Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Student and Christmas

(135 Posts)
Franbern Sun 27-Sep-20 12:53:13

Of all the (very many) silly, unscientific, frightening, bad decisions taken by the UK government, over the past few months and all their many u-turns, etc. I think the worst and most stupid and unthought out one is the idea that tens of thousands of student will not be permitted to return to their families at christmas this year.

I do not imagine then any of the Uni towns and cities, or their police forces want to have thousands of unhappy, frustrated, home-sick and bored young people rampaging around during the festive season.

Surely, any of their families that contains a vulnerable person will ensure that they are well protected, but they will want their young people back home for that 10- 14 days.

Do think that someone made this statement without any real thought (about right for this government) without any real thought about what they were actually saying - and now their PR teams are waiting the right moment to say they have changed their minds (again).

trisher Mon 28-Sep-20 19:53:41

So lock up the oldies and let the virus run its course amongst the rest of the population?
That's acually more logical than lock up students which seems to be the present policy. but actually I would ask all people to be more conscious of their social responsibilities. I read today that Asian students don't want to come to the UK because we don't routinely wear masks. They regard the wearing of masks as a social responsibility and that's the crux of the matter that we no longer regard social responsibility as something essential. We've bred a society where the personal is more important.

SueDonim Mon 28-Sep-20 20:23:36

M0nica

There are a lot of nasty and unpleasant remarks about those now at university.

I can never understand anyone who because they have suffered or another group have suffered should want to inflict that same suffering on others.

I agree with this.

I don’t know why students are being scapegoated for this when the evidence in Scotland is that they’re responsible for a very small proportion of law-breaking. According to Police Scotland, illegal partying is taking place across all communities and all age groups.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54323354

Missminnie23 Mon 28-Sep-20 21:20:37

How do you know it would be only a handful? And I suspect it would be a pretty miserable time for those students and their families-isolated and suffering from a horrible illness. Paints a bleak sad picture.

Summerlove Mon 28-Sep-20 21:24:16

I have equal sympathy for the students and the older groups. It’s not finite.

This is terrible for all of us.

Callistemon Mon 28-Sep-20 22:16:06

trisher

^So lock up the oldies and let the virus run its course amongst the rest of the population?^
That's acually more logical than lock up students which seems to be the present policy. but actually I would ask all people to be more conscious of their social responsibilities. I read today that Asian students don't want to come to the UK because we don't routinely wear masks. They regard the wearing of masks as a social responsibility and that's the crux of the matter that we no longer regard social responsibility as something essential. We've bred a society where the personal is more important.

My point is that the ICU doctor from a Welsh hospital, when interviewed on tv, has just made it clear that, although many people think that younger people will not suffer badly if they catch this virus, some will. They now have younger people with the virus in their ICU.

misty34 Mon 28-Sep-20 23:01:45

I don't understand why most went back when I understand that most courses online anyway [I know there are some exceptions] It was obvious a second wave was on the way. Why did they not stay home

SueDonim Mon 28-Sep-20 23:13:04

Many were told they must go back to university, that learning remotely wasn’t an option.

As soon as they did that, some were then told they couldn’t leave their accommodation, with security guards on the door. Lawyers in Scotland are now questioning whether these students have been unlawfully detained.

I’ve been hearing dreadful stories of some overseas students in particular not receiving food for days at a time.

It’s a shocking way to treat people.

trisher Tue 29-Sep-20 11:50:29

And to add insult to injury make them pay thousands to be incarcerated!

growstuff Tue 29-Sep-20 12:15:03

Yes, they have been told that 100% remote learning isn't an option. They were also told that their offers wouldn't necessarily be honoured if they were freshers and that returners had to have a medical reason to defer.

Apparently, the insistence that there would be face-to-face teaching was to satisfy the visa requirements of overseas students, even though it isn't always happening.

In Scotland, there's the additional issue that freshers are younger than in England and universities are in "loco parentis" of 17 year olds.