSpaghetti Wed 22-Jul-20 11:00:52

Mamie I was answering the original question as I said. I wasn't asking one. The OP asked:

"Holiday in Brittany anyone?"

Sawsage2 Mon 20-Jul-20 20:44:23

I have been to Bridlington on the East coast this weekend. Packed with people not socially distancing, no masks etc. I kept mine on. Speedboats and other pleasure boats running as normal. Stayed at a lovely hotel and they kept to the regulations.

ajswan Mon 20-Jul-20 18:44:14

I have just booked a day trip to Brighton on a coach and four nights at Warner’s going in August and I cannot wait, I have also had lunch in a restaurant and a drink at The British Legion. IMO you have just as much chance of catching the virus popping in to the local Co-Op

Ashcombe Mon 20-Jul-20 16:45:53

I’m not on holiday exactly but I have left my home in Torquay to travel to la Sarthe where my (British) husband lives. We were last together over five months ago! The main difficulty I encountered last Tuesday was when driving from home to Portsmouth. From mid afternoon, Dorset Council have cleaners performing deep chemical cleaning of public conveniences after which they are locked for the night! Thank goodness for my Shepee and Rownham Services on the M27!

Once on board, I spent the overnight voyage in my cabin, only emerging for breakfast where social distancing was enforced. My mask was in place in public areas, apart from when eating and when having my passport checked.

Up to date statistics on Covid-19 hospital cases in each department (counties) in France, including intensive care admissions and deaths may be found on this website, on which one can also view daily figures from the start of the outbreak by changing the date at the top.

mapthenews.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/5df19abcf8714bc590a3b143e14a548c

Bluecat Mon 20-Jul-20 15:57:31

I don't want to sound unsympathetic but I don't understand all the fuss about holidays. With all the stress, the isolation and the danger we have been subjected to, having to manage without a holiday doesn't seem to be the end of the world.

We were supposed to be going to Edinburgh in June and taking the grandkids to Devon in July, but we have re-booked them for next year. We just hope that the situation will be better by then. More disappointingly, we were hoping to visit our family in the USA in August and our eldest grandson and his girlfriend wanted to visit England this year. None of this will be happening now. But the virus is still around and staying safe is the priority. There is also the danger of spreading it to other people. These things, to me, outweigh the benefits of a holiday. I do sympathise with people who earn their living in the travel industry but travel, particularly overseas, seems very risky now. I don't see how it can be safe to be crowded together on a plane, and who wants to be the one who takes Covid to an idyllic little village somewhere?

Of course, it's all academic from my point of view, as I live in Leicester and we are not allowed out of the leper colony for overnight stays.

4allweknow Mon 20-Jul-20 15:56:20

Think these spikes are going to be the norm with less restrictions applied and more movement of people. What puts me off going anywhere outside UK is the health care. Not tgat it would be deficient in any way but the implications of what I can be insured for and Covid-19 certainly isn't one occurrence, never mind dying and not being brought home. Perhaps I am looking just a bit too on the down side but the way things are there are no guarantees on anything that used to be.