Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Eat out to help out

(126 Posts)
Esspee Mon 24-Aug-20 07:07:35

We have been using the government subsidy of 50% off to help keep some lovely local restaurants in business this month.
With only one exception we have had great experiences and feel much more “upbeat” as a result of forcing ourselves back into normality. We have treated the three days a week treat as a little holiday and feel all the better for it.

At the beginning of the month there was no difficulty getting reservations but we can’t find any favourite restaurants with tables available for tomorrow so I reckon it has been a success.

The offer is still running Monday, Tuesday Wednesday this week and Monday next week. Why not treat yourselves, if bookings are still available in your area?

hulahoop Mon 24-Aug-20 16:27:45

We have eaten out twice using the scheme felt very safe both times have given generous tip both times went where we are out prior to covid lords of fresh veg yummy ?

Callistemon Mon 24-Aug-20 16:30:26

Thanks Esspee, for reminding me about it.
We've been out once but must try to book somewhere again this week, I'd hate to see popular pubs around here close down and people lose their jobs.

If more people lose jobs there will be more people forced into using food banks.

vegansrock Mon 24-Aug-20 17:10:20

I don’t think it’s snobbery to dislike MacDonalds and its global Corporate offerings. There’s plenty of other local places that deserve support. People would eat in MacDonalds anyway - they don’t need any extra encouragement, the staff would still be in a job as there is always a market for quick cheap fried heavily processed food. I don’t think it’s the best use of taxpayers money to boost the profits of such companies, especially when there is an anti obesity and healthy eating campaign.

gillybob Mon 24-Aug-20 17:17:14

If we are to only promote healthy eating through the "eat out" scheme vegansrock then maybe we need to cross Indian Curry restaurants, Fish and Chips (infact all chips in any restaurant), creamy pasta's, all deserts, cheeseboards and too many other things to mention.

We have to remember also that McDonalds employ a lot of young people all who pay their share of NI and income tax.

Riverwalk Mon 24-Aug-20 17:31:36

It's a short-lived scheme Vegan designed to encourage people to eat and drink out - I imagine it would be too difficult to exclude certain categories. How could they exclude the likes of McDonalds but not pubs that serve burgers?

I wouldn't eat a McDonald's if you paid me but lots of people do. I also loathe Tim Wetherspoon and his nasty pubs but they're popular and his patrons are as entitled to a discount as anyone else.

It's about jobs and the economy.

Maggiemaybe Mon 24-Aug-20 17:38:20

Nothing wrong with MaccieD’s imho (or Nando’s, or fish and chips, or Pizza Hut, or Greggs, or anything else for that matter) as an occasional treat, which is what it is for our DGS. They do a pretty good coffee as well. And provide much-needed clean toilet facilities when you’re out and about and caught short in this country and abroad. smile

icanhandthemback Mon 24-Aug-20 17:41:42

Just for the record, not all MacDonalds restaurants have joined the scheme so they are not getting any advantage whatsoever. We have deliberately targeted a more expensive venue which we wouldn't normally be able to afford because with fewer pennies, these are the restaurants which will likely topple in a recession. They are local businesses (not chains) which would be a shame to lose as they do bring people into the area because of their outstanding reputations.
Most small businesses seem to be run for very little profit, for an awful lot of work using up a lot of savings before their entrepreneurs cut and run. They definitely need the help. Whilst chains might have more stability, the admin to determine who qualified for the Eat out to help out scheme would have been more than just letting every business qualify.

vegansrock Mon 24-Aug-20 17:43:02

But do you really believe a huge corporation like MacDs wouldn’t employ its staff without this scheme? My point is, people would still go there without this scheme, I agree it would be difficult to exclude it and the likes of Nando’s etc., but I would prefer the money went to independent eateries, yes even take away fish n chippies, who genuinely find it difficult to pay staff . I don’t believe it’s snobbish to say this. Anyway, we will see if in the long term it makes any difference.

SueDonim Mon 24-Aug-20 18:53:29

I’d hardly compare fish & chips with Macdonald’s, price wise. You can’t get a fish supper here for under £9, whereas you can eat at MacD’s for a lot less than that. It wouldn’t be my first pick, but then I have the luxury of being able to choose without too much regard to cost. If a MacD’s is a treat for a family, good for them, I hope they enjoy it.

vegansrock Mon 24-Aug-20 19:31:28

Maybe fish n chips are £9 because that’s what it costs . MacD burger and chips and wallpaper paste milk shake £5? You have to wonder about the ingredients and how much they pay the staff.

grabba Mon 24-Aug-20 20:14:31

couldn't agree more devonnanny

Aepgirl Mon 24-Aug-20 20:44:19

Fantastic for small, privately owned restaurants, but why is it allowed in the likes of KFC and McD's? People were queuing to go to these places before the 50% offer, and after all, we, the tax payers, will be paying for these cut-price meals.

