Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Post lockdown visits to the dentist

(96 Posts)
aonk Mon 17-Aug-20 11:56:53

I’m wondering how people have been getting on with recent visits to the dentist. I’ve had the same dentist for a number of years and have always been very comfortable and happy going there to see him and the hygienist. Since they reopened it’s been a different story. You have to wait outside ( at least it wasn’t raining) and all the staff there are so preoccupied with the new regime that I felt rushed and didn’t feel that I was listened to when pointing out a problem. I couldn’t believe the increase in fees either. This time last year I was paying £45 for 30 minutes with the hygienist. This increased to £50 in January and is now £75! I know they have had to spend a lot of money on new equipment but feel this is a very large increase. What do others think?

Hev61 Tue 18-Aug-20 13:29:04

My dentist is only open for emergencies. Have had two hygienist appointments cancelled as being seen every three months.one check up so far.I'm on denplan paying monthly so will be interesting to see if a charge for ppe happens when I finally get to go.

Ailidh Tue 18-Aug-20 13:28:13

I have Denplan, which is a monthly payment for 2 check-ups and 2 hygiene visits.

At the beginning of Lockdown, a filling came out of one tooth. I rang to let them know ~ not that I needed treatment at that point but in case it became really painful down the track, they'd have it on record.
Some weeks later, a filling came out of the other side of the same tooth, so I did the same.
Two days later they rang me to come in and get it sorted.

My practice has you wait outside and take your temperature too. When I went for Part 2 of the treatment, Thermometer Said No but they offered to re-take it in 5 minutes, and it was fine.

The monthly cost rises fractionally every January but it hasn't gone up due to Covid.

yogagran Tue 18-Aug-20 13:22:59

This episode of a BBC podcast explains why dentists are having a hard time -
www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000llx4

Guineagirl Tue 18-Aug-20 13:20:16

I also had to wait outside.

Fill forms in at home via iPad but I was happy to do so.

They were as lovely as ever and didn’t use the water jet to clean but used tools. I’ve always felt dentists to be very clean anyway and felt very safe there and positive. It felt great a bit of normality in my life.

I asked how they were coping after all it’s our mouths they are looking in but any fillings etc she said they have to be really suited up to do it.

GrammarGrandma Tue 18-Aug-20 13:08:24

I had to pay £160 for the hygienist but it was an hour.

Greciangirl Tue 18-Aug-20 12:36:55

I wonder when NHS patients will ever be seen.

Let’s not forget, dentists have just been awarded a pay rise, so it’s about time they resumed normal service.

Gingergirl Tue 18-Aug-20 12:34:40

In defence of the staff, I think you probably have to roll with it if they seem stressed. As far as your explaining the problem, the hygienist should have listened so if you’re not happy, maybe choose another dentist. I think the fees are all gojng up unfortunately. I had two urgent appointments about a month ago but otherwise, I would not have gone. I think a check up can probably wait a bit if you don’t have any issues. They can only see a fraction of the normal number of people as they need to deep clean between patients. My trips were fine. I didn’t see another person other than the staff and the work was done much as normal except they had ppe on.

essjay Tue 18-Aug-20 12:11:59

had 2 appointments cancelled at the start of lockdown, one for the dentist and the other for the hygienist, they were re scheduled for july. they were then cancelled and i was told it would probably be the end of the year as they had to give appointments to people who had had their earlier appointments cancelled. I tried pointing out that mine had been cancelled earlier but they didn't want to know.

Happysexagenarian Tue 18-Aug-20 12:05:10

I went for a 6 month checkup last week. My experience was very similar to Woodmouse and Suesocks. Every possible precaution was taken and I didn't feel rushed or nervous. I was there perhaps 30 minutes and paid the usual £45 no additional charges, even though they have had to install glass screens at reception and patient hand washing facilities in each of the surgeries. The Hygienist has a very long waiting list but fortunately my dentist said my own cleaning is excellent so its OK for me to wait a few months to see the hygienist. I'm just very relieved that my lovely dentist is still in business and hasn't succumbed to Covid.

dirgni Tue 18-Aug-20 11:59:58

My dentist has a policy of no face to face appointments! I lost a crown 10 days into lockdown and therefore cannot have it fixed. I’m not sure if I should try and find another dentist.

seadragon Tue 18-Aug-20 11:32:39

One of my front teeth fell out during lockdown - a son and a granddaughter were prone to throw their heads back when sitting on my lap and I further dislodged it taking my binoculars off in a hurry 9 months (sic!) ago. I'm therefore doubly grateful for the mandatory masks.... Contacted the dentist immediately knowing it would not be classed as an emergency. He did say, however, that it was a procedure they prefer to carry out sooner rather than later and has kept in touch by phone and by email with information about what they are doing to make surgeries safe and which treatments they are able to carry out. However, I am resigned to have to wait until next Spring at least. Meanwhile the gap is causing my upper lip to collapse on that side and getting lipstick on is a challenge. However I do this less often now as the mask spreads it all over my face.... I would probably have been distraught if this had happened before Covid-19 but we just laugh about it now. I am expecting the cost of dealing with the gap will make my eyes water. It surprises me how people have adapted to paying for treatments, such as dentistry and chiropody that once were freely provided by the NHS, though. The shape of things to come... Sadly to pay for health insurance as has been suggested is not within everyone's ability and may not cover you for the specific treatment you may need.... Once the rest of the NHS, now also managing social care in some areas, has been contracted out .... private health insurance will be far more expensive than paying our National Insurance....

