Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Eat out to help out

(126 Posts)
Esspee Mon 24-Aug-20 07:07:35

We have been using the government subsidy of 50% off to help keep some lovely local restaurants in business this month.
With only one exception we have had great experiences and feel much more “upbeat” as a result of forcing ourselves back into normality. We have treated the three days a week treat as a little holiday and feel all the better for it.

At the beginning of the month there was no difficulty getting reservations but we can’t find any favourite restaurants with tables available for tomorrow so I reckon it has been a success.

The offer is still running Monday, Tuesday Wednesday this week and Monday next week. Why not treat yourselves, if bookings are still available in your area?

NannyDaft Mon 24-Aug-20 09:50:53

We are in a very stressful time and need little incentives like this ! I so wish people would just enjoy things when they can and relax a little sensibly and stop moaning all the time !

Juicylucy Mon 24-Aug-20 09:56:41

Esspee I’m with you on this, I don’t care who votes for what. Your post was positive and uplifting. Myself and my family have made the most of the scheme on offer having lovely cream teas and curries and steaks. We appreciate what’s been offered to us and in return all our eateries have been fully booked every Mon,Tues Weds so I’d say it’s been a runaway success. The families that usually struggle to eat out have made the most of it and been joining in to and enjoying it to.

Flossieflyby Mon 24-Aug-20 10:01:07

The scheme has nudged me into eating out again and have had great experiences - think the aim was to get us eating out and spending again beyond August - yes it has been a success and hope the businesses benefit well past the end of the scheme.

cookiemonster66 Mon 24-Aug-20 10:03:18

We have booked restaurants that would normally be beyond our budget, places we have always wanted to go but could not afford, so it has been a real treat for us!

Carolpaint Mon 24-Aug-20 10:10:42

Well I did and it was scrumptious, we are all part of saving jobs, it was also fun. Perhaps we ought to call this Curmudgeon net? No I am not a Tory, neither am I developing agoraphobia which I think may start to cost the NHS money from the amount of anxiety and vitriolic comments about decisions posted on this site.

sandye Mon 24-Aug-20 10:12:14

It's been great, I have loved going out and getting back to normal. Out wed this week with friends.

jenpax Mon 24-Aug-20 10:15:47

Pre lock down I was a coffee shop habitue and have enjoyed the 50% reduction since the scheme was brought in.
I do agree that the issue of food poverty is huge though.

Beauregard Mon 24-Aug-20 10:22:14

We've already been to several pubs, cafes & restaurants for this offer and have been well looked after and kept safe each time.

We have three more left to do and are looking forward to them with total confidence.

I had no qualms about going out anyway, and we did so a few times in July, but if it helps give other people the confidence to go out again and to see for themselves that it is ok, then it can only be a good thing.

Metra Mon 24-Aug-20 10:28:46

We went for lunch to a local pub/restaurant only to find that their prices have been hiked up to the extent that even with the £10 discount they are almost at their previous level. I'm not sure what I think about this as although I understand how difficult it has been for the hospitality industry..... Unlike my hairdresser who has added a few pounds for PPE staff did not even wear masks.

harrigran Mon 24-Aug-20 10:42:00

I have not eaten in a restaurant, I do not trust waiting staff to follow the same rigid hygiene rules that we do at home.
We order gourmet food online and pay full price, and some, for it so feel we are still supporting the hospitality industry.

Marieeliz Mon 24-Aug-20 10:52:07

Get the feeling that you are not allowed to comment on this site if you are a naughty Tory. Some if us are you know. That is how we have a Tory government. But the left don't like anyone with an an opposing opinion. It is thankfully still a free country. I'll put my tin hat on.

Corkie91 Mon 24-Aug-20 10:54:26

I've used it several times to date I think its a great idea to get people out and support the local community. So many places have closed for good. Lost our local cinema, swimming pool and library which are not reopening.

