Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

More exciting news -treatment this time

(11 Posts)
Peardrop50 Tue 21-Jul-20 12:04:34

Excellent news, not just for covid-19 but for many other illnesses in the future, a real breakthrough. We can be hopeful.

maddyone Tue 21-Jul-20 11:59:12

Very good news.

EllanVannin Tue 21-Jul-20 11:15:00

During training I remember being taught about administering oxygen and how to regulate it in conjunction with a patient's breathing and before computerised ventilators came about many very sick patients did well with non-invasive ventilation and just an oxygen mask.

EllanVannin Tue 21-Jul-20 11:06:19

I'd said from the beginning that an inhaler ( ventolin ) should have been used to open up the airways of those struggling to breathe rather than invasive ventilation which should only be used as a last resort. I'd like to bet that invasive ventilation has caused one or two deaths as it has its risks and complications.

Teetime Tue 21-Jul-20 10:36:32

Its really good news - well done NHS the treatment is getting better and better. There is always hope.

Ilovecheese Tue 21-Jul-20 10:20:37

This treatment will be available to us all free of charge thanks to our NHS. That is if the Government has not sold it to American insurance companies in the meantime.

Babs758 Tue 21-Jul-20 10:17:55

So good to get some positive news for a change :-)

GagaJo Tue 21-Jul-20 10:07:36

Yes, I read that Maw. Very hopeful for those of us that haven’t had it yet.

Jane10 Tue 21-Jul-20 09:43:20

This is so encouraging. Its also very sad for those families who lost members earlier on to this horrible virus. They must be wondering if they could have benefited and maybe still be here. Life is hard.
Great work researchers. Keep it up.

BlueSky Tue 21-Jul-20 09:38:04

Encouraged news Maw together with the possible vaccine. At the moment like a lot of people, I go from being optimistic to feeling we'll never win it.

MawB Tue 21-Jul-20 08:41:37

As this is likely to be behind a firewall I have copied it with apologies for the length.

A “GAME-CHANGING” treatment for Covid-19 could reduce the chance of serious illness by 80 per cent, research suggests.

Trials using an inhaled protein, which is commonly used to treat multiple sclerosis, found that patients given it were more than twice as likely to recover during the treatment period, compared with those given a placebo

Stays in hospital were cut by a third, according to the study of Southampton hospital patients

The treatment from biotech firm Synairgen used a protein called interferon beta, which the body produces when it gets a viral infection

Synairgen was started by three professors, Stephen Holgate, Donna Davies and Ratko Djukanovic, who worked together at Southampton University’s School of Medicine.

The firm, which will present its findings to medical regulators within days, expects to be able to deliver “a few 100,000” doses a month by the winter, if the treatment is approved.

Getting approval may take months, but it is possible the drug could get emergency approval, as happened with the drug Remdesivir. Alternatively larger trials may be ordered
The drug, known as SNG001, is inhaled using a nebuliser in order to stimulate an immune response. Richard Marsden, chief executive of the company, said: “We couldn’t have expected much better results than these

The trial found that hospital patients who ended up developing the most severe form of the disease – to the point where they required ventilation or they died – was reduced by 79 per cent during the treatment period of up to 16 days, compared with patients who received the placebo. The average time spent in hospital was cut from nine days to six

Overall, those on the drug were two to three times more likely to recover to the point where they could continue daily activities during the trial.

Three people (six per cent) died after being assigned the placebo, while there were no deaths among those who received the drug, Synairgen said

Tom Wilkinson, a professor of respiratory medicine at Southampton University and trial chief investigator, said the findings showed the drug had huge potential in restoring the lung’s immune response, and speeding recovery from Covid-19

Researchers said the treatment could not only help the lungs’ ability to neutralise the virus, but could also tackle a mutated version, or co-infection with other viruses, such as flu, which may emerge this winter .