Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Advice needed on family bubble please

(45 Posts)
Grannynannywanny Wed 26-Aug-20 11:17:12

I live alone and “bubbled”with my son, dil and 2gc 130 miles away and had a lovely visit after no physical contact for 4 months. They were also here with me 2 weeks ago for a visit.

My daughter and family stay 15 miles away and I visit their home with social distancing observed in accordance with guidelines. I don’t expect to see my son and family for another month or so, possibly longer depending on how things go.

So my question is now that I haven’t had physical contact with my son and family for 2 weeks can I change my bubble to my daughter’s house 15 miles away so we don’t need to observe social distancing?

suziewoozie Fri 28-Aug-20 10:29:01

The whole thing about the bubble was based on combatting the loneliness that single person households or the practical problems single parent families may well face. It wasn’t based on ‘science’ but psychological need. That’s why it seems very sensible to do what the OP was suggesting. I agree with Cabbie’s post - even if we can do something, we may not necessarily believe it wise to do it. The situation in France is worrying and grandparents I believe have been told not to pick up their dgc from school.

We are still socially distancing from our dd and her family and I’m not planning on changing that anytime soon. We’ve had lovely outdoor trips altogether and I do wonder about the advent of autumn.

Kamiso Fri 28-Aug-20 00:39:28

NannaGrandad

I think this whole bubble thing is a nonsense. We've been encouraged to go out and eat, the kids are (or soon will be) back in education. Workplaces have been encouraged to open. In each of these settings there's a whole bunch of non family members who may or may not be observing the rules. We are supposed to mix with them but not our families? Crazy.
In answer to your question, you are behaving very responsibly and if you want to change your bubble then go ahead and do it.

Wow NannaGrandad. Do you walk around restaurants and pubs hugging and dropping kisses on the heads of the other diners and staff or do you save your displays of affection for your immediate family and friends?

The restaurants we’ve been to (only three admittedly) have much more space between the tables, the waiting staff stand back from the table and place napkins, cutlery, drinks etc straight down on the edge of the table, keeping their distance, no standing around the bar, only one person to leave the table at a time and customers to walk in designated directions. Quite easy really though a bit weird at first.

The staff have obviously worked hard and undergone training to keep themselves and their customers safe. Biggest problem was finding anywhere that wasn’t fully booked and that was before the vouchers and lower vat came in to play. We both enjoyed the delicious food and having a change of scene.

The staff looked so relieved to be back at work. Their relief was palpable. I managed to resist giving our waiter a hug and a kiss though there didn’t seem to be a specific guideline telling me not to!

Really a case of using common sense and not putting yourself or others at risk.

Theoddbird Thu 27-Aug-20 23:43:01

Sounds ideal. My eldest won't even let me visit their house to see grandchildren.

Grannynannywanny Thu 27-Aug-20 21:07:01

Thanks Daddima. I’ve had a lovely birthday in my new bubble ?

aonk Thu 27-Aug-20 17:09:59

I agree with those who say you should swap bubbles after 2 weeks. We haven’t done the bubble thing with our family. We have 2 DD and DS living nearby and a DD living 20 miles away. All are married with children. We couldn’t possibly choose who to be in a bubble with and also there are other grandparents involved. Our DIL has chosen to bubble with her sister anyway. We just carry on as we were!

Daddima Thu 27-Aug-20 16:04:02

Happy birthday, Grannynannywanny!
I’m sure the lockdown will have knocked many a confidence, but, with time , it will grow again.

And Olive53 , I don’t think YouTube information should be heeded by anyone, especially not when it’s by the likes of Vernon Coleman, who , when not being the sex doctor in the News of the World, was saying it was HIV and AIDS which were going to get us all.
Rashid Buttar is another ‘expert’ loved by the ‘it’s all a con’ followers.

wendyann23 Thu 27-Aug-20 15:29:47

Go ahead! Think this would be in the spirit of the guidelines.
I try and be sensible and take a common sense approach as I fear we have to live with this virus for some time to come.

Pinkrinse Thu 27-Aug-20 14:02:13

I would and do, I think you have to remember They are guidelines and you need to work out what your comfortable with.

