Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Quarantine reintroduced for those returning from Spain

(231 Posts)
B9exchange Sat 25-Jul-20 22:08:58

This is a bit sudden, usually we get a week's warning. Even Grant Schapps is on holiday over there. Will he had to quarantine for 2 weeks? Will there be exceptions?

gillybob Mon 27-Jul-20 22:25:04

I would absolutely love a sunshine holiday . But it’s so far from my reality that it might as well be a walk on the moon.

Chewbacca Mon 27-Jul-20 22:30:31

Same here gillybob. But at least this year we won't feel as much "out of the loop" as in other years because a lot of people will be staying at home too. smile

Luckygirl Mon 27-Jul-20 22:32:54

This is the right thing - and what we should have done in February in relation to Spain - and Italy and any other country that was rife with the virus.

gillybob Mon 27-Jul-20 22:39:20

Well I guess that’s true chewy . I’m normally the person at the hairdressers “who’s not going anywhere on holiday” but this year I guess I might be like most people .

honeyrose Mon 27-Jul-20 22:58:22

I just wouldn’t risk a holiday abroad this year as things are so uncertain. A holiday is meant to be relaxing - with all the doubts hanging over us, it would be far from relaxing.

Chewbacca Mon 27-Jul-20 23:13:05

I do feel sorry for all those people who've pitched up at the airport tonight to fly to the Spanish islands and now have to turn around and go back home. A lot of very disappointed families.

merlotgran Mon 27-Jul-20 23:19:17

But don't you think they're taking a chance going on holiday in a pandemic?

maddyone Mon 27-Jul-20 23:22:29

Luckygirl
I have said that so, so many times. Why we didn’t close our borders, in particular to countries with such high levels of Covid19, I will never know. To keep our borders open was the biggest mistake in my opinion. Of course citizens would have needed to return, and then quarantine, and freight would have been admitted, but to keep our borders open to all and sundry was absolute madness, and it makes me cross. How many people lost their lives due to this idiotic decision? I read somewhere during the pandemic that whilst the virus has mutated very little, there are some small differences, and the type found mainly in Britain was the same as the type in Italy. And people were flying in from Italy, no quarantine, all through from January onwards. Not to mention 3000 people from Madrid to a football match in Liverpool. Oh dear, this particular subject makes my blood boil, it’s really not good for my blood pressure.

Chewbacca Mon 27-Jul-20 23:34:47

I do merlot, most definitely but I still felt very sorry to see those 2 little girls in tears at the airport when they were told that they couldn't go on holiday and had to go back home.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Jul-20 07:46:24

Love Crace’s headline.

“Pain in Spain as Miguel Verde.....is trapped by whack-a-mole quarantine”

H1954 Tue 28-Jul-20 07:53:42

merlotgran

I have no sympathy. Anyone risking going abroad for a holiday so soon after total Lockdown was taking a chance.

We have a holiday industry of our own that could do with support.

Completely agree with you Merlot! Although restrictions were lifted the virus has not gone away. Quite why anyone thought it is ok to jet off on holiday within days is beyond me. The UK has some fabulous holiday destinations that will have suffered financially during lockdown; I know where my holiday money will be spent.

Blinko Tue 28-Jul-20 08:04:05

Another one here agreeing with Merlot and H1954. It seems to me there's a lot of people out there who think it's all over....

Galaxy Tue 28-Jul-20 08:25:24

But it's a risk to go on holiday in this country, everything is a risk at the moment. We have booked a holiday in the uk in August but that area could go into local lockdown.

gillybob Tue 28-Jul-20 08:26:59

Yesterday Our local radio interviewed some people effected by the new 2 week quarantine rules except they picked the wrong people to highlight the issue.

One was a man who was just coming to the end of a 2 week holiday in Spain who said he wasn’t bothered as he was a teacher anyway (my thoughts were he must’ve went on holiday in what was technically term time but never mind) he went in to say that he was going back to Spain in another 3 weeks with his family and will still have enough time left to do a second quarantine ! Could you even make that up ? And what a stupid example to set .

