Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The Queen may have to change her plans for a traditional Christmas.

(95 Posts)
Parsley3 Tue 29-Sep-20 22:13:09

Students are not alone in their concerns about missing a family Christmas. The virus has no favourites.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8783449/Queen-furious-staff-revolt-Sandringham-Christmas-plans.html

ginny Wed 30-Sep-20 10:50:59

There would still be staff to look after them. Maybe she could send out meals ( won’t be feedin the family ) to people who are alone and unable to afford anything special.
True spirit of Christmas surely.

Callistemon Wed 30-Sep-20 11:16:26

Anniebach

It must be true, it’s from an unknown source

grin

I did suggest on another thread that M&S do perfectly acceptable ready meals.
Popty Ping!

Oh dear, have I turned this into a thread about a thread?
Sorry.

lemongrove Wed 30-Sep-20 11:21:28

MrsRochester

She’ll probably be delighted.
Slippers, G and T and dinner on a tray.

Sounds wonderful ?

lemongrove Wed 30-Sep-20 11:22:24

What is this popty ping I keep reading about??

lemongrove Wed 30-Sep-20 11:25:48

ReadyMeals

Apart from doubting whether the Queen would display "fury" to anyone likely to talk to the press about it, I guess none of us are enjoying having our lives disrupted. But if I was her advisor, I'd be advising her the following: Move into Wood Farm with Philip. (5 bedroom house on Sandringham estate, Philip likes living in the house, and the Queen enjoys using the grounds). This house is small enough to only need a skeleton staff, but large enough that the Queen and Philip can each have their own bedroom, bathroom and sitting room, and a room to reserve as an office. Choose a small team of staff who do not have close family, who will be happy to remain covid-safe and form a bubble with each other - and enjoy xmas together. There are probably cottages the staff can live in to avoid cluttering the 5 bedrooms. The queen should retain her crown, but delegate all hands-on stuff to Charles and William. The queen should from time to time record video messages or hold video meetings to keep morale up.

Very good idea??... I bet the Queen and Duke would welcome doing just that.

Callistemon Wed 30-Sep-20 11:30:34

lemongrove

What is this popty ping I keep reading about??

Spoof Welsh for microwave!

Callistemon Wed 30-Sep-20 11:32:17

Move into Wood Farm with Philip.

That is exactly what they have done.

Lucca Wed 30-Sep-20 11:35:41

OmaforMaya

Lucca

Sorry to say this but she’s had more than 90 “perfect”Christmases.
My reaction to the title of the thread was a bit “am I bothered?”

Wow...it was only a piece of news. No need for nastiness.

What nastiness ? That was my reaction to the “ bit of news”
I think you overreacted to be honest ??

Missiseff Wed 30-Sep-20 11:36:14

Wow. Does anyone actually care about the Queen's Christmas, when there'll be lots of lonely grandparents far less indulged than her spending Christmas alone, and not just because of Covid? Not to mention the homeless, women in refuges, refugees in tents etc etc!!!!!!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Sep-20 11:39:26

I can share some turkey with her if she fancies something from a subject’s oven!

We almost certainly will be spending it on our own for the first time ever. Grandchildren not social distancing etc . I”m sure if she put her mind to it she could cook something. Mum was still cooking her dinners at that age. The queen needs to get a grip????

And the smallest turkey our farmer can supply is 10lb?

I love dark meat so a breast doesn’t cut the mustard. Failing that I’ll be cutting out a dinner for the chap on his own across the road. Then it’s sandwiches for the next 6 weeks.

ReadyMeals Wed 30-Sep-20 11:42:04

Callistemon

^Move into Wood Farm with Philip^.

That is exactly what they have done.

They were there for 2 weeks but have either returned or are intending to return to Windsor and the Queen is said to be intending to go back to the routine of commuting to Buckingham Palace for work. It seems unfair to ask the staff to miss their family xmases if the Queen herself isn't even going to shield.

Lucca Wed 30-Sep-20 11:42:25

Missiseff

Wow. Does anyone actually care about the Queen's Christmas, when there'll be lots of lonely grandparents far less indulged than her spending Christmas alone, and not just because of Covid? Not to mention the homeless, women in refuges, refugees in tents etc etc!!!!!!

Don’t think you’re allowed to say that...I got told off!

EllanVannin Wed 30-Sep-20 11:43:42

Everyone will have to change their plans, not just the Queen.

The only indication that it's Christmas will be the services, albeit with reduced attendances within the televised churches/ cathedrals and usual repeats on TV grin

I for one won't be going shopping where there a crowds---viruses love crowds. All online, but I'll play my own background festive music.

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 30-Sep-20 11:48:30

My immediate thought - why is this even a story? She’s hardly going to do the cooking is she? I assume Philip will be there and her inner circle of servants. She won’t be lonely and she can zoom those she wants to talk to...

lemongrove Wed 30-Sep-20 11:51:30

Thanks Callistemon ?spoof Welsh eh? Isn’t the real thing funny enough then..... (isn’t there a Welsh word for it?)

annifrance Wed 30-Sep-20 11:58:10

Does anyone really believe what they read in the DM?

Nannan2 Wed 30-Sep-20 11:58:14

Im of same opinion as Lucca.grin

Nannan2 Wed 30-Sep-20 12:01:35

Social distancing means staying 1-2 metres apart, right?

Nannan2 Wed 30-Sep-20 12:02:36

And Missiseff.smile

Nannan2 Wed 30-Sep-20 12:06:29

I dont care much about the Queen having to have a 'lesser' christmas than usual-Theres so many others suffering much worse..im sure they can 'arrange' something.She maybe shouldn't be travelling all that way in a pandemic anyway, just for a week or 2?!

Shalene777 Wed 30-Sep-20 12:35:46

I'm sure she is not bothered in the slightest.
Before she was queen she and Philip lived on Malta where they had no staff and she had the life of a normal housewife and it is said to be the happiest time of her life.
She has also stated that her favourite dinner is a Shepherds pie and is renowned for shunning lavish dinners.
Looks like a lot of people swallow up the false stories because they are gullible.

Missiseff Wed 30-Sep-20 12:57:50

LUCCA & NANNAN2, - thumbs up emoji!

Lorelei Wed 30-Sep-20 12:59:30

Love the idea of the Queen and rest of the royals spending the day in their PJ's, getting tipsy, over-eating, watching crappy programmes on TV, playing board games and/or Wii or Playstation games and joining the kids for fun with Xmas new toys...muddling by, just like the rest of us. This has already been a strange year and Christmas is likely to be weird for most people, including Her Majesty

Lexisgranny Wed 30-Sep-20 13:02:09

My grandchildren always preferred Popty Ping to the actual Welsh Word lemongrove it is so onomatopoeic, but as your question was directed to Callistemon I will leave the reply to her. You might enjoy the word another very descriptive Welsh word Cwtch, (pronounced kutch) which means a cuddle or a hug, something in short supply in these CV ridden days.

Shelagh6 Wed 30-Sep-20 13:02:43

I don’t really care actually - they have plenty of servants who all miss every Christmas, every year and I am sure don’t get extra pay or very nice presents! They are notoriously mean!