Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Neanderthals are to blame

(35 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-20 08:12:22

Scientists researching covid and human DNA, have discovered that if you are carrying a particular strand of Neanderthal genetic material and 1 in 6 Europeans do, then you are three times more likely to get a severe case of covid.

It is thought that this particular gene plays a role in the immune system, and also linked to the mechanism which allows the virus to invade the human body.

It is thought that up to 100000 more people have died as a result of carrying this gene.

Funny old world ain’t it?

Dorsetcupcake61 Thu 01-Oct-20 08:26:02

Wonder if you can tell if have gene( checking toes for hair....). Apparently women and childeren less vulnerable than men. Such randomness is concerning. I remember research in the summer indicating that those with dementia may be vulnerable genetically rather than just due to weaker immune system. It certainly makes the concept of protecting vulnerable groups more complex. Guess that's why the Government not really bothering....?

Witzend Thu 01-Oct-20 08:28:08

That’s interesting. I’m sure I’ve read that we are all about 3% Neanderthal anyway.

In today’s Times there’s an article stressing the (Covid related) importance of Vitamin D for the immune system, and suggesting that a lack of it (at least the sunlight-acquired type) may be a reason for more cases in people with darker skin who live in greyer climes like ours.
(Not that this is a new suggestion, I’ve seen it before.)

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-20 08:28:54

So those with hairy toes (and who knew?) should be more careful?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-20 08:30:13

I’ve been taking vit. D for years as I read forever ago that it boosts your immune system.

Don’t think I’ve got hairy toes though, must check.

Spangler Thu 01-Oct-20 08:38:41

I didn't know that Neanderthals wore jeans:

Dorsetcupcake61 Thu 01-Oct-20 08:40:01

I've been taking vitamin D since Spring. Hopefully it works,I've definitely seen an improvement in my nails?.
I always imagined Neanderthals being quite hairy. It was very cold and no access to central heating or thermal vests?.
Maybe that's why Johnson got the virus,well apart from shaking hands etc. I can quite see him as a Latin quoting Neanderthal!
I'm off for a shower and to examine my toes!

kittylester Thu 01-Oct-20 09:00:29

Does taking vitamin D cause hairy toes? I might stop taking it if that is the case!

EllanVannin Thu 01-Oct-20 09:11:11

Lurpak is my " fix " for Vit D. Thickly spread on the crumpets.

Teetime Thu 01-Oct-20 09:15:41

I have hairy toes and my brother is a Hobbit!!!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-20 10:05:33

Teetime

I have hairy toes and my brother is a Hobbit!!!

Neanderthals were supposed to be bright, but perhaps their poor immune systems wiped them out?

Perhaps it was a covid virus from eating wild meat???

Dorsetcupcake61 Thu 01-Oct-20 10:10:54

False alarm,stray cat hair(hadn't got glasses on)!
So with guaranteed hair free toes vitamin D is supposed to be a vitamin we can lack. Vitamin D3 is specified.
Certainly gives you lovely nails which have come in very handy for head scratching during briefings!
Ooh Lurpak on anything!

Callistemon Thu 01-Oct-20 10:37:14

This is very interesting.

I've thought for a long time that there must be a genetic connection that meant some people suffered more than others from COVID.
Im sure Vitamin D plays a part too, of course.

Shall we all be rushing off to find out our genetic profile now?

Most of us have Neanderthal DNA , I think.

Are long arms a clue? I have long arms relative to my height!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-20 11:23:20

Callistemon

This is very interesting.

I've thought for a long time that there must be a genetic connection that meant some people suffered more than others from COVID.
Im sure Vitamin D plays a part too, of course.

Shall we all be rushing off to find out our genetic profile now?

Most of us have Neanderthal DNA , I think.

Are long arms a clue? I have long arms relative to my height!

1 in 6 of us - so chances are you haven’t got the gene.

Callistemon Thu 01-Oct-20 12:10:34

My big toes are a bit hairy but please don't tell anyone, Whitewave
Shhhhh!

Callistemon Thu 01-Oct-20 12:14:49

Is this a specific Neanderthal gene?
I thought most people except for Africans and Australian Aboriginals carried a percentage of Neanderthal or Denisovan DNA?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-20 12:17:32

Callistemon

Is this a specific Neanderthal gene?
I thought most people except for Africans and Australian Aboriginals carried a percentage of Neanderthal or Denisovan DNA?

Yes according to the report, high % in Asia apparently.

That might explain why the virus does not seem to have taken off in Africa? Hopefully.

boat Thu 01-Oct-20 12:24:17

WWM2 I agree with you about the Neanderthals' immune systems not being up to fighting some sort of corona virus.

Nonnie Thu 01-Oct-20 12:35:05

Long arms? DH must be, shall I tell him?

Callistemon Thu 01-Oct-20 12:39:40

The research will prove very interesting, I think.

TerriBull Thu 01-Oct-20 13:01:51

I've been taking Vitamin D ever since my doctor advised that a blood test indicated I was quite deficient, I always felt I had a fair amount of exposure to the sun living in the near tropical south east of England! I've got some Mediterranean genes mixed up with my English ones, just wondering if the immigrants in the family are responsible hmm for passing on my lack of the vitamin. Maybe they had a fair share of the Neanderthal lurking there as well! My boys were prone to display what I can only describe as Neanderthal type tendencies when they hit their teens

Greeneyedgirl Thu 01-Oct-20 13:33:12

Anyone who subscribes to the Zoe Covid Symptom App may have seen reported the 1st randomised blind controlled trial on Vit D given to Covid patients on admission to Córdoba Hospital, Spain.

Small trial, 76 ill patients, but very positive outcomes. One group were given large doses of calcifediol (vit D analogue) on admission, and outcomes were very positive compared to control group. Worth looking it up, very encouraging.

Furret Thu 01-Oct-20 14:32:38

Did Neanderthals have big noses, floppy white blonde hair and difficulty enunciating? I think I know two.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-20 14:35:05

Certainly big noses, but they were apparently quite bright, ( not sure how they know) so that excludes the two you are thinking about.

Callistemon Thu 01-Oct-20 15:31:11

They were more intelligent than we give them credit for.
And have hairy toes and long arms.

Many had red hair but I don't think that is a gene that was passed on.