Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Visiting my grandson

(69 Posts)
weeshamrock Wed 23-Sep-20 14:35:53

Am due to visit my 11month old grandson tomorrow and stay for a few days. Have only seen him once this year. My daughter rang this morning to say he has a cold. The drive takes four hours. She wanted me to have the choice of wether to go or not as it is only a cold. My husband and I stay at home mostly and are both well with no health conditions. I am a quandry and would be grateful for other peoples ideas and thoughts.

Illte Thu 24-Sep-20 12:57:46

I think the OP has made a good decision. Covid in young children can present as just a cold.

The virus spreads through contact. That's the bottom line. Yes people will make their own decisions on their own risk. It's spreading the risk that they don't seem to understand.

Stop off at a nice hotel? Use the toilet there. Spread the risk to all the people in the hotel. Off they go, back home to work and family and shopping.

Is infection spread so hard to understand ?

sandelf Thu 24-Sep-20 12:45:32

Have you isolated for the past couple of weeks? It's not you I'd worry about it's him and them.

polnan Thu 24-Sep-20 12:19:20

the four hour drive would decide me.

looking at the comparative list earlier, seems "fever" is the main sympton to be aware of..

I remain confused as to what we can do and what we can`t do!

I am not good in the "panic" department, living alone for the first time in my life I am having to learn to change/adjust..
not a good place,, and then , of course, I am of an age... but then of course, it is about others , not about ourselves...

so many ifs and buts, and whatevers....

apologies, of course, we all have to make our own decisions

kevincharley Thu 24-Sep-20 11:41:53

No. If more people keep themselves away from others the more chance we have of the country opening up again.
So many people are looking for excuses to break the advice of staying away from other people as much as possible.
Even if the child only has a cold the parents may be carriers. People who have visited their home may be carriers.
Do you want to take the risk? Do you really want to be one of the people in a chain that may cause a death?
Stay home.

GoldenAge Thu 24-Sep-20 11:41:29

I would go - there are lots of colds going around right now - you may not see him for years at this rate - of course it’s up to you but you can do the drive sensibly with your own picnic and a toilet stop without touching anything at all in the loos - this is perfectly doable - mental health is at rock bottom in the nation right now and I’d you have a glimmer of enjoyment through family contact carefully organised it makes more sense to opt for that in my opinion. You can still have your cleaner in your home even though there might be six people in it st the same time - the cleaner is working and allowed to do that and does not have to displace on sixth of the family members - we all need to be sensible here and use our brains.

Greyjoy1953 Thu 24-Sep-20 11:36:23

I agree go, if you feel awkward wear a mask. My grandchildren have gone back to school and needless to say I have had the COLD, along with most other grandparents and parents. there is a big difference and you never know when you will get to see them again, so in my opinion I would go. Have a great time while you can

JulieK59 Thu 24-Sep-20 11:31:40

If you're not under local lockdown ( as we are in Birmingham at the moment ) then it's fine. Do it while you can!!

Venus Thu 24-Sep-20 11:24:16

Of course go. It's unlikely that you have covid and all you risk is catching your grandson's cold. This virus situation could go on easily for a further year, so if you have a chance of seeing your family, then I would.

Just be careful on the journey. Maybe take sandwiches and drink with you so you don't need to stop off. Toilet facilities are another matter but perhaps chose a nice hotel to visit for that and not a motorway stop off?

Cs783 Thu 24-Sep-20 11:19:55

weeshamrock glad you’ve decided on your way forward and what a lovely response you’ve given to posters here. All the best.

Mollygo Thu 24-Sep-20 11:04:38

In the end you’ll make up your own mind, but since you’ve asked, don’t go. 4 hours away. Will you go by car? Will you need to stop? How would you feel if your family or yourselves become ill with Covid soon after your visit? What are the rules near where they or you live?

GrannyLondon Thu 24-Sep-20 10:55:49

Why don't you wait until he is better and then go? I don't think wearing a mask will protect you, but will protect him & your daughter's family.

nipsmum Thu 24-Sep-20 10:49:42

So many ifs, ands and buts. Make up your own mind what's important. Covid is going to be around for a while. Do you want or need to put your life on hold for the next year or more. You decide.

Craftycat Thu 24-Sep-20 10:42:30

It's a cold. Kids get them a lot. Go & meet your new Grandson but if it makes you feel better wear a mask. At that age he won't even notice.

Nannan2 Thu 24-Sep-20 10:37:25

My daughter got tests for them when my GD had developed a cough&cold after being back at school a couple of wks, as she said, theres no rule to say someone can't have a cold virus AND a covid virus at the same time- quite true, but i hadn't considered that before.?

Matelda Thu 24-Sep-20 10:19:27

Matt Hancock said on Sky News this morning that if you have an established contact in England and no extra restrictions you can see them in their house. I think he was referring to lovers, but I assume it also applies to people already sharing a support bubble. People living alone are going to find this a long hard winter if they cannot enter other people's houses at all.

Danma Thu 24-Sep-20 10:19:22

If you’re not normally frightened of catching a cold, then go. It might be your last opportunity for a while.

Enjoy your visit

MrsRochester Thu 24-Sep-20 10:14:33

acalpad

Saw this today. Could be useful, but not definitive!

Doesn’t apply to young children unfortunately . They have a huge array of symptoms that adults don’t suffer.

Oldbat1 Thu 24-Sep-20 10:13:35

My GP neighbour couldn’t tell if their 3yr old daughter had a cold or COVID. They managed to eventually after two days to get a test in Scotland but live in England. It was 100miles round trip. So even medics can’t say what is a cold and what is COVID as children present differently. Test came back as negative the next day.

H1954 Thu 24-Sep-20 10:10:50

It wouldn't be the exposure to the baby with a cold that bothered me, more the four hour journey and the potential risks that would bring; using public loos at a rest stop, possible breakdown, possible accident. Just looking at the bigger picture here ?‍♀️

jacalpad Thu 24-Sep-20 10:04:07

Saw this today. Could be useful, but not definitive!

Sunshine6 Thu 24-Sep-20 10:01:40

I would go, but not stay as ud previously arranged. Seeing them will be a blessing in itself-thats whats important, not the duration of the visit. The new restriction has just been announced on Tuesday and, in Scotland, bdcomes law on Friday. Things are going to get worse, before they get better, and a wee quick visit will allow you to feel the connection, and that will help to endure you over the next few months.

MrsRochester Thu 24-Sep-20 10:00:57

Personally, I wouldn’t go.
If you do, please keep away from other people for a couple of weeks.

Gingergirl Thu 24-Sep-20 10:00:07

I agree that a cold isn’t Covid. But what about distancing? I know how hard that is with young children but you still have to try...Perhaps go but keep well away for a while until he is better (which is likely to only be a day or so for a baby).

readsalot Thu 24-Sep-20 09:49:05

I would also go. I am looking after GD two days a week and she has just started school. I am sure she will have the usual colds and sniffles but they are not Covid. DS is a doctor and we are guided by him.

cheekychops61 Thu 24-Sep-20 09:46:12

Life is too short go for it