Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

No social distancing on TV News

(16 Posts)
MerylStreep Mon 28-Sep-20 18:38:10

Maybe if I could have got closer to her next door neighbour I might have been able to stop him being sectioned.
I knew something was wrong as the curtains weren't opened but he wouldn't answer the door.
What happened next was tragic.

Alegrias Mon 28-Sep-20 18:37:24

Well this thread hasn't gone the way I expected. With honourable mentions to Franbern and AGAA4, anybody else like to comment on the original question?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 28-Sep-20 18:33:33

How is it humane to infect an elderly confused lady? Quite the opposite to my mind. By all means care and help but not in that way, absolutely irresponsible!

Chewbacca Mon 28-Sep-20 18:28:50

Your disgraceful is someone else's humanity WhiteWave.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 28-Sep-20 18:10:43

Chewbacca

^Do you want a medal?^

Dear God, that was a nasty, uncalled for remark whitewave. Do you feel better for making it?

MerylStreep, I did the same when my DILs granny died. She was utterly heartbroken because her granny had died whilst in a nursing home and hadn't seen a single member of her family for 4 months before her death. Her guilt, for not having been able to see her, was heart breaking. It would take a hard heart not to want to comfort someone in such circumstances.

I think her attitude is ridiculous. She may be passing on the virus to the confused elderly, what right does merylstreep have to do that?

It is disgraceful.

AGAA4 Mon 28-Sep-20 16:14:19

I would definitely comfort someone who was very upset but I can see the OPs point that social hugging being shown on TV is irresponsible.

MerylStreep Mon 28-Sep-20 16:04:38

Chewbaca
You said it. it would take a hard heart etc Better to be seen doing the right thing than actually doing the right thing.

Chewbacca Mon 28-Sep-20 15:56:17

Do you want a medal?

Dear God, that was a nasty, uncalled for remark whitewave. Do you feel better for making it?

MerylStreep, I did the same when my DILs granny died. She was utterly heartbroken because her granny had died whilst in a nursing home and hadn't seen a single member of her family for 4 months before her death. Her guilt, for not having been able to see her, was heart breaking. It would take a hard heart not to want to comfort someone in such circumstances.

MerylStreep Mon 28-Sep-20 15:35:46

Whitewavemark2
I'll treat your remark with the contempt deserves.

Franbern Mon 28-Sep-20 15:31:58

MeryStreep Well done for caring for your neighbours. How sad that one was so confused and scared to be wearing a mask in her own home, by herself.

No way would I under- play the numbers that have died from this virus and also the so-called long-corona, However, we do seem to be completely forgetting the very large numbers that are also dying from so many other causes, and the mental health of the nation deteriorating at an alarming pace leading to frightening increasing numbers of suicides.

It is almost as if death was an invention of Corona virus - whereas, every year - we have so many more deaths from flu, from heart attacks and from cancer related illnesses as well as all the other far too many illnesses out there.

I can quite understand the emotion of those people on the news who learnt of the tragic, death of their friend and coach. Yes, this needed to be shown - does not mean that we all have to spend all our time hugging, etc. But in very exceptional circumstances - surely we can understand and emphasise with them.

Alegrias Mon 28-Sep-20 13:35:24

Just to be a bit clearer - I'm not complaining about people hugging in extremis.

I'm asking about whether its wise to show this on TV when so many seem confused about the rules.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 28-Sep-20 13:32:12

MerylStreep

I hugged and continue to hug 2 of my elderly confused neighbours. One of them was so distressed she was wearing a mask in her house!!!
My own daughter had a distressing episode the 2nd week of lockdown. I was in my car and there in a shot. I will continue to hug someone who is in distress.
You can all have a go at me for my attitude, but, do you know what, I don't care. People are suffering, and not just from this virus.

Do you want a medal?

MerylStreep Mon 28-Sep-20 13:31:09

I hugged and continue to hug 2 of my elderly confused neighbours. One of them was so distressed she was wearing a mask in her house!!!
My own daughter had a distressing episode the 2nd week of lockdown. I was in my car and there in a shot. I will continue to hug someone who is in distress.
You can all have a go at me for my attitude, but, do you know what, I don't care. People are suffering, and not just from this virus.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 28-Sep-20 13:06:54

Oh! They’ve quickly u-turned in the HoC after they gave themselves an exemption.

The entitled elite, been forced to fall in line.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 28-Sep-20 13:00:02

There are instances of this everywhere.

The House of Commons bar does not close at 10pm, does not require face masks nor does it record customers for contact should covid be found.

You simply can’t expect people to not break the rules when it is being broken especially by the elite.

Alegrias Mon 28-Sep-20 12:46:46

Last night there was a report on the news about the shocking killing of Sgt Ratana in London. Let me say from the outset, that I think we are all agreed that this is a terrible thing.
Part of the report included a report from the rugby club he coached at, where the people were hugging and standing close together as they remembered him. Human nature will drive us to do these things, I understand that. But in the middle of a pandemic, are the media being irresponsible showing this on TV? How must people have felt who were unable to hug loved ones when family members died, and are still unable to do that?
This must be contributing to the confusion about rules, and to people not sticking to these rules. When its people we like to categorise as reckless, like people coming out of the pub, or demonstrating, we can say, “Look at them, that’s awful” But when its people we have sympathy with, it’s a different thing.

What do you think?