Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Anyone experienced a hotel post lock down?

(81 Posts)
Americanpie Mon 24-Aug-20 09:47:45

I have been reading reports that hotels are not making up rooms and changing towels etc and that some guests have been asked to remove their own bedding at the end of the stay and place it in a black bag. Is this true please? I was thinking of booking a few days away and would like to know what to expect.

NotSpaghetti Thu 15-Jul-21 18:36:08

This us an old thread but for what it's worth, I stayed in a hotel at the weekend. There were lots of "services" unavailable and it seemed pretty basic for the £££ paid.

There were, however, the usual signs/ masks/ distancing and table service.
Expect it will all be very different next week.

Mollygo Thu 15-Jul-21 16:53:21

We stayed in one Macdonald hotel and 1 Holiday Inn over school half term so we could see our families.
Plenty of sanitisers, reminders about spacing, etc. Rooms were clean on arrival but no change during stay unless requested.
Breakfast arrangements-seating spaced out and designated in both hotels. Table service in the Macdonalds, (usually a buffet except for drinks). Hot food queued for then collected from masked and screened servers in the Holiday Inn, drinks self service, though any queues were managed by staff. We always went down early so no problem.
I’d go for it.
We’ve booked to stay in Uni residences next month. No idea how that will turn out.

Aveline Thu 15-Jul-21 16:34:34

Have stayed in 3 hotels over the past month. All seemed v Covid aware and sensible.

Lillie Thu 15-Jul-21 16:29:37

we are staying at a hotel for a wedding this weekend.
fingers crossed it will be ok.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 15-Jul-21 15:57:59

We stayed in Dorset last week, room serviced each morning and turndown service each evening.

Felt safe in restaurant, bar and outside areas.

Sago Thu 15-Jul-21 15:44:11

We have stAyed in an hotel recently, the room was not serviced, which is fine, we were not asked to remove bed linen.
I think a lack of available staff is as much of an issue as COVID.

Norah Thu 15-Jul-21 15:39:38

Gillybob!!!!! Hello!!!!!!! smile

Amberone Thu 15-Jul-21 15:31:54

We stayed twice in a Premier Inn in South Wales as soon as lock down in Wales and England coincided and everything was pretty normal, apart from needing to wear masks while walking around. Couldn't get meals as they were all booked up, but as it's a favourite pub for locals at the weekend that's pretty much par for the course.

DillytheGardener Thu 15-Jul-21 15:28:05

Stayed in a hotel last week, nothing different from my normal check in check out other than myself and the staff wearing masks in the common areas. I have not been staying in air bnb’s during the pandemic as I’ve found they are using Covid to over charge then skimp on anything that makes a stay pleasant.

Lucca Thu 15-Jul-21 15:26:19

This is a thread from 2020!

aonk Thu 15-Jul-21 15:16:37

We have stayed in several hotels. They weren’t part of any chain. In each case the website explained their Covid precautions. You can also call them and ask. We found that in general rooms are not cleaned everyday although you can ask for fresh towels, toiletries etc. There are no buffets and no ordering at the bar, only table service. We experienced no problems and enjoyed all our stays.

Tatko Wed 14-Jul-21 20:20:13

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Floradora9 Sat 29-Aug-20 17:40:10

It is so difficult to book anything . We just want a couple of nights in a lovely hotel with equally lovely food but everywhere we want is full .

Jane10 Sat 29-Aug-20 15:28:58

We were asked if we'd like our room serviced each day. Our choice. Seemed fair.
I miss a breakfast buffer but the menu covered most things we'd have wanted. Only problem seemed to be Co ordinating service but that's just a problem at our hotel. I'm sure it's better elsewhere.

kittylester Sat 29-Aug-20 15:25:53

We have tried our 3 favourite hotels and can't book for our Wedding Anniversary weekend at any of them. Think it will be fish and chips and a bottle of bubbly in front of the telly.

Beauregard Sat 29-Aug-20 15:19:36

Anyone been to Jury's Inn or Holiday Inn?

Just wondering what they do differently at breakfast and dinner?

At breakfast I usually like to wander round and try a few different things (fresh fruit salad, small fried breakfast, Croissant or Danish pastry). I know I won't be able to do this, but wondered if I will still get much choice.

Janpt Sat 29-Aug-20 14:48:44

Americanpie

I have been reading reports that hotels are not making up rooms and changing towels etc and that some guests have been asked to remove their own bedding at the end of the stay and place it in a black bag. Is this true please? I was thinking of booking a few days away and would like to know what to expect.

We stayed for 5 nights at a hotel in North Norfolk and were told that the rooms would not be serviced. That didn't bother us for such a short stay. There were only 5 rooms occupied out of 42 and all rooms opened directly outside so it was fine.

Jane10 Sat 29-Aug-20 13:57:48

We've heard that a lot kittylester. The hotel we're in now seems very full and so many people are saying they can't get in anywhere in UK. Good news for the hotel industry anyway. I think lots of people are just desperate for a change of scene.
The hotel Covid precautions seem very stringent and its an odd atmosphere.

kittylester Sat 29-Aug-20 12:25:32

Well, it seems lots of people are experiencing hotels currently.

DH has just tried to book our usual room in our favourite hotel for 3 weeks hence and been told that they are extremely busy and had very little space at all in October!!

Franbern Thu 27-Aug-20 15:11:05

One of my daughters and her two primary school aged girls stayed at a small private hotel in WsM a few weeks back. No problems at all. When they first arrived, their temperatures were taken before they were permitted actually to enter the building. Lots of hand sanitiser around, and a request that only one family at the time to use the lift. They stayed two nights, breakfast was table service only.
On their way down here, they had stayed on night at a hotel in Reading. Selected this deliberately as it had a pool, but when they booked in were told that the pool was closed.

Abracadabra Wed 26-Aug-20 00:19:50

rozina
I’ve stayed in Premier Inns all over the country and Southend-on-Sea is my absolute favourite!

TwinLolly Tue 25-Aug-20 21:31:14

Hubby and I stayed two nights in the UK, when we were back over briefly, and stayed in different B&B's: one in Wales and another closer to Cambridge. The rooms were very cosy, clean and we felt safe. However these B&B's were in very rural areas, amongst farmland so we felt better for it.

rozina Tue 25-Aug-20 19:08:27

I stayed for 9 nights at one Premier Inn and another 5 nights at another Premier Inn down the road, this is at Southend on Sea. I chose this place as I've often used them before I fly out and found them to be scrupulously clean and love the beds. This time I was told no-one was allowed to enter the bedroom and unless I requested a room clean the night before then I wouldn't get one. Even then they wouldn't enter my room until I had left the room. However there were clean towels and sheets and replenishments of tea, coffee and milk whenever I needed them. There was social distancing and cleaning of tables etc. in the restaurant. I was very comfortable as I always have been with Premier Inns.

Jane10 Tue 25-Aug-20 19:07:38

Amazing coincidence. DH just came home and said we're off for a mini break this weekend. It's all booked. Lots of Covid policy stuff from the hotel. Your posts have reassured me. I'm quite excited about a change of scene!

NotSpaghetti Tue 25-Aug-20 17:21:04

I just wish the Premiere Inn wasn’t so full.
I know it’s hard but 90% plus capacity is too much in my opinion.

And I’d still want to know the policy regarding paid leave...
No one seems to be commenting on that?