Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Holiday in Brittany anyone?

(81 Posts)
maddyone Sun 19-Jul-20 19:06:14

The R rate in Brittany has spiked recently, going from 0.92 to 2.62. We had thought that after lockdown it would be nice to get away for a week or so, travelling via the ferry to Brittany. I had checked out holiday cottages and found a number that seemed suitable, in the country, fairly isolated, but near enough to shops to buy provisions. Our son and daughter are both going on holiday at the end of August and so it seemed an ideal opportunity to escape for a few days. However, with the R rate rising in Brittany, it seems that it’s no longer a good idea.
Anyone else feel that any chance of a few days escape is evaporating?

Ellianne Sun 19-Jul-20 19:17:37

I wondered this maddyone. Is it because like Devon and Cornwall Brittany got off lightly earlier on and had few cases? So the R rate will look a lot higher if cases rise. I know a lot of French from other regions, particularly Paris, have been on holiday in Brittany for a few weeks now.

J52 Sun 19-Jul-20 20:00:32

Sadly I think this will be the norm from now on. I would be reluctant to book any holiday abroad as Coronavirus outbreaks and lockdowns will be unpredictable and inevitable.

BlueSky Sun 19-Jul-20 20:09:06

I think we need to expect that here in the U.K. too, with the relaxation of rules and people travelling all over the country. I guess the holiday areas will be affected more.

Carillion01 Sun 19-Jul-20 20:12:13

The r rate in Brittany hasn’t been very high because we are a careful and caring rural community and haven’t been cavalier about Covid in the way many have been in Paris, London Bournemouth, etc
I find your post distasteful Maddyone and ill-informed. Stay in the UK, have a staycation.

maddyone Sun 19-Jul-20 20:18:27

Why is it distasteful?

biba70 Sun 19-Jul-20 20:18:54

Carillion Britanny was in red alert again last week - so your comment is really distasteful and unfair.

EllanVannin Sun 19-Jul-20 20:22:52

2 choices, either go and take a chance or remain cooped up
until next year. This is how it's going to be and the reason for the wearing of masks.
I'd say at this stage that it's a personal choice. It'll be the same wherever you go.
I'd rather wait until this time next year until it possibly could be all clear . What's the rush to go away ?

Carillion01 Sun 19-Jul-20 20:23:43

Ellianne...’got off lightly’ ? . .. maybe people in Devon, Cornwall and Brittany who didn’t manage to attend the funerals of their loved ones wouldn’t see that as getting off lightly.

maddyone Sun 19-Jul-20 20:23:59

And why is it ill informed? I knew the R rate was low in Brittany, and now I know it’s rising. This is a fact. Why is it ill informed?
I find your post Carillion to be unnecessarily sharp. Brittany welcomes holiday makers from all over Europe normally, and is happy to do business with those travellers. My family have holidayed in Brittany many times over many years. I fail to see why my post is either distasteful or ill informed.

Carillion01 Sun 19-Jul-20 20:26:06

biba70, Nantes was a ‘hotspot’. There were fewer cases in the Morbihan and less in Cores D’Armor.

maddyone Sun 19-Jul-20 20:26:13

I would suggest that anyone who wasn’t able to attend the funeral of their loved one would be upset and hurt. It doesn’t matter where a person lives, the pain is the same.

biba70 Sun 19-Jul-20 20:26:31

2 regions are now in red alert, the SE coast and Britanny. Fact.

maddyone Sun 19-Jul-20 20:26:50

Thank you biba.

maddyone Sun 19-Jul-20 20:27:53

biba
Should have said I meant thank you for picking up on the unnecessarily sharp retort. It’s not needed.

maddyone Sun 19-Jul-20 20:31:29

And as I understand it, the Parisians are the ones most likely carrying Coronavirus into Brittany. The British are not yet on holiday mostly, and at this stage cannot be blamed.

Carillion01 Sun 19-Jul-20 20:32:28

Maddyone, Brittany isn’t a holiday destination for me or a second home. I have lived here for a good while.
During the pandemic I have followed daily health bulletins because I have needed to. From France24, Sky, BBC et al.
So my comments are not unnecessarily harsh but realistic. However if I have offended you I apologise.my views however remain the same.

Callistemon Sun 19-Jul-20 20:32:51

There is absolutely nothing distateful about maddyone's OP, Carillion

It is factual and a worrying trend which we may see more of in all countries, particularly holiday areas, as people venture out more.

I'd wait and see, maddyone, it could be a temporary blip which settles again after the first flurry of visitors.

Peardrop50 Sun 19-Jul-20 20:43:38

Personally I'd rather stay at home and avoid other people wherever possible. Better safe than sorry. Easy for me to say as I live near the sea but believe me the beaches of Anglesey are no longer attractive since the hordes arrived last weekend.
I don't think maddyone meant to be offensive Carillion, she was just repeating what she'd heard and expressing concern that nowhere is going to be completely safe for a long time, even beautiful Brittany.
We're all a bit sensitive at the moment.

Callistemon Sun 19-Jul-20 20:52:44

It has been widely reported.

I think we will see localised spikes, unfortunately.

Ellianne Sun 19-Jul-20 21:39:16

Carillion01 I do think you are being a bit over sensitive here. Both the OP and I were talking about the geographical area of Brittany, not its people. Of course loved ones who couldn't attend funerals weren't let off lightly wherever they lived, but the region of Brittany itself did escape the ravages of covid19 in a way that eastern and northern France and Paris did not. Like Devon and Cornwall, the region was lucky because it was behind other areas in the number of infections. The residents of Brittany are no more caring and careful as you describe than those of Alsace, Pas de Calais or Mayenne, so it would seem churlish to gloat over one region's good fortune.

Ellianne Sun 19-Jul-20 21:49:00

This link might reassure you Carillion01

www.lemonde.fr/planete/article/2020/07/18/covid-19-la-bretagne-fait-face-a-une-circulation-plus-active-du-virus_6046612_3244.html

Hetty58 Sun 19-Jul-20 21:54:07

maddyone, it's not a case of 'any chance of a few days escape' being ruined. There are plenty of other places to go.

maddyone Sun 19-Jul-20 23:10:46

Hetty You’re right of course, but I was disappointed. We, like thousands of others, have cancelled two planned holidays this year, one to Skiathos in June, and another with our daughter and her family, to EuroDisney and driving down to the Black Forest area with them. I absolutely understand that we are not unique in having to cancel holidays, nor are we as retired people, going to become unemployed, as many others unfortunately will. But I do think it’s natural to feel able to plan something nice, and as Brittany seemed a fairly safe destination, we thought a week or so in a cottage would have made a pleasant change. We would have been taking our custom to the area, we were planning to be fairly isolated, and we had decided we would not eat in restaurants or cafes, but cook for ourselves.

Of course I accept your apology Carillion I understand that you do not wish to have Covid19 brought to the area you live in, but I doubt that the community around you is any more caring than many other communities the world over, during this terrible pandemic. Many Gransnetters have given testimony to the kindness of their communities during this difficult time. None of us are in the first flush of youth, and I doubt many, if any of us have been on crowded beaches, partaking in marches and demonstrations, or engaging in careless behaviour over the last few months. Most of us battened down the hatches and got on with lockdown, just the same as you did.

maddyone Sun 19-Jul-20 23:16:07

Luckily we had not yet booked anything yet, although my son and his family have booked a house in Brittany for two weeks, the same house he went to last year. He has cancelled his planned holiday to Florida and the Disney Parks as clearly it is not advisable to go to America, and a holiday is hardly essential travel. He has invited us to join them for a week as they’ll have a spare bedroom, but I’m awaiting developments.