Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Neanderthals are to blame

(36 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-20 08:12:22

Scientists researching covid and human DNA, have discovered that if you are carrying a particular strand of Neanderthal genetic material and 1 in 6 Europeans do, then you are three times more likely to get a severe case of covid.

It is thought that this particular gene plays a role in the immune system, and also linked to the mechanism which allows the virus to invade the human body.

It is thought that up to 100000 more people have died as a result of carrying this gene.

Funny old world ain’t it?

Devorgilla Mon 05-Oct-20 11:35:21

You beat me to it Alexa. Too much vitamin D can affect kidneys quite badly, but it is a rare side effect. Research other possible effects on the net. I take Vitamin D because of my age but take a low dose and not every day.
As for the much maligned Neanderthals, they were more intelligent than given credit for and I read somewhere that having the 2% guards against several other diseases in northern areas. I think the Northern Africans who came across the bridge and mixed with the Neanderthals have the gene too. I read too that the Asian strain Neanderthal gene is more prone to Covid. You win some, you lose some.

Alexa Sat 03-Oct-20 22:09:43

you can overdose on fat soluble vitamins such as D so take recommended dose

MayBee70 Sat 03-Oct-20 21:56:24

Dr John Campbell’s latest blog discusses it in great detail. I’m sure he said the age of the population doesn’t account for the low death rate (again I need to re listen to it).

MrsRochester Sat 03-Oct-20 19:49:34

MayBee70

And sub Saharan Africa isn’t suffering as badly from the virus as India and Pakistan...“

Have heard it put forward that it’s because populations are so young.

MayBee70 Sat 03-Oct-20 19:45:52

And sub Saharan Africa isn’t suffering as badly from the virus as India and Pakistan....

Esspee Thu 01-Oct-20 22:51:31

I have 2% Neanderthal DNA. - one of the random pieces of information uncovered when I had my DNA tested.
In western population that is pretty average. Asian populations have a higher percentage and African little if any.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-20 20:56:31

Callistemon

I am very proud of my Great Granny X 10,000

?????

Callistemon Thu 01-Oct-20 20:53:56

I am very proud of my Great Granny X 10,000

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-20 20:05:45

BlueSky

Different studies have highlighted different possible factors, like blood group, medication, underlying conditions etc etc. I find it increases my anxiety so I take it all with a pinch of salt.

Go with the Neanderthals.

Nothing you can do about something that happened 10s of thousands of years ago, so might as well relax???

BlueSky Thu 01-Oct-20 19:59:18

Different studies have highlighted different possible factors, like blood group, medication, underlying conditions etc etc. I find it increases my anxiety so I take it all with a pinch of salt.

Callistemon Thu 01-Oct-20 15:31:11

They were more intelligent than we give them credit for.
And have hairy toes and long arms.

Many had red hair but I don't think that is a gene that was passed on.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-20 14:35:05

Certainly big noses, but they were apparently quite bright, ( not sure how they know) so that excludes the two you are thinking about.

Furret Thu 01-Oct-20 14:32:38

Did Neanderthals have big noses, floppy white blonde hair and difficulty enunciating? I think I know two.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 01-Oct-20 13:33:12

Anyone who subscribes to the Zoe Covid Symptom App may have seen reported the 1st randomised blind controlled trial on Vit D given to Covid patients on admission to Córdoba Hospital, Spain.

Small trial, 76 ill patients, but very positive outcomes. One group were given large doses of calcifediol (vit D analogue) on admission, and outcomes were very positive compared to control group. Worth looking it up, very encouraging.

TerriBull Thu 01-Oct-20 13:01:51

I've been taking Vitamin D ever since my doctor advised that a blood test indicated I was quite deficient, I always felt I had a fair amount of exposure to the sun living in the near tropical south east of England! I've got some Mediterranean genes mixed up with my English ones, just wondering if the immigrants in the family are responsible hmm for passing on my lack of the vitamin. Maybe they had a fair share of the Neanderthal lurking there as well! My boys were prone to display what I can only describe as Neanderthal type tendencies when they hit their teens

Callistemon Thu 01-Oct-20 12:39:40

The research will prove very interesting, I think.

Nonnie Thu 01-Oct-20 12:35:05

Long arms? DH must be, shall I tell him?

boat Thu 01-Oct-20 12:24:17

WWM2 I agree with you about the Neanderthals' immune systems not being up to fighting some sort of corona virus.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-20 12:17:32

Callistemon

Is this a specific Neanderthal gene?
I thought most people except for Africans and Australian Aboriginals carried a percentage of Neanderthal or Denisovan DNA?

Yes according to the report, high % in Asia apparently.

That might explain why the virus does not seem to have taken off in Africa? Hopefully.

Callistemon Thu 01-Oct-20 12:14:49

Is this a specific Neanderthal gene?
I thought most people except for Africans and Australian Aboriginals carried a percentage of Neanderthal or Denisovan DNA?

Callistemon Thu 01-Oct-20 12:10:34

My big toes are a bit hairy but please don't tell anyone, Whitewave
Shhhhh!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-20 11:23:20

Callistemon

This is very interesting.

I've thought for a long time that there must be a genetic connection that meant some people suffered more than others from COVID.
Im sure Vitamin D plays a part too, of course.

Shall we all be rushing off to find out our genetic profile now?

Most of us have Neanderthal DNA , I think.

Are long arms a clue? I have long arms relative to my height!

1 in 6 of us - so chances are you haven’t got the gene.

Callistemon Thu 01-Oct-20 10:37:14

This is very interesting.

I've thought for a long time that there must be a genetic connection that meant some people suffered more than others from COVID.
Im sure Vitamin D plays a part too, of course.

Shall we all be rushing off to find out our genetic profile now?

Most of us have Neanderthal DNA , I think.

Are long arms a clue? I have long arms relative to my height!

Dorsetcupcake61 Thu 01-Oct-20 10:10:54

False alarm,stray cat hair(hadn't got glasses on)!
So with guaranteed hair free toes vitamin D is supposed to be a vitamin we can lack. Vitamin D3 is specified.
Certainly gives you lovely nails which have come in very handy for head scratching during briefings!
Ooh Lurpak on anything!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-20 10:05:33

Teetime

I have hairy toes and my brother is a Hobbit!!!

Neanderthals were supposed to be bright, but perhaps their poor immune systems wiped them out?

Perhaps it was a covid virus from eating wild meat???