Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Visiting my grandson

(68 Posts)
weeshamrock Wed 23-Sep-20 14:35:53

Am due to visit my 11month old grandson tomorrow and stay for a few days. Have only seen him once this year. My daughter rang this morning to say he has a cold. The drive takes four hours. She wanted me to have the choice of wether to go or not as it is only a cold. My husband and I stay at home mostly and are both well with no health conditions. I am a quandry and would be grateful for other peoples ideas and thoughts.

Grandmabatty Wed 23-Sep-20 14:44:16

We are not allowed in other households in Scotland but you need to make the best decision for you.

trustgone4sure Wed 23-Sep-20 14:44:25

I would do anything to see my family but won`t risk it as i could be a carrier of covid without knowing it.
Personaly, i would put it off for a while,just for safety reasons on all sides.

Septimia Wed 23-Sep-20 16:09:39

If you don't go now it's likely that you won't see them until the spring because visiting is likely, in my opinion, to be banned.

If you've been keeping away from people and haven't mixed with folk anywhere that you might have picked up the virus during the last couple of weeks, then you should be safe to go.

welbeck Wed 23-Sep-20 16:17:22

i wouldn't go.
we all need to batten down and see as few people as poss, and go to a few places, as infrequently as poss; ideally stick to one shop or have deliveries.
no one can say who has it, carries it, passes it.

Oldbat1 Wed 23-Sep-20 16:29:21

We are currently in local lockdown and not permitted to visit anyone in their house or gardens. Our children and grandchildren live 300miles away and along with many millions of others in the world we have to accept not being able to see them. We all have to make sacrifices and make our own decisionsas to what we can live doing.

Franbern Wed 23-Sep-20 16:35:49

Toddlers and small children have an awful lot of cold virus to catch and get through in a few years. So, for much of their young lives, they are likely to have some sort of cold virus. If you try not to see them when they have such, then you might just as well as not make arrangements for the next ten years.

MerylStreep Wed 23-Sep-20 16:53:51

Franburn
Absolutely agree. I haven't had a sniffle for 6 months. The grandchildren are of school with colds so it won't be long before I have it. Never fails ?
We are a long way from a vaccine. People have to decide if they are going to live like this, or do the other thing.

JuneRose Wed 23-Sep-20 17:00:24

I would go. If they are sure it's a cold he has. Go and enjoy the time with him. They grow up so fast.

Illte Wed 23-Sep-20 17:10:53

If you go the risk is yours. It might be just a cold. No way of knowing without a test.

Please stay at home afterwards, stay away from other people and dont pass the risk on.

We have to be responsible for others as well as ourselves. Don't we?

Thoro Wed 23-Sep-20 17:30:43

I’ve had two colds recently from the grandchild /son and dil - the symptoms are different to Covid.
As long as you don’t mind catching a cold I would go and enjoy their company.

M0nica Wed 23-Sep-20 17:34:43

He has a cold, not Covid, these are two different illnesses with different symptoms. If it is a cold the worst that can happen is that you and DH get a cold. ~If that would not normally worry you, why should it worry you now?

Just go.

kircubbin2000 Wed 23-Sep-20 17:39:57

No one is allowed in the house here. Family have booked to come for Halloween so I think we will be disappointed.

Toadinthehole Wed 23-Sep-20 18:22:15

I would go. We’ve all had colds these past two weeks. Enjoy your little grandson while you still can!?

PamelaJ1 Wed 23-Sep-20 18:28:34

M0nica

He has a cold, not Covid, these are two different illnesses with different symptoms. If it is a cold the worst that can happen is that you and DH get a cold. ~If that would not normally worry you, why should it worry you now?

Just go.

I agree, they have different symptoms. Has he been in a situation where he may have been infected with Covid? Does he live in an area with high or low incidences of the virus.
Are his parents OK?
Your DD did have to tell you , you wouldn’t have been happy if you had turned up unknowing.
I would go, but then I had my DGS when he had a sore throat 2 weeks ago and had the day off school.
When asked by my daughter if I would have him I did ask if she was thinking about the welfare of this old couple. I don’t think it had occurred to her that we may be vulnerable!
You have to do your own risk assessment and then make the decision.
Do let us know what you have decided.

tidyskatemum Wed 23-Sep-20 18:35:03

Just go. He’s got a sniffle, not Covid and I bet you’ve been careful not to take risks so you won’t infect them. Chances are it’ll be your last opportunity for the next few months.

weeshamrock Thu 24-Sep-20 03:38:59

Well not much sleep tonight 3.30am. Miss my little grandson only seen him once this year. However had a long chat with my daughter this evening and we both decided to leave it for a few days see how little man is doing. When he is better we will visit and watch that his mum and dad dont catch his cold. My daughter is wise like me she wont risk anything. I thank all of you for the good company and wise words just what I needed today. There is a lot if good people too in the world keep safe. Love and light thankyou for your responses xxx

Humbertbear Thu 24-Sep-20 08:43:24

I wouldn’t go however hard it maybe not to see him. A couple of years ago I babysat for my grandchildren who were off school. They were at the stage where they spent all day on the sofa watching tv. I didn’t sit next to them or cuddle them but I spent the next two weeks in bed. You don’t want to risk catching a cold at the moment which might lower your resistance.

cheekychops61 Thu 24-Sep-20 09:46:12

Life is too short go for it

readsalot Thu 24-Sep-20 09:49:05

I would also go. I am looking after GD two days a week and she has just started school. I am sure she will have the usual colds and sniffles but they are not Covid. DS is a doctor and we are guided by him.

Gingergirl Thu 24-Sep-20 10:00:07

I agree that a cold isn’t Covid. But what about distancing? I know how hard that is with young children but you still have to try...Perhaps go but keep well away for a while until he is better (which is likely to only be a day or so for a baby).

MrsRochester Thu 24-Sep-20 10:00:57

Personally, I wouldn’t go.
If you do, please keep away from other people for a couple of weeks.

Sunshine6 Thu 24-Sep-20 10:01:40

I would go, but not stay as ud previously arranged. Seeing them will be a blessing in itself-thats whats important, not the duration of the visit. The new restriction has just been announced on Tuesday and, in Scotland, bdcomes law on Friday. Things are going to get worse, before they get better, and a wee quick visit will allow you to feel the connection, and that will help to endure you over the next few months.

jacalpad Thu 24-Sep-20 10:04:07

Saw this today. Could be useful, but not definitive!

H1954 Thu 24-Sep-20 10:10:50

It wouldn't be the exposure to the baby with a cold that bothered me, more the four hour journey and the potential risks that would bring; using public loos at a rest stop, possible breakdown, possible accident. Just looking at the bigger picture here ?‍♀️