Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

A holiday in Spain felt safer than shopping in Asda in the UK

(53 Posts)
nanasam Sun 23-Aug-20 11:58:39

We’ve just returned from a holiday to celebrate our golden anniversary with DD and family. We were concerned that our flights would be cancelled and with all the worrying about Spain getting a second peak it was with a considerable amount of trepidation that we decided to go ahead. It was the best decision.

On arrival at Bristol airport there were very few people around and we passed through to the gate in minutes. The flight left early as there were only 38 passengers so there was no problem with social distancing. On arrival at Malaga it was a slick operation and easy to get through the formalities.

When we arrived at our chosen place the apartment had been deep cleaned and there were masks and sanitizer left for us. The whole 2 weeks we were there every single person we saw was wearing a mask.

When we went into restaurants we had to wait to be seated and were instructed to sanitize our hands whilst waiting. All of the staff wore masks all the time, even the chefs in the kitchens (which must have been so hot as it was over 30 every day). The menus were either accessible by QR code or on paper menus which were used as Disposable table mats. As soon as we left the tables the waiters were immediately on duty cleaning the table and chairs.

I can honestly say that the only time I felt just a tiny bit anxious was when there was a bottleneck on a very narrow corner of the town.

Coming home, there were only 28 passengers so we felt like it was a private flight!

The town where we stayed have had only 11 cases of Covid and no deaths - we would have felt differently had we been going to the north of Spain but the Costa Del Sol seem to have avoided any bad outbreaks.

Most importantly, the businesses were really pleased to see UK tourists and made a real fuss of us. Evidently, the Spanish are also having staycations but unlike the Brits spending on great food, they order one plate of food and 2 cokes and share it amongst 4 and stay for the evening.

So, if anyone has a holiday booked I’d say do your homework re the number of Covid cases and if the number is low then just go for it - I know I’m going to feel very vulnerable when I go shopping in Asda and wish I was back in Nerja!

trisher Sun 23-Aug-20 12:04:33

Hope you won't be going anywhere for the next 14 days nanasam you should be self isolating. Could I ask how you managed travel insurance for Spain I hear it is virtually impossible or costs the eart?.

maddyone Sun 23-Aug-20 12:07:28

Thank you for sharing with us nanasam and I’m very pleased to hear you had a happy and safe holiday. Congratulations on your Golden Anniversary.
I think if people decide to travel, either here in the UK or abroad, each person has to consider the risks in their particular destination, and their own personal risk ie age, gender, underlying health conditions. Then if they decide to travel, take care and enjoy.

maddyone Sun 23-Aug-20 12:09:36

Good points trisher. Obviously nanasam should be in quarantine now, and so no trips to Asda for a couple of weeks.
The insurance is an interesting question. What are people doing about travel insurance?

Oopsadaisy4 Sun 23-Aug-20 12:14:50

We must hope that none of the 28 passengers on the flights don’t test positive whilst they are isolating.
Nansam what would you have done if there had been 400 people on your flight? Would you have felt so comfortable?

I’m pleased though that you had a good time.

Let’s hope all holiday makers in Spain are as lucky.

TerriBull Sun 23-Aug-20 13:14:01

Glad you had a good time.

I can't comment on Asda, but I know when I do early morning food shops in Sainsburys or Marks, with deliveries in between, I feel quite safe, I guess you have to pick your times, it's always quiet when I go.

38 going and 28 coming back on your respective flights, wow! that sounds great, I almost regret cancelling our September flights now, thinking would we have been likely to be that lucky. For me it was always going to be about the palaver gathered together with many at the airport, coupled with the possible close proximity to others on board. All that, and when you arrive you still have to eat for how ever long the duration of the holiday is.

Will just keep fingers crossed and live in hopes for next year have now rebooked our flights.

Alegrias Sun 23-Aug-20 13:28:29

Thank you for sharing this nanasam, I'm glad to read that you had a good time. I love Malaga and we're missing our annual visit there this year. We'll enjoy it all the more when we do go back!

nanasam Sun 23-Aug-20 14:35:20

Trisher, yes we'll be isolating, I got a home delivery today so I'm in no rush whatsoever to go out. Maybe just to take the dog round the block, wearing a mask.

