Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

World-beating test and trace system!

(88 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 15-Sep-20 15:55:50

My DD has just had to do a 100 mile round trip to have a test as she has a high temperature - the children have had colds since returning to school so we hope that this is all it is. It is perfectly ridiculous. The test centre in our nearest town has been closed down.

And her OH has to stay off work on no pay until the result comes back.

Neither is a great incentive to play by the rules.

Luckygirl Fri 18-Sep-20 11:47:25

I don't get the curfew either - a lot of bugs can be exchanged during the rest of the day. Unless they think that people who have been drinking all evening are less likely to get the social distancing rule.

But I do accept that there will be anomalies in the system - only full lockdown is the certain way, but we all want to avoid that.

My fury at this government for its incompetence in allowing the virus free rein at the beginning is unabated. All they can do now is cobble something together - but they are hampered by their need to make sure their mates get the plum contracts.

MaizieD Fri 18-Sep-20 11:18:25

Whitewavemark2

Can anyone explain to me how a curfew of 10pm on pubs etc is going to stop the spread?

I think you can only get wasted after 10 o'clock at night, Wwmk" grin

MaizieD Fri 18-Sep-20 11:15:54

There have been some very odd decisions made in the North East, I think, Gilmul.

Why has Northumberland been included when it has a really low rate of infection? Why County Durham and not Teeside? Perhaps the fact that large swathes of the NE with relatively low rates have been included might account for the fact that there aren't 'thousands' queueing for tests?

I, too, know of very few people who have had covid and that was early on.

Gilmul Fri 18-Sep-20 11:00:11

Here in the NE which has new restrictions/ curfews on restaurants etc., has testing centres that you can easily book same day appointment literally a few miles down the road. I would have assumed from our councils putting forward the need for these special measures that they would be thousands queuing at the centres/online etc yet this doesn’t seem to be the case at all ??? I know they’re doing their best for us all and WE WILL comply but I literally know no one ( and my friends know of no one either) who is sick at this present time. We were traced a few weeks back , had a test within an hour (negative), five miles away, as were all the others who were traced quickly.

Furret Fri 18-Sep-20 08:28:12

Sorry that should be Oxford University Hospitals

Furret Fri 18-Sep-20 08:27:21

About 70% accuracy according to University College London,

Ellianne Fri 18-Sep-20 08:10:38

Are there any statistics to show what % of tests actually produce a positive result? We continually hear people saying they tested negative but very few the other way round. Of course no one wants to take a chance, but how to stop every cough and sniffle being a reason to get a test? Is there no way there could be some kind of triage system by medics? The public isn't being very bright about mingling and social distancing, so it stands to reason it might not be very bright about recognising the symptoms.

Furret Fri 18-Sep-20 08:09:26

Well that says it all Lucca

Lucca Fri 18-Sep-20 08:09:13

Sorry not tech savvy this morning

Lucca Fri 18-Sep-20 08:08:56

Middle bit

Lucca Fri 18-Sep-20 08:08:30

Sorry first bits missing

Lucca Fri 18-Sep-20 08:07:10

Article in the times

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Sep-20 07:54:04

Telegraph reporting that the government has come up with a new wheeze for the defunct test and trace system.

Outsource it to Amazon!!

You know that massive company that barely pays any tax to our coffers is now going to get the U.K. tax payer to pay it!

What on earth is wrong with the NHS?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Sep-20 06:31:57

Can anyone explain to me how a curfew of 10pm on pubs etc is going to stop the spread?

growstuff Fri 18-Sep-20 03:32:17

She also admitted that there isn't the capacity to test everybody with symptoms. 50% of tests will be reserved for NHS staff and hospital patients, care workers and care home residents. Some tests will be used for random testing for research purposes. The remaining tests will be used for everybody else, although school staff will be given priority.

She said they weren't doing as many tests as they could because they don't have the laboratory capacity to test the samples.

Government documents reveal that only 81,000 people a day are being tested, despite the claims of 240,000 capacity. Johnson went even further yesterday and claimed there was capacity for over 300,000 tests, but that included antibody tests.

Luckygirl Thu 17-Sep-20 22:41:19

Dido H was being quizzed today and more or less said that the surge in demand for tests was unexpected - unexpected!!?? - autumn, schools going back, universities going back, rules about needing tests or not being able to go into work, pubs and cafes having been open for a few weeks....and she did not expect a surge in tests! What planet is she living on?!

Watching some of the news programmes tonight I am not surprised that cases are rising - some of the members of the general public they interviewed seemed to have a bit of a brain deficit! ....sorry, shouldn't say tings like that.

Curlygirl Thu 17-Sep-20 20:26:59

Don’t know about anyone else but I feel like we are on a driverless bus in this country. A PM who lies to us and seems to have no idea of what is happening and a lot of so called experts who have been put in charge of departments who have no experience in the area and seem totally incompetent. How sad for this country that we now have someone whose only ambition was to push Brexit through and is clueless about how to deal with the pandemic.

Franbern Thu 17-Sep-20 09:41:14

Find it strange that PM yesterday stated that a 'pregnancy style Covid test' was not going to available in the foreseeable future, yest Rome Airport are doing just that with a 30 minutes turnaround for results

Whitewavemark2 Thu 17-Sep-20 08:18:17

Let this be a marker. If Johnson refuses to take advise as he refused in February/March we will see a much worse situation as we struggle through the winter.

“I’m hearing from a well-connected person that government now thinks, in absence of testing, there are 38,000 infections per day. Chris Whitty is advising PM for a two week national lockdown”

Chickenfeet Thu 17-Sep-20 08:06:36

In HongKong China sent 600 medical staff to help for the free testing , but the opposition councilor and rioter leaders spending the rumoours that China is going to take all the DNA and planning a lot of damages . So at the end only 1.7 million take the test instead 7million. Jealous ? Or be careful what the govtment will do with your DNA?????

suziewoozie Thu 17-Sep-20 07:49:27

As ever Johnson really knows how to pick a winner. In our house, we pronounce her name properly with an ‘l’ for obvious reasons

Daisymae Thu 17-Sep-20 07:41:46

Dido Harding is to go before a committee of MPs today. First time she has put her head over the parapet for months. As she's paid a fortune to preside over this key element of managing the pandemic it should make an interesting interview. You have to wonder why someone without a scientific background is not managing this area.

growstuff Thu 17-Sep-20 00:02:27

Apparently, the symptoms can be slightly different in children. They are less likely to lose their sense of taste and smell, but more likely to have a stomach ache and/or diarrhoea. Another symptom is blue toes.

I would be extremely reluctant to send my child to any school where children weren't sent home if they had symptoms. people have a right to take risks with their own life, but not with other people's.

suziewoozie Wed 16-Sep-20 21:10:05

The schools are following instructions from the government re children being sent home if they show COVID symptoms ( cough/temperature/loss of taste/smell) They are not making it up themselves

growstuff Wed 16-Sep-20 20:59:24

There was a "pop up" testing station in a local town, but that was organised by the local health authority rather than Serco Test and Trace. It was in response to an outbreak in a local school, where 8 staff tested positive and I think it's closed now.