Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

If nothing else the pandemic has reminded us that life can be short. Although we have a Will, I feel there is more that I need to do to get my affairs in good order so I am looking for advice.....

(31 Posts)
kittylester Mon 31-Aug-20 20:45:37

We have sorted the roof and the garage and decluttered lots of drawers and cupboards in the house (not done the photos though - yet)

We have a safe with important papers in and dh, who plays the stock market a bit) has a list of our investments in there.

The thing that bothers me is that dh has no interest in cooking and I'm not sure how long the batch cooked stuff in the freezer will last.

Callistemon Mon 31-Aug-20 20:45:01

How did you manage that?
Having such a long thread title?

Not a lot really, the intention is there but .....
I should declutter

greengreengrass Mon 31-Aug-20 20:42:44

so yes, a kind of 'handbook' good idea I would say. Kind of what I have been trying to do but surprised here also about the amount of time it takes.

And I lead what I thought was a simple life anyway.

greengreengrass Mon 31-Aug-20 20:40:26

And i don't have a wil lyet so you are doing better than me...

greengreengrass Mon 31-Aug-20 20:39:47

Hello there,
I am with you on this one.
My situation is different I am an older single parent and I found I spent a lot of time in lockdown and in the pandemic just sorting things out, decluttering and making files with various papers in order so that if I were no longer on this earth someone else would be able to find their way with them relatively speaking.

Have even talked certain things through with DD she is too young to understand but I have tried to come up with contingency plans.

Whilst hoping for the best.

So my tip is

organise, declutter and label.

Well done for posting and glad to have some company on this journey
all best
ggg

Bitofayear Mon 31-Aug-20 20:36:15

The pandemic has really brought home to me just how fragile life is. We made a Will a few years ago but this whole period of time - and seeing millions of people dying unexpectedly - has made me realise that it needs to be updated. However, I now spend quite a lot of time fretting about what would happen if I suddenly died. I wouldn’t say I’m over-anxious but it is on my mind and makes me feel a bit overwhelmed if I’m honest. So if I died my hubby would have little idea how to run the house - not sure he would even know who we pay the electricity bill to as I take care of all of the household admin. If we both suddenly died, although many of the major things would be taken care of (eg guardianship of the children) there are so many other bits and pieces of our lives that would need to be sorted out. I feel that I want to be a bit more organised but find it hard to really know where to start. I have started to write it all down - a sort of handbook - but it’s taking me ages and I’m worried that I’m missing things. I just feel that I don’t want to leave a mess behind and I need more than a Will and was wondering if anybody has any advice about a better way to do this? Anybody else worried about this or just me?