Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Trying on clothes in shops

(71 Posts)
Hebdenali Tue 18-Aug-20 12:35:05

In the small town where I live there are two lovely independent clothes shops both allowing the trying on of clothes. They are steaming any clothes not bought before putting them back out. The other shops in the town don’t allow this but say that the purchases can be returned. I am refusing to buy any clothes unless I can try them on first. By buying the items with a view to returning them feels like making an interest free loan to the store and that they will make a refund when they feel like it. I’m not sure that my bank balance would allow me to buy everything that I wanted to try on but not sure whether I wanted to buy. I needed a number of items to take away with me.
However I’m now at our apartment on the island of La Palma having flown out via Gran Canaria. We had a lovely time shopping there and I can go shopping at our local town on the island and try on whatever we feel like. Masks are obligatory but life has almost got back to normal.
If the high street in the UK is to survive the shops need to change their policy on clothing. I know no one who would buy clothes without trying them on first.
I have just received an email from Seasalt inviting me to book for a private shopping experience where they will “allow” me to try on clothes. This approach is NOT the answer. As far as I am aware no one has succumbed to the virus through trying on clothes.

mokryna Wed 19-Aug-20 01:52:06

A month or so back there was a light hearted consumer programme on tv regarding buying and returning online clothing. They seemed to prove the fact that clothes they had bought, then purposely marked before returning them were sent out again without being cleaned.

Curlywhirly Wed 19-Aug-20 08:49:53

MawB2 thanks for that. As well as having to take trousers up I have other problems - I have very narrow shoulders and hips, and sleeves are always too long! Many clothes just bury me, even some petite ones and I can't wear anything loose and floaty, I just look like a little girl dressing up in her Mum's clothes! Fitted tailored clothes suit me best, but they're not that easy to find. Luckily I can sew, so I do make all my own alterations, but I would just love to be able to buy something (anything!) without having to alter it!

Cambia Wed 19-Aug-20 09:34:14

First world problem again! Just don’t buy clothes if it is all too difficult.
Basically two options, buy online try and return if necessary or go without if you won’t buy without trying on.
Personally I buy online as sizes are always different. Most chain stores never have the right size in stock and it is much easier to order online.
Surely if you order and return immediately it shouldn’t cause a cash flow problem?

Aepgirl Wed 19-Aug-20 09:36:36

It’s simple to know if clothes have been steamed after trying on - they have a strange smell. Just wander round a charity shop where all clothes are steamed - it’s just horrid.

polnan Wed 19-Aug-20 09:38:50

I am so fortunate that I have little interest in clothes

what I don`t understand is,, if you buy online,,, how do you know if someone has not already tried it on , returned it, and HAS IT BEEN CLEANED?

at least in the shops they say they are cleaning between tryingson..

or am I being naive/stupid?

jaylucy Wed 19-Aug-20 09:44:35

I very rarely try before buying - usually my clothes shopping is done in a small slot of time either during a lunch hour or as part of another trip, eg hair dressers and are bound by public transport timings.
I would rather try clothing on at home with plenty of space, usually taking advantage of having the other clothing I want to wear with it to hand.
Those shops that are allowing the use of changing rooms are not only steaming the clothes, but many are also quarantining those clothes for 72 hours before putting them back out for sale.
You have not heard of anyone catching Covid from clothing ? How do you know? Seeing as many scientists are still not 100% sure as to how cases are appearing in unexpected places - water droplets land on anything and everything, not just hard surfaces and it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the virus stays live on fabrics - or why would you be advised to try and wash everything at 60 degrees where possible?

TwiceAsNice Wed 19-Aug-20 09:54:05

I have bought clothes on line from M&S and Boden . Free to send back. Boden says on its website clothes are isolated and cleaned before being resold. Fast refunds for things sent back and frequent sale offers. Their medium fits me well

chrissie13 Wed 19-Aug-20 10:05:41

I haven't been clothes shopping since the lockdown, just wondering whether people are trying things on outside of the changing rooms, jackets, cardigans for example, and whether this is allowed.

Frankie51 Wed 19-Aug-20 10:05:42

The shops in the UK are just following Covid19 safe procedures in the best way they know how. They would be heavily criticised if they didn't. They are trying their best to make people feel confident about retuning to shopping. The UK has had one of the heaviest death rates in Europe. I am more than happy to accept the restrictions for now in order to get us back to to the High St feeling safe doing so. What other countries choose to do is immaterial. They might be wrong. The return to shopping is fairly recent. Better to err on the side of caution. This is temporary, normal shopping will resume eventually.

Blinko Wed 19-Aug-20 10:10:37

I've been caught out shopping online. For one thing, as has already been mentioned, sizes are not standard and for another, you can't tell the quality. I've bought a couple of items which looked lovely on the model online but found that they were cheap and tacky when they arrived.

Hey ho, we live and learn.

threexnanny Wed 19-Aug-20 10:23:49

If I buy online I usually check that it will be free returns .

Recently heard about a young man who went out to buy his wedding suit. He choose the suit but was also given a choice of trouser styles eg slim fit or classic. Not being a regular shopper he had no idea which would be best and not allowed to try them on. He had limited time before the wedding so bought more than one pair, but now has to find the time to return the ones he doesn't want. I wonder how they get on in the suit hire shops?