NoddingGanGan Mon 24-Aug-20 21:08:04

My daughter works in the hospitality industry. I'm glad you enjoyed your meals out but my daughter's experience of being on the other side of the table has been that the majority of those taking advantage have been rude, entitled and demanding and she can't wait for it to stop. sad

vegansrock Mon 24-Aug-20 21:37:25

Yes heard on the radio of a pub who were trying to opt out of the scheme as the customers were ordering all the really expensive options which take a lot longer to prepare, turning up late or not leaving when their sitting time was up and basically taking the p***.

ExD Mon 24-Aug-20 21:44:50

Nice suggestion Jane10, I was pointing out that there are some of us who cannot afford to eat out, even with a 50% reduction, and I did point out that I have grasped the fact that it was to help the industry, not me.
What about my poor chiropodist? (joke smile) can he be given a hand out to get his industry going again? (that is meant to make you smile, not reach for your gun).
Seriously, you need to have money to spare to eat out. Even though I don't drink or smoke, paying for housing and food doesn't leave any spare cash from the State pension, for restaurant meals. I own my house and am not eligible for pension credit.

But I'm pleased you are all enjoying yourselves and the catering trade is benefiting. I'm only jealous sad)

ajswan Mon 24-Aug-20 21:45:24

devonnanny, Oh please. I believe that a lot of people using food banks don't need to. The ones with huge tvs and cars and mobiles. How miserable to begrudge people who have been isolated in lock-down etc the chance to go out for a meal. I am sure many people who use food banks order take aways etc. thousands of people in the hospitality industry would lose their jobs without this scheme. Well done Rishi and Boris for coming up with this. BTW are you retired , so the job losses would not affect you.

SueDonim Mon 24-Aug-20 21:49:29

Indeed, Vegansrock ingredients may be of differing quality. However, it’s not up to you, or me, to sit in judgement on what decisions other people make. If you’ve only £5 to spend, then the f&c is obviously not an option.

To those speaking of rude customers, that’s awful. sad I haven’t seen anything like that, people seem to be behaving very sedately round here and in fact quite chilled out about things.

Maggiemaybe Mon 24-Aug-20 22:10:32

If anyone’s genuinely interested in McDonald’s ingredients, suppliers and staff working conditions, wonder no more. The information’s not hard to find, it’s on their website.

gillybob Mon 24-Aug-20 22:14:06

The eating out snobbery is so apparent.

No to a struggling family who take their children out for a rare burger treat , but yes to posh nosh in an over priced eatery .

Whatever.

maddyone Mon 24-Aug-20 22:38:01

It’s very disappointing to hear about rude customers,, whether they’re taking advantage of the Eat Out to Help Out scheme or not. There is no need for rudeness from anyone, and I can assure those who have witnessed rudeness that it was not me, nor do I imagine it was any Gransnetter. Sadly rudeness and antisocial behaviour is a common facet of today’s society. I wonder what we’ve done wrong that has caused so many people to behave so badly? I suppose that could be a whole new thread.

JenniferEccles Mon 24-Aug-20 23:09:23

Why shouldn’t a hard up family take advantage of this scheme for a rare McDonalds meal?
They probably enjoy and appreciate the opportunity far more than those going to high end restaurants simply because it’s such a rare happening.

I don’t like Mc.D food and never go there but I don’t begrudge others who would struggle to afford somewhere better.

vegansrock Tue 25-Aug-20 05:47:38

It’s not all “hard up families” eating in MacDonalds though is it? Isn’t it snobbery to think that? And MacDonalds are not a hard up company either. That’s why I don’t think the taxpayer should be supporting them . It’s not snobbery about the low quality food offering. I’d prefer the subsidy to go to a genuine independent local cafe or Takeaway.

growstuff Tue 25-Aug-20 08:35:14

JenniferEccles

Why shouldn’t a hard up family take advantage of this scheme for a rare McDonalds meal?
They probably enjoy and appreciate the opportunity far more than those going to high end restaurants simply because it’s such a rare happening.

I don’t like Mc.D food and never go there but I don’t begrudge others who would struggle to afford somewhere better.

That must be one of the most patronising posts I have ever read on GN!

gillybob Tue 25-Aug-20 08:51:52

That must be one of the most patronising posts I have ever read on GN!

You've got to be joking Growstuff Really ?

Believe it or not to some families, a trip to McDonalds is a very rare treat. Why shouldn't they take advantage of their bill being considerably reduced the same as anyone eating in a "Gastro pub" ? hmm

MissAdventure Tue 25-Aug-20 09:03:59

Information online seems to suggest that Macdonalds is no worse than calorie laden high end food.