Noreen3 Mon 24-Aug-20 10:56:14

I've definitely been eating out more while this has been on,just in the daytime,supermarket cafes etc,it's so cheap it's not worth cooking at home.

growstuff Mon 24-Aug-20 10:57:25

Marieeliz

Get the feeling that you are not allowed to comment on this site if you are a naughty Tory. Some if us are you know. That is how we have a Tory government. But the left don't like anyone with an an opposing opinion. It is thankfully still a free country. I'll put my tin hat on.

That's just a sign of a victim complex.

Pippet Mon 24-Aug-20 11:00:02

Lovely to read and we have been doing the same. Trying to be positive and enjoying the treat and finding people In pubs and restaurants have been Extra lovely and kind. Watching the young people getting back to their part time jobs and smiling has been a tonic in itself. Mostly very positive experiences locally And I can see how hard the local eateries are trying. Trying every way to be safe and put one foot forward at a time xx

Madwoman11 Mon 24-Aug-20 11:06:01

Espee thanks for a very encouraging post. I too have been out for meals and agrre generally it is very safe, and does you the world of good.
Just ignore the rude remarks, and carry on posting for the lovely members who will appreciate such ?

Calendargirl Mon 24-Aug-20 11:10:16

Good to see a positive post Esspee instead of all the usual moans and negativity.
I haven’t used the scheme as we rarely eat out, but my family have, and it has certainly seemed to be of benefit to local eateries, which is what it was designed for.
Several places hope it carries on into the autumn when business slackens off.

lemongrove Mon 24-Aug-20 11:10:36

No growstuff it isn’t a sign of victim complex or any complex at all, it’s simply the truth of how things are on GN.
There aren’t more left wing posters I expect, (it’s a pretty even spread of political views) ....but they are more vociferous.
Marieeliz your comment ‘that is how we have a Tory government’ made me smile.?

Kate1949 Mon 24-Aug-20 11:12:04

We've taken advantage of this a few times and will be doing so again today. We haven't been to restaurants, just pubs. It's been great. So cheap. We sometimes go to Wetherspoons which is cheap anyway. They are practically giving meals away on this scheme.

lemongrove Mon 24-Aug-20 11:13:23

If people don’t want to use the eat out days, then as others say, it will be quieter on Thu or Fri, so a win win situation.

jenpax Mon 24-Aug-20 11:14:00

I am in no way a Tory ? but even I think the scheme has helped the hospitality industry

vegansrock Mon 24-Aug-20 11:18:26

Well it’s only got a few days to go and we’ll see what the long term benefits are in September. I’m not a curmudgeon and I don’t mind having a few pounds off a meal at anytime, just wondered if it will be effective. We went to a sushi restaurant with the GC, you order off an app on your phone and the food comes round on a conveyor belt and stops at your table. The GC loved it. Would recommend.

EllanVannin Mon 24-Aug-20 11:24:44

What are these places serving up ? Stuff that was abandoned when the lockdown first came into force ? They obviously can't buy-in on a whim so it must have been stored. ?

Because I'm a fuss-pot about food outside of my own home I couldn't/wouldn't go for this scheme, it's about preserving my insides and not the money I'd save.

I won't keep chicken in the fridge beyond two days, so not a candidate for eating out. I'm more than happy not doing what others do grin

Riverwalk Mon 24-Aug-20 11:32:01

What are these places serving up ? Stuff that was abandoned when the lockdown first came into force ? They obviously can't buy-in on a whim so it must have been stored. ?

confused

maddyone Mon 24-Aug-20 11:40:31

We’ve eaten out twice now under this scheme, and I felt safe both times. This week I’m intending to take my 92 year old mother when we go. I asked her, and she wants to go, so that’s what we’ll do.
It’s obviously a calculated risk. We went to this restaurant last week and there was hand sanitiser at the door, and we were asked to fill in a little form with contact details just in case.
I should add there’s a very low incidence of infection in the area we live in, at the moment. It will do Mum good to get out.