Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

A holiday in Spain felt safer than shopping in Asda in the UK

(54 Posts)
nanasam Sun 23-Aug-20 11:58:39

We’ve just returned from a holiday to celebrate our golden anniversary with DD and family. We were concerned that our flights would be cancelled and with all the worrying about Spain getting a second peak it was with a considerable amount of trepidation that we decided to go ahead. It was the best decision.

On arrival at Bristol airport there were very few people around and we passed through to the gate in minutes. The flight left early as there were only 38 passengers so there was no problem with social distancing. On arrival at Malaga it was a slick operation and easy to get through the formalities.

When we arrived at our chosen place the apartment had been deep cleaned and there were masks and sanitizer left for us. The whole 2 weeks we were there every single person we saw was wearing a mask.

When we went into restaurants we had to wait to be seated and were instructed to sanitize our hands whilst waiting. All of the staff wore masks all the time, even the chefs in the kitchens (which must have been so hot as it was over 30 every day). The menus were either accessible by QR code or on paper menus which were used as Disposable table mats. As soon as we left the tables the waiters were immediately on duty cleaning the table and chairs.

I can honestly say that the only time I felt just a tiny bit anxious was when there was a bottleneck on a very narrow corner of the town.

Coming home, there were only 28 passengers so we felt like it was a private flight!

The town where we stayed have had only 11 cases of Covid and no deaths - we would have felt differently had we been going to the north of Spain but the Costa Del Sol seem to have avoided any bad outbreaks.

Most importantly, the businesses were really pleased to see UK tourists and made a real fuss of us. Evidently, the Spanish are also having staycations but unlike the Brits spending on great food, they order one plate of food and 2 cokes and share it amongst 4 and stay for the evening.

So, if anyone has a holiday booked I’d say do your homework re the number of Covid cases and if the number is low then just go for it - I know I’m going to feel very vulnerable when I go shopping in Asda and wish I was back in Nerja!

Maggiemaybe Mon 24-Aug-20 14:25:50

smile

Ellianne Mon 24-Aug-20 14:17:34

I think Peardrop was green with envy, but in a good way! envy

Maggiemaybe Mon 24-Aug-20 14:01:23

Maggiemaybe The green eyed monster has a way of rearing its ugly head when the subject of holidays/acquisitions/ property abroad etc etc is mentioned.

But I see no sign of it on here, do you? Do you have any particular posts in mind?

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 24-Aug-20 13:39:20

Ellianne

I have nothing against nanasam enjoying her holiday in Spain.
What does become a bit annoying, however, is the number of posters telling us how much safer they felt in another country. There are different rules in different countries, it isn't helpful to make comparisons.

Agree. It was also, as you said, the wording of the title.

I'm glad she enjoyed her holiday and she now knows she should be in total isolation.

In my post I wanted to make the point that the circumstances /situations nanasam refers to in area of Spain she went to, are also like that in many parts of the UK.

I have gone out more and more over the past month (shopping, walking and eating out) and feel just as safe as nanasam felt in Spain.

MerylStreep Mon 24-Aug-20 13:15:10

Maggiemaybe The green eyed monster has a way of rearing its ugly head when the subject of holidays/acquisitions/ property abroad etc etc is mentioned.

nanasam
Lucky you in lovely Nerja. We have camped ( in the motohome) many times near there.

trisher Mon 24-Aug-20 12:12:16

Regarding the 14 days isolation in Singapore where a friend has family you have to stay in a hotel/hostel for the 14 days and you pay for it!

GillT57 Mon 24-Aug-20 11:59:49

Good post Maddyone.

Maggiemaybe Sun 23-Aug-20 23:17:55

From Friday’s Financial Times:

Figures published by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, an EU agency, on Friday indicated that in the previous 14 days Spain had reported about 145 new Covid-19 cases per 100,000 of population. Apart from Malta, no other European country had a ratio above 100, and the Spanish figures compare with ratios of 51 in France and 21 in the UK.

It seems unfair that people who point out that Spain has a serious problem, no matter how safe an individual tourist may feel there, should be shut down by accusations of jealousy.

B9exchange Sun 23-Aug-20 22:39:03

So glad you had a wonderful 50th celebration, you did your research and were absolutely right to go as you were happy with the arrangements. We are watching the situation in Croatia as we have a holiday booked there next month. It is to an isolated spot and I am sure we will feel safe. The flight will only have 20 or so people on it, and with masks and sanitiser I think we will be fine. So unless the figures in that area rocket, I think we will still go, and quarantine on return unless they have brought in testing, which they may well have done by then. Insurance firms are adding in cover for travel to countries where the foreign office has advised against all but essential travel, and the premiums are extremely reasonable. So if the insurance companies don't think there is much of an extra risk, that is reassuring!

Ellianne Sun 23-Aug-20 22:36:04

Yes Peardrop, the Nerja observation was totally fair, I was just suggesting the Asda bit could have been left out.
eg. A holiday in Spain felt very safe full stop.

Peardrop50 Sun 23-Aug-20 22:26:09

Ellianne I take your point about the title. I had to go in to Bangor last week to have the car serviced. Went for a walk while waiting, the pier was packed, no masks, no social distancing. I turned tail and walked towards the High Street, busy as ever, could count mask wearers on one hand so had I been in Nerja I might have made the same comparison.
However, after reading lots of gransnetters experiences over the last few months, I know there are good and bad places in most countries, ours included.

