Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Grandchildren visits

(69 Posts)
Grandmakath Thu 10-Sep-20 14:29:59

Since the new rules were announced on 9 Sept I am still unclear. Can my daughter and her two children visit us for lunch? We are in our seventies and their support bubble is with their other Grandma who is much younger.

NannyOggie Sun 20-Sep-20 09:49:04

I know it's OK for me to see my grandchildren but no idea how to maintain a 2m distance from them. My youngest is 4 and just doesn't understand. Also unclear whether its OK for us to take them out for the day without parents, which is what we've always done in the past. Presumably not, as it would be impossible to do this safely whilst maintaining a distance. Is the advice re. Social distancing a legal requirement or just advice? I want to be careful because my partner is over 70 but want to have contact with my grandchildren.

Franbern Mon 14-Sep-20 12:54:01

OMG - shortage of police - they cannot find enough people to investigate quite serious crimes, and people on here want to 'raid supermarkets;!!! For heavens sake!!!
If you are in a shop or supermarket and not happy with other peoples action, then avoid them and leave.

Do you also want the police to raid peoples; homes in case they daring to have a dinner party for seven or eight people?

All we need now is for someone to suggest that schools set up special corps of the children to report on their families and neighbours - to confirm how much of a fascist-type state we are moving into,.

Kate1949 Sun 13-Sep-20 14:37:58

I can't do links but you can Google the article by Ms Mooney (if you are remotely interested grin ). She actually says that no 'puffed up Covid Marshall' us going to stop her and her husband from having her children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, parents and two friends over for Christmas Day.
Shame on her indeed.

growstuff Sun 13-Sep-20 14:16:31

It wouldn't be a bad idea if the police raided supermarkets and made sure people are wearing masks. The could divert attention from drivers every so often.

growstuff Sun 13-Sep-20 14:14:13

I hope the police are going to raid Bel Mooney's house on Christmas Day and fine her.

LauraNorder Sun 13-Sep-20 13:56:17

No host, no virus, simples.

If everyone took every possible precaution we would stand a good chance of getting past this.
While a few don’t think the rules apply to them or twist them a bit to suit we have no chance.
Bel Mooney, shame on you.

sharon103 Sun 13-Sep-20 13:52:10

Jaxjacky

Irrespective of pubs, people moaned about clarity of advice and guidance. Now, it’s law, along with obligations to take details of people in hospitality.
So it’s 6, grannies, babies, in laws et al. I’m fed up with reading of people trying to move the, for once, clear statement to suit themselves, as many have done and still do with other rules.

Well said Jaxjacky.

BBbevan Sun 13-Sep-20 13:40:03

19 year old student, somewhere, has been fined £10,000 for having a party in his house. Over 50 young people attended. Good. A bit of Draconian law enforcement and not before time .

CleoPanda Sun 13-Sep-20 11:04:45

If everybody stayed at home, the virus would die out.
That’s not possible.
If everyone who could stay at at home did so, it would help.
However every other person intends to go out, visit, be visited, shop, go to a pub, cafe or restaurant, travel, meet up, bend the rules a little or bend the rules a great deal.
This will ensure the virus continues for the maximum possible time with continuing and continuous local and national lockdowns.

Kate1949 Sun 13-Sep-20 10:59:43

We'll see what happens after Tuesday when people here in Birmingham cannot mix with other households in either homes or gardens.

growstuff Sun 13-Sep-20 10:48:19

Kate1949

Well last night there were about 15 people in the house opposite us and they aren't very big houses. Some sort of a celebration. I suppose if it's a wedding or something that's allowed.

I doubt if the total floor area of the house is less than an average classroom, where it's apparently safe for 30 teenagers to gather.

growstuff Sun 13-Sep-20 10:46:05

mistymitts

I don't know w how you can say the virus will just disappear if we all stayed at home. New Zealanders did and had 100 days without any new infections, now Auckland is back in a Lockdown. This virus is not 'going away' just like flu viruses, we will need to find a way to live with it.

It won't go away, even with lockdowns, but it would be controllable. Auckland currently has about 20 confirmed cases, which it is able to manage. A short, sharp lockdown means that it shouldn't spread any further.