NannaGrandad Thu 27-Aug-20 13:32:24

I think this whole bubble thing is a nonsense. We've been encouraged to go out and eat, the kids are (or soon will be) back in education. Workplaces have been encouraged to open. In each of these settings there's a whole bunch of non family members who may or may not be observing the rules. We are supposed to mix with them but not our families? Crazy.
In answer to your question, you are behaving very responsibly and if you want to change your bubble then go ahead and do it.

suziewoozie Thu 27-Aug-20 13:18:12

Olive53

In February 2008 26,000 people died from the flu. Where we put into lockdown. No. In April this year we were told masks are useless
Now we have to wear them even though infection rate is so much lower
Wake up people. The Government are taking us for fools. Watch Vernon Coleman on YouTube. It’s all a con

This figure is simply not true at all. It’s the height of irresponsibility to post false information when we are discussing a serious issue. I think posts like this should be deleted as they can do so much harm.

Tweedle24 Thu 27-Aug-20 13:12:13

Olive58 I was discussing this with some friends. I have two points: one is that in 2008, no-one was wearing a mask or socially distancing so, it is inevitable that there would be fewer deaths in 2020. Secondly, as a nurse, I have seen many deaths from pneumonia (the true cause of death) - usually a gentle, peaceful death. In the old days it was known as ‘ the old ladies’ friend’. That is very, very different from the agonising, horrible death that Covid-19 brings. Also people who recover from flu usually make a full recovery. Covid survivors tell a very different tale.

Edithb Thu 27-Aug-20 12:55:38

Just use common sense.

CrazyGrandma2 Thu 27-Aug-20 12:02:51

I would and do. Currently life is constantly about evaluating risk and then acting accordingly. If I was living in an area where the infection rate is high and local lockdowns are in place, as some of you are, then I would follow the guidelines stringently as I did back in March. However, I'm fortunate to be in an area where the incidence is extremely low and so I am getting on with my life, whilst being mindful of the risks to myself and others. It seems reasonable a reasonable stance to me and my family.

Cabbie21 Thu 27-Aug-20 11:38:23

I think one has to try to weigh up the risks of each situation, depending on your own vulnerability(age, health etc).
I have met up with my daughter several times and sometimes with her children, but now they have been staying with other relatives, and soon going back to school, I think I will have to ask them just to stay on the drive rather than on my doorstep to chat, or proper distancing in their garden, as they will be mixing with others on the school bus, friends, teachers.... for us, the risks are not worth taking. It doesn’t matter what the rules are, they may be too lax for people at risk.

Olive53 Thu 27-Aug-20 11:37:55

In February 2008 26,000 people died from the flu. Where we put into lockdown. No. In April this year we were told masks are useless
Now we have to wear them even though infection rate is so much lower
Wake up people. The Government are taking us for fools. Watch Vernon Coleman on YouTube. It’s all a con

Grannynannywanny Thu 27-Aug-20 11:31:32

Thanks everyone. I have been visiting my daughter,Sil and gc in their home. But guidelines say we must distance. I’m happy you are all in agreement with me that I can now form a new bubble and enjoy a guilt free cuddle with them. Especially today on my birthday?
Is it just me or does anyone else feel these past few months have really undermined their self confidence and decision making?

Susieq62 Thu 27-Aug-20 11:15:47

We cannot do more than one bubble here in Bradford! Nobody else in house or garden and I am sticking to it so nobody can blame me if things go wrong! Cannot eat out with another household etc! Hopefully tomorrow might be a different message from our illustrious leader!!

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 27-Aug-20 11:04:39

Go for it!! Seems very reasonable

Kim19 Thu 27-Aug-20 11:00:15

Yes this bubble category has me a little confused too. I made mine right at the beginning of the legislation and kinda thought it was 'fixed'. Sheer logic suggests what nonsense this is and I now agree with other contributors here that a fourteen day gap is totally acceptable for changing things. Of course this gap would also have to apply when re-bubbling with your original group. Yes..... clearly gaps are the new order of the day (as well as masks?!!)

NemosMum Thu 27-Aug-20 10:19:07

If you keep a 14 day gap, which is the longest period for the incubation of the virus, there's no reason not to see your daughter's family.

Aepgirl Thu 27-Aug-20 10:15:11

I have a friend who thinks that it is OK to be in a bubble with anyone she knows well! Nobody can convince her any other way.

constance Thu 27-Aug-20 10:12:12

It's so hard isn't it?!

Soniah Thu 27-Aug-20 10:09:32

In Wales we can bubble with Four households, still careful but seems to work as they are not here often

Nannapat1 Thu 27-Aug-20 10:06:37

I'm sure what you would like to do is fine. Time to just be sensible and do your own risk assessment now, I think. Re the return to school and children's propensity for high temps, I'm dreading worst case scenario of cycle of tests and self isolating. Sorry if a bit off topic.

Jillybird Thu 27-Aug-20 10:00:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.