sparklingsilver28 Tue 18-Aug-20 11:32:23

Had a regular six month check up a fortnight ago. Arrived early as I normally do, disabled and slow and need to find parking close by. Dentist coming out for his lunch told me to go and sit in the waiting room which I gratefully accepted. Seeing patients one every two hours to give them time to complete the cleaning between each. No extra charges, and going back next week to have a replacement buildup lost during lock-down. Cheerful and welcoming as normal.

LynneH Tue 18-Aug-20 11:31:42

@AGAA4 I’m just curious; how can you wear a mask when having your teeth seen to?

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 18-Aug-20 11:21:16

Oh! you are making me shudder!! I lost a filling just before lockdown and have been using temporary fillings since, I suspect a 'temporary' filling from the dentist might last just a bit longer.

poshpaws Tue 18-Aug-20 11:20:33

I saw my dentist yesterday as I'm afraid I may have mouth cancer. The receptionist asked the normal Covid-19 questions on the phone and when I arrived I had to ring to let them know I was outside: was given a mask and asked to sanitise my hands, put my bag in a box and got examined. They're referring me for a second opinion and there was NO charge! I was very happy with the whole experience. (Especially as the dentist says he doesn't think it's cancer!)

Nannan2 Tue 18-Aug-20 11:01:58

Brownflopsy, cant you ring a dental emergency number or something?then find a new dentist afterwards.

Chewbacca Tue 18-Aug-20 10:54:23

Similar set up for me Theoddbird.

Oopsadaisy Tue 18-Aug-20 10:53:50

You are within your rights to suspend paying into payment plans. This is the case for Gym memberships and dentists but they would rather not tell you that.

Nannan2 Tue 18-Aug-20 10:52:24

Had a visit to ours immediately before lockdown.The dentist and nurse both wore visors, and there was only me in.but our practice has you press a bell to be let in anyway as a norm so i guess they just make folk wait outside longer? I didnt wear a mask then, but back then it wasnt a thing- (How can they look at your teeth with a mask on?you'd have to remove it at some point, wouldn't you?? When lockdown hit, at first, i had pain, so i had to ring up and go and stand outside, ring bell, and receptionist, (in mask& gloves) passed me a sealed envelope through a gap in door,with a prescription for antibiotics in it.Since lockdown eased we have had a phone call to say unless we had dental pain they were cancelling our july appts till further notice, when backlog has decreased i presumed? I dont know if prices have increased, we are lucky, its nhs too & we dont usually have to pay..i do occasionally go to a private dentist for cleans (he's more gentle) or some work, i went before lockdown, his price was same, but now it could be different, I've not been.

lucyanne Tue 18-Aug-20 10:51:11

Well said Pattie47. One needs to ask oneself would I be prepared to work down someones mouth? I certainly would not. I missed out on getting a cap before lock down and then broke 2 teeth during lock down. My dentist fitted me in to repair them last month. I am allergic to any anesthetic they had to yank out the old filling as not using water or drills and drain an abscess. The relief at getting them fixed and rid of the pain was worth any amount of money. I thank God every day for my dentist.

Chardy Tue 18-Aug-20 10:47:19

I had a checkup in July. The practice was functioning normally, obviously with extra procedures in place. (I pay monthly too)

granbabies123 Tue 18-Aug-20 10:42:45

Is anyone waiting for hospital dental work as I am and have you heard anything. I just had a text saying not to contact them.

namo Tue 18-Aug-20 10:39:07

I’ve just phoned my dentist to ask for a check up. It’s about 18 months since I last went for a treatment and wanted to make sure everything is okay before another possible lockdown. However, the practice isn’t doing checkups. Only urgent and emergency.

Rosalyn69 Tue 18-Aug-20 10:32:10

I got called for a check up with my dentist last week as he has caught up with outstanding other work. It was the wait outside and sanitising procedure but I was glad they were being careful. He is rotating round three rooms to ensure for sufficient time for cleaning etc. I had a check up and a clean with instruments rather than the electronic gizmo.
All in all it was as good an experience as visiting the dentist ever is.

Ellie Anne Tue 18-Aug-20 10:28:04

Well I think you are all very lucky. I messaged my dentist when they reopened and am on the list for an appointment but have heard nothing from them. And as they are limited in what they can do they may not be able to fix it anyway. I don’t mind waiting outside or paying extra. I just want an appointment please!!!!