Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Covid vaccines consultation

(64 Posts)
Jaxjacky Fri 18-Sep-20 13:49:47

Sorry can’t do a proper link, someone else feel free.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Sep-20 13:54:59

That is so the government can give us unlicensed vaccine.

MiniMoon Fri 18-Sep-20 14:14:55

Here is the link to the full document

growstuff Fri 18-Sep-20 14:17:38

This is the link:

www.gov.uk/government/consultations/distributing-vaccines-and-treatments-for-covid-19-and-flu/consultation-document-changes-to-human-medicine-regulations-to-support-the-rollout-of-covid-19-vaccines

I would want to know more about the UK licensing authorities before I accepted any vaccine. It really has got to the stage where I don't trust the motivation of anything this government says or does. I have never felt this way before.

growstuff Fri 18-Sep-20 14:18:24

SNAP MiniMoon

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Sep-20 14:19:36

growstuff

This is the link:

www.gov.uk/government/consultations/distributing-vaccines-and-treatments-for-covid-19-and-flu/consultation-document-changes-to-human-medicine-regulations-to-support-the-rollout-of-covid-19-vaccines

I would want to know more about the UK licensing authorities before I accepted any vaccine. It really has got to the stage where I don't trust the motivation of anything this government says or does. I have never felt this way before.

Add me to that thought.

I disbelieve everything they do or say, and I’m sure there are the vast majority of people in this country who feel the same.

Jane10 Fri 18-Sep-20 14:28:30

WWM2- ridiculous generalisation. Just because you think something doesn't mean that 'the vast majority of the country think the same'.
I'm sure we've all, somehow, picked up that you're not keen on the government!

growstuff Fri 18-Sep-20 14:38:04

Ah well! Maybe it's just the two of us Whitewave but I doubt it somehow.

I seriously don't know how anybody could be keen on this government Jane10, but each to their own I suppose.

growstuff Fri 18-Sep-20 14:39:50

How do you justify the lying and the cronyism or don't you think it's happening?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Sep-20 15:08:01

Jane10

*WWM2*- ridiculous generalisation. Just because you think something doesn't mean that 'the vast majority of the country think the same'.
I'm sure we've all, somehow, picked up that you're not keen on the government!

I would make sure of your facts before you jump in with both feet.
Opinion poll published in the observer

Most people would prefer a different prime minister.

Most people see him as incompetent

More people thought Johnson was untrustworthy

More people see him as a weak leader

More people see him as out of touch with ordinary folk.

He scores low on thinks like getting things done, standing up for the U.K. etc

You are correct, I am not keen on Johnson’s government. Frankly I would worry about my moral compass if I was prepared to vote for such a lying, incompetent charlatan.

Jane10 Fri 18-Sep-20 16:57:05

There you go again WWM2. It's perfectly possible to be unhappy with the elements of all political parties.

M0nica Fri 18-Sep-20 19:05:02

if you are concerned about the licensing procedures for medecines in the UK, here is a link ot the procedure www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-for-a-licence-to-market-a-medicine-in-the-uk#which-procedure-to-follow .

I am no fan of this government, but to suggest that it would subvert the licensing procedures for drugs - or that members of the Advisory Board would permit it, strikes me as ludicrous. I would add, I doubt if even, under Mr Corbyn, the Labour party would hsae contempleted it either.

growstuff Fri 18-Sep-20 19:27:40

This government has done quite a lot I would have previously thought ludicrous. Those guidelines will need to be updated on 1 January 2021.

Corbyn and the Labour Party have nothing to do with it.

M0nica Fri 18-Sep-20 20:05:57

Well, they do because they were the alternative government we would have had if this lot hadn't got in.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Sep-20 20:16:58

The point about licensing drugs is that Johnson’s government is consulting with the idea of by-passing the licensing process. It is also intending to pass legislation that will prevent an individual suing the government if she gets sick from one of these unlicensed vaccinations.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Sep-20 20:19:44

Jane10

There you go again WWM2. It's perfectly possible to be unhappy with the elements of all political parties.

Of course it is, you speak as as if people don’t understand that.

But I am talking about the U.K. government.

If you can prove it’s competence and trustworthiness along with its incorruptibility then I will accept what you are saying.

Alegrias Fri 18-Sep-20 20:34:06

Whitewavemark2

The point about licensing drugs is that Johnson’s government is consulting with the idea of by-passing the licensing process. It is also intending to pass legislation that will prevent an individual suing the government if she gets sick from one of these unlicensed vaccinations.

On the first point WWM2, they are only proposing to allow the use of a vaccine before it receives its marketing licence. I'm no fan of this government but I agree with removing administrative blockers to getting any proven vaccine distributed as quickly as possible.

On the second point, do you have the source of this claim?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Sep-20 20:49:55

Alegrias

Whitewavemark2

On the first point WWM2, they are only proposing to allow the use of a vaccine before it receives its marketing licence. I'm no fan of this government but I agree with removing administrative blockers to getting any proven vaccine distributed as quickly as possible.

On the second point, do you have the source of this claim?

The BBC

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Sep-20 20:56:32

A drug is licensed only if strict quality and safety standards are met.

Personally I would rather have a licensed vaccine than an unlicensed vaccine.

Alegrias Fri 18-Sep-20 21:12:57

And that of course is your prerogative WW2

"A drug is licensed only if strict quality and safety standards are met." True. But a drug which has met strict quality and safety standards is not necessarily licenced.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Sep-20 06:36:00

Alegrias

And that of course is your prerogative WW2

"A drug is licensed only if strict quality and safety standards are met." True. But a drug which has met strict quality and safety standards is not necessarily licenced.

How would you know it had?

Alegrias Sat 19-Sep-20 08:03:31

Because licencing isn't about the testing of the drug. It's about giving commercial companies the right to manufacture and market it. I would want to know something was tested and approved, but I would not personally lose any sleep over the licencing aspect.

We obviously have to have assurances about safety and efficacy, but licencing is not necessary for that.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Sep-20 08:12:04

Hmm! I am not convinced, must look further into this.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Sep-20 08:23:23

I shall consult my oracle?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Sep-20 08:42:51

Interestingly I do know that the USA licensing standards are higher than the UKs.

So I’d be happier having a vaccine produced and licensed by the USA than a non-licensed U.K. one.