Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Grandchildren visits

(68 Posts)
Grandmakath Thu 10-Sep-20 14:29:59

Since the new rules were announced on 9 Sept I am still unclear. Can my daughter and her two children visit us for lunch? We are in our seventies and their support bubble is with their other Grandma who is much younger.

GrandmaKT Thu 10-Sep-20 14:33:48

Yes you can meet in groups of 6 indoors or outdoors. You should try to keep a distance from people you don't live with.

Nonnapg Thu 10-Sep-20 14:45:27

Grandmakath a good Source of information on the new rules is gov.uk, particularly the new page in Guidance - Coronavirus (Covid-19): Meeting with others safely (social distancing), which was updated yesterday. Enjoy their visit

dirgni Fri 11-Sep-20 10:13:41

“Boris the Bumbler” has once again made it very unclear as to what is expected! I’d rather listen to Nicola Sturgeon even though I don’t live in Scotland!

cfmp Fri 11-Sep-20 10:15:39

You are lucky. We want be able to see our daughter and our grandchildren. She has four children, so with my husband and I that would make 7. I understand restrictions are necessary but I would have thought pubs are much more dangerous, especially when large groups of people have too much to drink.

Froglady Fri 11-Sep-20 10:16:09

Make sure that you are not in an area that's in lockdown as I am in Blackburn. We can't meet people in our houses, gardens or in the open like a park.

Cabbie21 Fri 11-Sep-20 10:17:20

The rules say you can. Whether you personally consider it is safe for you is for you to decide.
Nobody comes into our house. Too risky for DH.

Mercure Fri 11-Sep-20 10:21:04

cfmp, Ah, but there is a difference between pubs and home environments. In a pub, you're spending money and supporting the economy! [sad]

cfmp Fri 11-Sep-20 10:28:15

I agree with you Mercure, but when everything is considered I am not completely convinced the figures always add up. With all the extra people registering positive needing to isolate + their families and people they have been in contact with that must be an awful lot of people unable to work + all the extra cost on medical treatments. Of course that just looking at the economic aspect and forgetting the emotional impact.

Mercure Fri 11-Sep-20 10:38:50

I think it is up to the individual to consider both the safety of themselves and those around them. I have no confidence in the UK government whatsoever. My feeling is that if 8 members of a family visit, all having been careful in their day to day activities, and all social distance in the garden, then it is safer than any pub or restaurant. Mind you, I am often accused of going OTT about this, I refuse to mix even with those friends who openly admit to having a 'had enough of this now, life is for living' type attitude. My feeling is that this isn't going to go away in the immediate future so we have to look after ourselves and others in the best way we can using our own common sense - and not necessarily that of BoJo!.

Gingergirl Fri 11-Sep-20 10:43:02

Count up how many people including the children will be there. If it’s six or under, it’s fine. You must all be at a distance though, preferably two metres apart.

Jaxjacky Fri 11-Sep-20 10:44:38

Irrespective of pubs, people moaned about clarity of advice and guidance. Now, it’s law, along with obligations to take details of people in hospitality.
So it’s 6, grannies, babies, in laws et al. I’m fed up with reading of people trying to move the, for once, clear statement to suit themselves, as many have done and still do with other rules.

kwest Fri 11-Sep-20 10:47:29

We are due to go on holiday next week. Two cottages, one sleeps 7 + 1 dog and one sleeps 4 . Our family of 10 meet up for a long weekend and then my husband and I stay on for the rest of the week.
We usually all eat together. Now we have to find a way of making sure no more than 6 are together at any time, Not what we planned but we will work through it somehow. Very disappointing but at least we can still go, for which we are very grateful.

lincolnimp Fri 11-Sep-20 11:17:38

Does anyone know if a 2 year old is counted in the 6 people rule?

Jaxjacky Fri 11-Sep-20 11:25:37

lincolnimp whether 2 hours old or two years, it’s six people

Doreen5 Fri 11-Sep-20 11:25:46

Yes, a 2 year old counts in the rule of six if you live in England.

Cabbie21 Fri 11-Sep-20 11:26:35

Yes, in England. Under 12 s don’t count in Scotland.

HazelF Fri 11-Sep-20 12:26:10

I agree is was up to us to manage the risks when it was just Government Guidelines, but remember it is now against the law and illegal to meet in groups over 6, however you feel about BoJo. Still up to you though I guess.

HannahLoisLuke Fri 11-Sep-20 12:38:45

Boris can't make it any clearer surely. Six people, including yourself, inside or out, that's it. And by the way that includes babies, they are people too!

Totallylost Fri 11-Sep-20 12:41:47

Cfmp if your daughter is classed as a single parent with her children then you can form a support bubble with her, its not possible if you both have a spouse / partner though

4allweknow Fri 11-Sep-20 12:45:32

Yes you can.

Aepgirl Fri 11-Sep-20 13:20:08

Whatever the upper limit of people who can meet up, there will always be those who declare it’s not fair because they have 3/4/5 children etc. These restrictions are there to stop the spread of the virus, and if we all abide by the rules, no matter how unfair they may seem, we can beat this awful virus.

LadyGracie Fri 11-Sep-20 13:26:43

Where we live we can still look after our grandchild whilst her parents are working but they’re not allowed in our house, so this week they’ve deposited and collected said child from the back gate. Our grandchild is allowed in our house as long as she washes her hands frequently.

I kid you not!

Paperbackwriter Fri 11-Sep-20 13:46:23

kwest On your holiday you can all eat together if you go to the pub and eat at tables of no more than 6, but not in one house together. Realised last night that I can't have my daughter and her family round to ours in Cornwall as that would be a total of 7. I wish they'd count children as a kind of half-fare, like it used to be on a bus then we could see them all together! Oh well.. no doubt by the time I next visit the area if will have all changed again.

maddyone Fri 11-Sep-20 14:12:20

The trouble is that not all areas of England are the same. The rate of infection is being driven up by the areas in the north such as Greater Manchester, Birmingham, and other areas. I live on the south coast, and infection rates around me are very low. But my daughter and her husband and three children can no longer visit us altogether unless one of us goes out of the house. It’s ridiculous. How does that in any way lower the transmission of infection? The one who went out would come back and any transmission would still occur if it was going to. Plus we are being told on some news items that transmission is being driven by young people who won’t socially distance, and then later on, oh no, it’s being driven by families meeting together in houses.
Now which is it? Young people in pubs and clubs, or families in houses?