Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Would (will?) you snitch on your neighbours?

(180 Posts)
MawB2 Thu 17-Sep-20 11:19:31

As recommended by the fragrant Priti Patel?
What happened to “we’re all in this together”, “Brutush common sense” , “Blitz spirit” ?
From Michael Deacon in today’s DT who puts it better than I could
To encourage us, the Home Secretary Priti Patel has told an interviewer that she would happily snitch on her neighbours, should she catch them breaking the law. (British law, that is. Breaking international law is, of course, a completely different matter.)
Reporters duly travelled to Witham in Essex, to ask Ms Patel’s neighbours for a response. One woman replied that, in the circumstances described, she would cordially invite the Home Secretary to “do one”

Tellingly, the woman added: “It was all right for Dominic Cummings to drive up to his second house. It seems like one rule for them and one rule for us

I think (more than) a few of us are saying “Hear, hear”.

Elegran Wed 23-Sep-20 10:09:57

At the time, air raid wardens were often compared to the Gestapo (we've all watched Dad's Army), but they did the job - they shamed people into co-operating with basic precautions, and saved many lives.

FannyCornforth Wed 23-Sep-20 10:14:49

I have done blush
Very different circumstances in May.
30+ people involved
Theyd been pushing their luck big style for the whole of lockdown.
It was the final straw.

MrsRochester Wed 23-Sep-20 10:20:10

Home Sec is awful and certainly wouldn’t want to mingle with her.

Yes, I would report neighbours.

PM is awful too but “One person’s cough is another’s death nell” rings too true in our family curcunstances.

MrsRochester Wed 23-Sep-20 10:21:15

Circumstances. What a weird predictive text ?