We got travel insurance through Battleface, who also insured against Covid so there was no problem with that.

I think the press love the scaremongering.

nanasam Sun 23-Aug-20 14:36:15

Oh, and the insurance for 2 x 70 year olds was £210 for 2 weeks, I didn't think that was too bad.

growstuff Sun 23-Aug-20 14:44:48

Sorry! But you shouldn't be taking your dog out for a walk.

If you do go into quarantine, you should not leave your house. You can exercise your dog in your garden or around your home, but if you are unable to do this then you can ask someone to walk your dog for you, but you do need to take certain precautions.

www.thekennelclub.org.uk/health/for-owners/coronavirus/

trisher Sun 23-Aug-20 14:46:08

Sorry nanasam you are not supposed to walk the dog apart from in your garden. www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk

trisher Sun 23-Aug-20 14:47:12

Snap! growstuff -you were quicker than me. grin

growstuff Sun 23-Aug-20 14:51:43

Quuckdraw McGrow - that's me! grin

growstuff Sun 23-Aug-20 14:52:03

Quickdraw - oops!

nanasam Sun 23-Aug-20 14:58:58

Ah, okay, didn't realise. Walkies round the garden it is, then!

Bathsheba Sun 23-Aug-20 15:12:39

Walkies round the garden it is, then!

Like a teddy bear nanasam? wink

DiscoGran Sun 23-Aug-20 15:29:04

Glad you had a lovely holiday, walkies with a mask should be quite safe.

growstuff Sun 23-Aug-20 15:43:03

DiscoGran

Glad you had a lovely holiday, walkies with a mask should be quite safe.

But against the government's guidelines for those in quarantine. People shouldn't be picking and choosing the guidelines which suit them - and then say they don't feel safe in the community!

AGAA4 Sun 23-Aug-20 16:01:34

It is concerning that people don't understand what quarantine means. How many others are walking dogs or having a quick trip to the shops or not isolating at all?

Urmstongran Sun 23-Aug-20 16:49:49

We too feel quite safe out here on the Costa Del Sol nanasam it’s exactly as you described it. We are however avoiding the more touristy spots for the next six weeks, just visiting bars in the residential area where we are. Avoiding taxis, buses and trains and grateful for the sunshine and walking to what we can do.

Life’s good!

nanasam Sun 23-Aug-20 16:53:56

growstuff and AGAA4 I am not "picking and choosing the guidelines which suit them". Your comment is unfair. Please don't label me this way. I will abide by all laws that are laid down. I picked up on the dog walking comment and will not be going out, but where did you get the idea I'd be having a "quick trip to the shops" or "not isolating at all?????

sodapop Sun 23-Aug-20 16:57:13

Exactly Growstuff

I must admit to feeling really ambivalent about holidays. I think we need to get back to a semblance of normality and start the economy moving in whichever country we live. I live in a quiet rural area of France which has not had a lot of infection. We need tourists but when I see them coming from Paris etc I do feel a bit resentful, in the same way I do when people on GN say they are going to a rural area of Italy or France. Wish I didn't feel so mean.

Urmstongran Sun 23-Aug-20 17:01:40

nanasam you’ll find growstuff was replying to discogran but more than likely with a ‘side eyes’ at you.
?

I’m glad you had a wonderful wedding anniversary. Some tales of trips abroad seem to have a better outcome than others. Literally you pays your money & takes your chance this Covid year!

AGAA4 Sun 23-Aug-20 17:34:42

Nanasam. I am sorry that you felt my comments were aimed at you. They were not. I was making a general observation.

I am glad you had a lovely time in Spain.

lemongrove Sun 23-Aug-20 17:35:06

Glad that you had a lovely Golden Wedding Anniversary trip
nanasam it sounds to have been very well thought out, and we love Nerja too.Glad you didn’t have to cancel in the end and are no doubt even more tanned than you usually are! I am decidedly pale.☹️