Peardrop50 Sun 23-Aug-20 22:18:57

Glad you enjoyed a lovely holiday nanasam. I am green with envy, in a good way.
Now you can sit back and enjoy quarantine, time to get unpacked, do the washing, tidy the garden, have a glass of duty free something and breathe.

Ellianne Sun 23-Aug-20 22:16:59

It might be that the title of the thread got people's backs up.

Ellianne Sun 23-Aug-20 22:11:32

I have nothing against nanasam enjoying her holiday in Spain.
What does become a bit annoying, however, is the number of posters telling us how much safer they felt in another country. There are different rules in different countries, it isn't helpful to make comparisons.

Newquay Sun 23-Aug-20 22:07:21

We’ve just come back from Menorca. Not a decision we took lightly. We, too, had insurance with Battleface. Wore masks on plane used in Intensive Care. Taxi, airport, plane, two restaurants we used-all excellent. Felt v safe. Staying home now for 14 days.

tidyskatemum Sun 23-Aug-20 21:54:44

For heaven’s sake - Nanasam was obviously in a safer position in her destination in Spain than if she’d gone to some parts of England yet some of you are getting your knickers in a twist about “following the rules” no matter how rubbish the rules are. Has everyone lost their common sense? I know what I’d rely on when faced with some of the ridiculous decisions this inept government continues to make.

trisher Sun 23-Aug-20 21:51:27

I don't think anyone is jealous of the holiday however when you post that you are not looking forward to going to Asda it might be assumed that you don't know or don't intend to follow the isolation rules.
I also don't think anyone said she had done anything illegal. But before deciding to go on holiday people do need to be aware of the restrictions when you return

Iam64 Sun 23-Aug-20 21:35:01

Welcome back nanasam. I agree with Maddyone's post about peopleactijg illegally and nanasam isn't doing anything wrong.

I fear people are becoming irritable and rather quick to judge others. There are a lot of critical comments questioning the wisdom/sense of anyone who takes the risks involved in going to other European countries in the current climate. The people I know who have travelled to Spain recently all say the same. That travel arrangements went smoothly and felt safe, that the authorities in Spain are enforcing covid regulations and the population are following them.
Great way to celebrate nanasam.

Chewbacca Sun 23-Aug-20 21:24:38

Good post maddyone; it's come across in some posts that there's been a bit of envy regarding nanasam's successful holiday. Sounds to me like she had a lovely holiday and will do all that's required regarding self isolation. And that's fine.

lemongrove Sun 23-Aug-20 21:10:30

Good post maddy??

maddyone Sun 23-Aug-20 20:09:12

We’ve done lockdown, it was better late than never, but now we have to get back to some kind of normal, otherwise our economy will collapse (even more) and even more people will become seriously clinically depressed. I saw in the news last week, a beautiful young girl of seventeen had taken her own life because she felt she had lost her life, the life she had prior to lockdown, and she became seriously depressed.
I’m no stranger to clinical depression and I know this is a real problem, not just feeling a bit low, but seriously clinically depressed.
Some older people feel safer staying at home where they feel safe, and that’s fine, but the choices of others who try to balance risks by being careful, should not be derided. Nanasam has taken all precautions, she has been told she must not walk her dog and she has said she will not, and is happy to stay at home for two weeks. There’s nothing else to be said. When people balance the risks to themselves and others, take every possible precaution, but choose to do perfectly legal things, then it is not up to others to deride them.
Riots and marches in the last few weeks were illegal. Journalists congregating outside houses were acting illegally. Dominic Cummings and a fair few others who drove long distances when we were told to drive no more than ten minutes from our homes, they were acting illegally, especially since we were supposed to sleep in our primary residence. People gathering in huge groups (more than 30 at the present time) are acting illegally. The one hundred guests at a wedding celebrating at an Indian restaurant recently were acting illegally.
Give nanasam a break, she’s done nothing illegal and is complying with the regulations required for quarantine.

nanasam Sun 23-Aug-20 19:58:37

Espee EasyJet have a video showing the lengths they go to to ensure the safety of passengers. They have improved the air filtration system to match those in hospitals. This was the big factor with us when deciding to fly.

Esspee Sun 23-Aug-20 19:53:47

My worry about flying is to do with the circulating air. Has there been any research published regarding the spread of Covid19 through aircraft air conditioning?

GillT57 Sun 23-Aug-20 19:42:16

Glad you had a lovely holiday nanasam, it sounds as if it was all very safe and well organised, and the flights sound delightful! There are a few being a bit po faced about your trip, just ignore them, do your quarantine and plan your next trip to lovely Spain.

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 23-Aug-20 19:38:22

Pleased you had a lovely time and that you felt safe there. I missed my holiday earlier this year to celebrate my 70th. All rebooked for April 2021

I should imagine the flight was so empty because many had cancelled due to have to isolating upon return.

I suppose it depends on the supermarkets you visit. I go to all three in my local town (ASDA, MORRISONS and SAINSBURY'S) and feel very safe in all three) with all doing as you saw in Spain,

There are also areas in my County where there have been low numbers of Covid cases and no deaths.

My daughter visited me the other weekend and we went and sat outside a pub in Falmouth where they did exactly the same as the ones you went to, even down to a one way system for the toilet.
Another day we did part of the coastal walk and on narrow places there were no bottlenecks as others waited back until those coming the other way passed.