Sparklefizz Tue 28-Jul-20 08:56:00

Apparently Prof Chris Whitty, Chief Medical Officer, insisted on the new rules re Spain because 10 British holidaymakers returned to the UK from Spain with the virus after the holiday market first opened.

Think how quickly that could spread to hundreds/thousands over here.

Mamie Tue 28-Jul-20 09:48:52

Surely at the start of the holiday season it was more likely that British people might have been spreading it abroad? People seem to be forgetting that the UK (and England in particular) has the worst Covid death rate in Europe?
For us, the point is that travel adds an additional layer of risk, so we will not be travelling anywhere, including the UK. We are lucky enough to live an hour from the beach and have had a very hot summer so far. I have been swimming quite happily in the Channel, which is my only reason to want to go to the beach anyway.

Jaxjacky Tue 28-Jul-20 09:52:13

When the air bridges were opened the government said they wouldn’t hesitate to close them again if necessary,

ginny Tue 28-Jul-20 10:54:02

Exactly, Jaxjacky. They took the chance and now don’t like the consequences.

maddyone Tue 28-Jul-20 10:59:22

Sparklefizz
I’ve just seen that too. The recommendation came from Prof Chris Whitty, and since the government has always claimed to be following the science, it could hardly ignore his recommendation. Imagine the headlines if they did!
Ten people have already returned to Britain and tested positive. Imagine if hundreds of thousands were allowed to return with no quarantine. We’d be in a second huge wave very quickly. We were supposed to be going to Canada later this year, but their borders are still closed, even though they have fewer cases than we do. That’s the way to do it, in my opinion.

Sparklefizz Tue 28-Jul-20 11:11:43

Yes maddyone. People have mentioned many times that we should close borders like New Zealand did ..... now, at last, the UK is acting quickly to prevent another surge. We are already above the R number in certain parts of the UK, I believe.

I am not planning a holiday this year, in the UK or abroad, but I still took note when the Govt made clear about 2 weeks ago that the rules might have to change at short notice, as JaxJacky says above.

BlueSky Tue 28-Jul-20 11:19:19

Galaxy

But it's a risk to go on holiday in this country, everything is a risk at the moment. We have booked a holiday in the uk in August but that area could go into local lockdown.

Exactly Galaxy!

Laughterlines Tue 28-Jul-20 11:37:35

I live in a popular holiday destination. All the holidays are booked up until the new year. I have noticed that houses normally occupied by families now seem to be occupied by ten to sixteen people perhaps sharing their holiday with friends. They seem to be enjoying themselves and are respectful of distancing rules. They won’t have to quarantine afterwards. Maybe they should who knows.

blondenana Tue 28-Jul-20 12:01:52

kittylester

blondenana

kittylester i hope your daughter will enjoy Scarborough, at least we have had no cases reported for the last 4 weeks
Although the weather isn't brilliant at the moment

*blondenana, thank you. They lived in Scarborough when they first got married and SDiL's mother and her partner live there so they go quite often.

All seem to be behaving had a few arrests at first lockdown with youths gathering when they shouldn't have been but not heard of any trouble recently,and out of all shops and stores i have been in up to now, only seen 1 man [around 60-70 years old] who didn't wear a mask
Fairly quiet in town though compared to a usual summer, not sure about the beach area
Even had praise from the Government for people being sensible here

Lucca Tue 28-Jul-20 12:44:21

MawB. Oh yes I don’t disagree about there being interesting things to do innUK but it’s the high cost of accommodation that I was referring to!

And I will never stop wanting to go back to Italy and France, but no sweltering beaches involved !

Iam64 Tue 28-Jul-20 13:39:45

I'm still hoping to go to the small village in Greece that I know well. No cases in the area. Most people who visit are like me, want to walk, swim and sit reading in the shade during the hottest part of the day.
We were booked in for May, of course that didn't happen. I do understand why some are critical of Brits who want to fly off for some sun but I don't want to take up another judgemental position. Not that I'm in any position to do this given my yearning for Greece