Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Rebelling

(78 Posts)
Hebdenali Sun 20-Sep-20 08:34:10

Is it just me but the more this incompetent shower of a government tells (orders) me to do the less likely I am to obey.
With the possibility of £10,000 fines I certainly will not be downloading the track and trace app when it’s released. The probability of being near to someone in passing ie in a supermarket without my own health being compromised is probably quite high. I don’t intend to self isolate should this be the case and will not leave myself open to huge fines when I go out for my daily exercise.
Neither will I allow myself to be track and traced via my mobile. Any contact number given out will be for a very old PAYG phone which has no connection to myself or my address. Additionally it will never be turned on.
I think that it’s about time we realised that we have to live with this virus, it’s not going away anytime soon. Give huge support to those who want to shield and let the rest of us move on before we have no recognisable society to return to.

Riverwalk Sun 20-Sep-20 08:49:47

Are you serious? We'll never control the every-increasing numbers with this sort of attitude.

And this a reminder to those who wonder why we can't do a 'Sweden' - the Swedes could be trusted to follow the rules that were set out.

EllanVannin Sun 20-Sep-20 09:00:25

What a selfish/ self-centred society !!

Jaxjacky Sun 20-Sep-20 09:09:12

I hope I don’t live near you then Hebnenali. We may have to live with it, most of us are trying our hardest to ensure fewer die with it.

TwiceAsNice Sun 20-Sep-20 09:19:26

It’s because of selfish people like you that we are still in the situation we are in. It’s not just you who might die if you keep rebelling

Septimia Sun 20-Sep-20 09:20:55

Hear hear TwiceAsNice, just what I was going to say.

MawB2 Sun 20-Sep-20 09:21:30

Jaxjacky

I hope I don’t live near you then Hebnenali. We may have to live with it, most of us are trying our hardest to ensure fewer die with it.

Great sentiment! And one which I will remember.
I don’t think OP is the “rebel” she thinks she is - that would suggest courage, bravery in the face of adversity.
Sticking our heads in the sand might inhibit transmission but runs the risk of suffocation so I would rather take whatever precautions are deemed sensible, not OTT like washing my food in bleach but the precautions we should all have been considering when faced with the prospect of seasonal flu- distance, face covering, hand washing, avoiding areas of high risk. When DH was alive he was on immunosuppressants and much of how he and I behaved was designed to reduce the risk of any infection to an absolute minimum. Covid would have been a nightmare, but the bottom line would have been not to catch it and for that we have to do whatever it takes to redice the spread of the virus.

TwiceAsNice Sun 20-Sep-20 09:27:54

Thanks Septimia glad you agree !

Hebdenali Sun 20-Sep-20 09:37:30

Please don’t get me wrong. I will happily wear a mask when out. Not touch anyone who doesn’t want to be touched or invade their personal space. I will Wash my hands till they are sore. I will maintain social distances in queues and always adhere to the wishes of the most cautious person I’m with.
BUT as someone who has had the virus months ago I may well be the safest person to be around. The incidence of second infections are extremely rare. And for this reason I will not endure weeks of incarceration should I happen to sit near an infected person on a train or in a shop.

MiniMoon Sun 20-Sep-20 09:48:40

But how much immunity do you have Hebdenali?
This is something we don't understand yet. After having the virus, how immune are you and how long does that immunity last?
I think I may have had covid-19, (I had a weird skin rash, no other symptoms), but I'm still going to adhere to all the guidelines, and if another lockdown ensues then I will put up with it with good grace.
I dont want to catch it, or spread it if I'm asymptomatic.

Oldwoman70 Sun 20-Sep-20 09:57:01

As I understand it "immunity" has been found to only last a few months - for all you know you could now be a carrier who doesn't display symptoms.

Grannynannywanny Sun 20-Sep-20 10:02:16

Hebdenali
I think that it’s about time we realised that we have to live with this virus
Sadly there are many thousands of people who haven’t managed to live with it. Shielding and vulnerable folk will be at even greater risk of severe illness and possible death thanks to the “rebels” I don’t see those who choose to ignore the rules as rebels. I think selfish b***** is much more appropriate.

Luckygirl Sun 20-Sep-20 10:05:15

How very sad to read the OP. How will we ever get on top of this when there are people like her around? sad

Grannybags Sun 20-Sep-20 10:09:36

I agree with all of the above posters, especially selfish b***

Riverwalk Sun 20-Sep-20 10:16:35

Hebdenali

Please don’t get me wrong. I will happily wear a mask when out. Not touch anyone who doesn’t want to be touched or invade their personal space. I will Wash my hands till they are sore. I will maintain social distances in queues and always adhere to the wishes of the most cautious person I’m with.
BUT as someone who has had the virus months ago I may well be the safest person to be around. The incidence of second infections are extremely rare. And for this reason I will not endure weeks of incarceration should I happen to sit near an infected person on a train or in a shop.

So when you tested positive months ago did you refuse to hand over contact details of those you'd been in contact with, so they could be traced and advised as to what to do?

NanaandGrampy Sun 20-Sep-20 10:29:00

This beggars belief OP !

Ever heard of ‘ for the greater good’?

Your I’m all right Jack attitude sucks and I make no apologies for saying so.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 20-Sep-20 10:30:45

Hebdenali

Don’t bank on you being immune, there is evidence to suggest that immunity only last for a few months.

janeainsworth Sun 20-Sep-20 10:33:22

It’s easy to see why the Track and Trace isn’t reaching a very high percentage of contacts, isn’t it?
Sadly I think hebdenali is far from isolated (forgive the pun) in her attitudes & values.

Teacheranne Sun 20-Sep-20 10:37:33

Track and trace only contact you if you have spent a certain period of time with someone who has the virus, I think it is over 15 minutes. So just walking past someone when shopping or having a quick chat will not affect you.

lemongrove Sun 20-Sep-20 10:41:17

Luckygirl

How very sad to read the OP. How will we ever get on top of this when there are people like her around? sad

Agreed!
Sadly there are many people with these selfish views, which is why we are now in the state we are in.?

farview Sun 20-Sep-20 11:09:27

I shall think about your selfishness OP each time I feel heartbroken re not being able to see or hug my family..my town is in lockdown again due to people like yourself.....

MissChateline Sun 20-Sep-20 11:09:42

I’m not entirely sure what the OP has actually done wrong to deserve all of this vitriol. She seems to be adhering to SD rules, takes adequate precautions when out and wears a mask etc. I guess that like a large number of people she doesn’t trust this government with personal data and doesn’t want to receive a fine for going out. The likelihood of getting a test is so remote that this could result in being confined to the house for no reason and would certainly affect one’s mental health.

Grandad1943 Sun 20-Sep-20 11:16:12

Some people will not acknowledge the serious situation Covid-19 is to them and all of us it would seem until they are sat at home in the dark, with all in there fridge going rancid, nothing on the shelves of the supermarkets and the NHS overwhelmed and being unable to treat them should they fall ill.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 20-Sep-20 11:19:10

As for the track and trace app - you might not have an option about it, it's been downloaded on to my phone, but not by me!!!!

GrannyGravy13 Sun 20-Sep-20 11:24:47

Gwenisgreat1

As for the track and trace app - you might not have an option about it, it's been downloaded on to my phone, but not by me!!!!

It is on most up to date iPhones and android phones, but you have to activate it for it to be used.