To put that into context, Auckland has a population of about 1,606,000. My district council has a population of 80,000 and 51 active cases.

The way to live with Covid 19 would be for people to wear masks, wash their hands frequently and keep their distance from other people, which too many people aren't.

Kate1949 Sun 13-Sep-20 10:27:00

We'll Ginger these neighbours were dancing in the street and letting fireworks off in the middle of the road at one o'clock in the morning
Like I said about 15 of them, no distancing there and it was nice of them to wake the rest of us up. angry

mistymitts Sun 13-Sep-20 08:27:56

I don't know w how you can say the virus will just disappear if we all stayed at home. New Zealanders did and had 100 days without any new infections, now Auckland is back in a Lockdown. This virus is not 'going away' just like flu viruses, we will need to find a way to live with it.

maddyone Sun 13-Sep-20 00:18:05

Social distancing is merely guidance, but the numbers are law. Until tomorrow the legally allowed groups can number up to thirty, though it’s not been recommended, but on Monday it becomes illegal for groups of more than six to meet. The social distancing has never been law, but is highly recommended guidance.
I think some of the confusion has arisen because there is law, and there is guidance. Only the law has to be followed, the guidance is just what’s recommended.

Gingergirl Sat 12-Sep-20 21:40:32

Nope Kate1949 it wouldn’t be allowed even for a wedding, unless all households are socially distant from each other.

Kate1949 Sat 12-Sep-20 14:08:55

Well last night there were about 15 people in the house opposite us and they aren't very big houses. Some sort of a celebration. I suppose if it's a wedding or something that's allowed.

humptydumpty Sat 12-Sep-20 13:57:19

Anyone would think this was going to be in place for the rest of our lifetimes! come on folks, get a grip - a minor sacrifice for what - a year? if that, given that a vaccine is probably on the way - is not the end of the world.

nanasam Sat 12-Sep-20 12:43:31

Unfortunately, in a large number of cases people simply cannot or will not be trusted to use common sense. These are the ones that are likely to ignore any rules that don't fit in with their lifestyles and just do their own thing, to the detriment of other, law abiding peeps.

Kate1949 Sat 12-Sep-20 12:19:31

Exactly growstuff. Many people have had their Christmas plans disrupted, including us, but tough. We have to deal with it.

ExD Sat 12-Sep-20 12:19:10

As the virus is showing signs of getting on top of us again, the govt scientists can only report on what they find. There's no time for law/rule makers to think everything through, so I imagine they try to come up with a one-size fits-all kind of rule.
I think a caveat needs adding that common sense should be applied to different circumstances.
These rules are needed because some idiotic people have thrown common sense out of the window and put us all back at risk by being selfish. If everyone had been sensible we wouldn't need 'rules'.
So which is it Maddy1? (and please don't be offended)
I think its 'kill granny' or go to clubs and pubs. smile

growstuff Sat 12-Sep-20 12:02:18

Maybe she should stop thinking about what people think (although as a journalist she has a responsibility) and think about the risk to her and the other 13 people ... and all those who come in contact with them.

Kate1949 Sat 12-Sep-20 11:09:41

Some prominent people don't help. Bel Mooney - a journalist I think - writes in the Daily Mail today that she will be having 14 for Christmas Day and she doesn't care what anyone thinks. angry

growstuff Sat 12-Sep-20 10:48:06

Polls suggest that only 20% of people who are supposed to self-isolate actually do so. They don't seem to realise that it means not popping out to the shops or taking the dog for a walk - it means isolating oneself. That's not easy for people living in shared/cramped housing. Maybe a priority should be to make sure that those who are potential spreaders do actually stay at home and are financially compensated if they can't work and provided with alternative accommodation, if necessary. Maybe people should stop bending the rules. Maybe the government should stop trying to shame people to go back to work and should accept that schools cannot be "covid-safe".

growstuff Sat 12-Sep-20 10:41:58

And yes, the virus would disappear if everybody stayed at home and/or was absolutely vigilant about hygiene and social distancing, but that's probably unrealistic too.