Daisymae Wed 19-Aug-20 10:31:37

Remind me what the infection rates are in Spain? I think that it's necessary to change what we do for the time being, whatever it takes. I rarely try on clothes in shops except for special occasions. Lands End do trousers in various lengths so might be worth a try for anyone who needs non standard lengths. Which probably covers most of us.

Candelle Wed 19-Aug-20 10:36:12

For the past few years I have mostly been buying clothes online.

I over-order (unsure of size) and return where necessary.

Not for one second have I imagined that anything I return would be sent to landfill! Why would this happen? The return process is often slow and cumbersome taking a week and usually more.

Covid cannot live on fabric very well and surely wouldn't survive several weeks.

In any case, I always wash new purchases whether store or an online bought, so if I wash my hands too, surely I am safe?

Riggie Wed 19-Aug-20 10:50:56

I hate trying on in shops, maybe two items are my limit. I buy online bit from one or two companies I have used for years so I know their sizes and generally know what the fabric quality will be like.

seadragon Wed 19-Aug-20 11:09:34

I feel I know what suits me now and almost always buy from charity shops anyway, partly for financial reasons as I have been the, relatively low paid, main bread winner for 4 people during my career and now a pensioner, but also because I like quirky stuff in natural fibers like corduroy and cotton velvet which seem now to be largely extinct in current retail outlets these days. I also know which brands of jeans/trousers fit so I can grab a pair of Levis or Per Una jeans in the right size with confidence. Since my 3 years helping look after a grand baby I mainly adopt the jeans and tunic 'uniform' interspersed with the occasional ankle length long sleeved velvet dress. In general natural fibers are favorite. I was appalled by the recent crop of flowing M & S dresses which seemed fine on line - but turned out to have been made of Bri-nylon like fabric - when one or two designs tempted me in for a looksee. Many of the female tv presenters seem to be shopping there at the moment shrouded in heavily patterned flowing fabric and ...horror of horrors... Margaret Thatcher pussy bows...

4allweknow Wed 19-Aug-20 11:10:45

As I have no clothing shops near by other than the supermarkets that have a clothing section on line is my usual source. Otherwise I have quite a journey to a city. Trying on clothes in store when I think if it is really unhygienic. An item can be back on a rail within a few minutes for all and sundry to try on. I have seen clothing sticking out on the floor the changing rooms gathering goodness knows what. At the moment Covid regulations dictate all clothing returned must remain unused for 72 hours. Think I'll stick with on line. But of forethought required as to needs but I'll manage.

Moggycuddler Wed 19-Aug-20 11:13:20

At the moment I am not going out to shops at all. Haven't in months. Wouldn't want to risk it. So buying everything we need (clothes included) online. I would not feel safe trying on clothes right now.

GreenGran78 Wed 19-Aug-20 11:13:41

I hate trying on in shops, too, especially in hot weather. I’m not convinced that Covid can be spread by trying clothes on, but the shops have to obey the rules.
Buying online rarely works for me, and I hate the hassle of returning things.
Like curlywhirly I am just 5ft. Dresses, in particular, are a nightmare. They never seem to fit well. Also, most garment sleeves reach my fingertips. Even petite sizes are usually to fit 5ft 2ins, are hard to find in shops, usually more expensive and choice is limited.
I did get a pair of jeans in Asda recently, which fit perfectly. They were the shorter ‘capri’ length, and exactly ankle length on me!

Blossoming Wed 19-Aug-20 11:15:59

I usually buy online as it’s much easier when you have mobility impairments. I check the actual measurements against my measurements, which helps me to make sure that things will fit. I would normally try stuff on if shopping in town, but as that’s probably not an option at the moment I’d take my tape measure from my sewing kit. Not ideal but it will help.

moggie57 Wed 19-Aug-20 11:18:08

most places for trying on clothes are returned to a rail out back and left for 24 or 72 hours then re- steamed and re-hung.this is in charity shop though. no-one gets to try anything on.....as the donations are left in the changing room area. you can of course take them home try them on ,and as long as the price tag and receipt are bought back you can get a refund ,this is valid for 4 weeks.after that you dont get a refund..

timetogo2016 Wed 19-Aug-20 11:20:32

With Covid19 still lurking i will not try on clothes in store at all.
I buy most of my clothing on-line at the moment.

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 19-Aug-20 11:22:57

I am like Hebdenali, I like to try on clothes be fore buying. but just now with not being able to go out, I'm making do with what I have (although I have to admit some waistbands have shrunk). Anyway I have started exercises to overcome that.

Bijou Wed 19-Aug-20 11:25:23

For manly years I have used the same company for buying on line. Their styles suit me. I pay £9 a year for postage and free returns. Prompt service via Hermes.

Sparklefizz Wed 19-Aug-20 11:38:21

Bijou Who?

Cabbie21 Wed 19-Aug-20 12:01:37

I see no need for me to buy any clothes at all this year. I am not going anywhere much and have plenty of everyday clothes as I rarely throw anything out.
If I do find
I need something special to wear for an occasion, I may have to go and buy it as I am not sure if my “ best” clothes will still fit! So I need to try things on. I prefer to shop in an out of town retail place where there is plenty of room in the changing rooms.
I have rarely bought anything online as sizes and shapes vary so much. I don’t want the faff of returning things.