Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

RVS Volunteer Scheme - experiences?

(6 Posts)
B9exchange Fri 31-Jul-20 13:26:44

I have just had my first call, after all this time. The siren went off, and it was to call a nearby house, which I did. At first I got no reply, but then they rang me back as I had forgotten to withhold my number as instructed. To my horror I was told the person I asked for had died! It then transpired that she had used one of these pendants for when you have a fall, and the family were wanting to give it back. But they hadn't requested any help in doing this, and had an address to send it to.

I apologised deeply for troubling them, rang off, went back to the app and pressed the 'help not required' button, but there seemed no way of reporting an unfortunate call.

Anyone else more experienced in using the Voulnteer scheme?

B9exchange Sat 01-Aug-20 12:39:50

Bumped this one because I am curious, are none of you signed up to the Volunteer scheme?

kittylester Sat 01-Aug-20 13:53:11

Dh is a long time volunteer for RVS but not on this scheme.

Anannymous Sat 01-Aug-20 14:09:36

I signed up at the beginning and had my phone with me at all times in case of a referral. To date I haven’t had any and have left it off for the past couple of weeks.

maydonoz Sat 01-Aug-20 18:11:44

A similar experience here, I signed up initially to take phone call referrals, I also heard nothing for weeks and weeks, so I decided to apply for local volunteering in the same context ie. Phone calls only, being over 70. Again nothing, which I found disappointing having troubled two old friends to provide references.
Lo and behold last week I had a call from the local one, this is after 2/3 months, but it was for someone who needed a big shop and prescriptions collecting. I explained that I had specifically said I could only do phone calls, being in the at risk group myself, but the lady calling me told me it had not appeared on her screen.
To put it mildly, it's all been a bit of a disaster!
I think I'll stick to my regular volunteering role on caring for DGC 2 days a week.

B9exchange Sat 01-Aug-20 21:49:03

Thank you for coming back with your experiences, it's really disappointing, isn't it? When the siren on my phone went off, I had forgotten all about it, felt an adrenaline rush as I realised what it was, and rang the number glad to be of help at last. I do hope someone is doing research into how effect the service is, and how many calls are not appropriate, because used properly it could make such a difference.

Away for a week next week so will switch it off, but hopefully I might get a call where I can actually help someone soon! Has anyone actually managed to provide assistance?