Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Your opinion on reporting of the pandemic

(109 Posts)
Alegrias Fri 21-Aug-20 12:51:45

The BBC website this morning was full of alarming headlines about cases going up in France, Spain, South Korea, and other places. However the Worldometer website shows that globally, the daily rise in number of cases has been essentially flat for most of August.
I'm not a virus denier nor do I want to minimise the impact this pandemic is having, but I'm interested in whether you think reporting from the mainstream media has been poor and we deserve better?

rosecarmel Sat 22-Aug-20 23:03:19

I wish one of the networks would have said that the pandemic wasn't preventable- Maybe they said it and I didn't catch it when they did-

It was already out there circulating before .. you know .. China let the cat out of the bag-

If wishes were horses .. China would have .. not acted like China ..

Some countries responded so much better than others- That is true-

And these places have not reported any cases:

Kiribati

Marshall Islands

Micronesia

Nauru

North Korea

Palau

Samoa

Solomon Islands

Tonga

Turkmenistan

Tuvalu

Vanuatu

growstuff Sun 23-Aug-20 03:12:21

It's actually quite concerning if it's true that so many people are asymptomatic. Obviously it's fine for them, but it means that they could unknowingly pass it on to somebody much more vulnerable. People who were at high risk of serious illness are still at high risk. You only have to be in contact with one infected person to catch it. We also now know that some people suffer serious long-term effects.

I'm fed up with jolly, upbeat messaging. I want to know how many people in my area are infected, so that I can make my own risk assessment, but that information isn't that easy to find and doesn't seem to be very accurate.

I'm fed up with people using language like "muzzle", "imprisoned", etc. The most vulnerable were shielded for their own protection. If people want to behave like selfish idiots, that's up to them, but I hope they realise that they've contributed to community transmission.

I'm fed up with hypocrisy. It always seems to be somebody else's fault. Currently, the biggest outbreaks are in places of work, including food processing factories. The workers are on minimum wage and can't afford to take time off sick. There's also some evidence that they're not observing social distancing, especially on their way to work.

I'm fed up with the way statistics have been manipulated to hide what's really going on.

growstuff Sun 23-Aug-20 03:14:12

rosecarmel It's not really surprising that those places have no cases. Most of them are islands and are hardly hubs of international travel and business.

rosecarmel Sun 23-Aug-20 03:19:28

The upbeat messaging grated on my last nerve .. but then again so did the opposite ..

Network news carries those tones so instead listen to radio "reporting" and other outlets that are more about facts than attitude-

NannyC2 Sun 23-Aug-20 15:40:33

The question was do we think the reporting from main stream media has been poor and do we deserve better.
Yes, the reporting has been abysmal and unreliable from main stream media and we do deserve better.
You can find more reliable sources - they are out there.
I would advise people to really ask questions as thousands upon thousands are wakening up to what's going on.
Please don't allow yourself to be manipulated.

growstuff Sun 23-Aug-20 15:50:37

rosecarmel

The upbeat messaging grated on my last nerve .. but then again so did the opposite ..

Network news carries those tones so instead listen to radio "reporting" and other outlets that are more about facts than attitude-

That's why I ignored it or skimmed through it and looked at first hand sources.

It was politicised early on with a few nutjobs even writing the most preposterous stuff and/or in denial.

All people need to know is that it's easily transmitted, how to avoid transmission, what the chances of being infected are and how it's likely to affect you and the people around you, knowing your personal risk factors.

There will almost certainly not be a viable vaccine for at least a year, so people need to stop thinking that they can rely on that. Treatments do seem to be improving, but people are still dying or being left with serious after-effects.

Flygirl Tue 25-Aug-20 00:30:43

Reporting has been dreadful. Very one sided and keeping the fear factor going. Probably because they are pushing the vaccine agenda as the only way out. Bill Gates has not only funded the WHO and vaccine development, but has also put his hand in his pocket to fund the BBC too. Call me Mrs Cynical.

Franbern Tue 25-Aug-20 10:29:37

It is easy to find local information. It is on the BBC pages, you just type in your post code and it tells you how many new cases, how many cases in total, etc.
In North Somerset, there are now 2 in every 100,000 people with this virus. Four new cases in the last week. No change from previous week.
Now, should I be frightened with those sort of figures, enough to keep me locked up in my home for the foreseeable future??
Surely, when I take my car for its weekly ride three miles to the local supermarket I am, statistically, in far greater danger.

At nearly 80yrs old, I have lived through the epidemic of killer Diptheria in my childhood, the horrific consequences of Polio in my teens, Asian Flu, in my twenties, and various other things over the years.Things like norovirus, etc most years - increasingly dangerous to me as I age - and have a rather defuctional digestive system.

When this first started and the government were forced to stop pretending it was not happening, they used Behavourists to advice them how to get compliance with lockdown rules. So, the Project Fear came about -and everyone was astonished as to how successful it was. Yes, we - the public - were terrified into obeying all the rules!!!
Problem was when they tried to start lifting some of those, large numbers of the population were still totally traumatised and living in fear.
I am horrified as to hearing parents talking about keeping their children out of school when they finally return. The damage to children being out of school can be life-long - and I do not mean educationally. Are these youngsters being taught to be ever-fearful of germs, of other people coming anywhere close to them - of enclosed spaces - of breathing!!!????

I think the whole reporting has been totally mishandled - The media went along with Project Fear for a time, until the Cummings incident. Since then, many of the so-called 'news'papers have just wanted sensational stories with clever, photos using special lenses- showing (often quite false), pictures of holiday makers daring to go to beaches, etc.

Even the Shielding mallarky was totally mishandled. Again, a letter sent which was designed to strike total fear into the recipients. But, those who needed this changed almost week to week, with some being added very late, and others being told they no longer need to do so. Then on one particular date - no shielding was needed by anyone.