Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

What should my friend do .

(11 Posts)
Birdwatcher4 Fri 02-Oct-20 13:47:07

Just had a phone call from a friend who lives in Wales she is in a local lockdown area lives on her own with a son and his family near by so until today had not visited them because of the rule of 6 and no households allow to meet anyone in an household they don’t live in

Today her FM as said a single person living on their own can meet up with one household indoors to combat loneliness but her son is concerned for her to visit as in his household there are 3 of the family that go out to work and one attending school so thinks that puts her at risk because at anytime one of them could fetch the virus home unknown to them till the become ill ! she has phone contact with them so is not that lonely .

So do you think her family are right to be concern for .

Birdwatcher4 Fri 02-Oct-20 13:47:35

Her

Namsnanny Fri 02-Oct-20 13:59:59

Cant they met in the garden? Or outside somewhere else?

Mask, thick coat and use of a brolli is a better option than missing out on a visit with family, in my book! smile.

Baggs Fri 02-Oct-20 17:01:58

I think her family are right to be concerned but if I were a member of her family I'd go and visit her if that's what she wanted in spite of the risks. Actual human contact is important.

Carers are in and out of people's homes all the time and then going home to their families other members of which work elsewhere and who have kids in school. All this with no transmission of the virus if care is taken and no visits done by anyone with even the slightest symptom. Yes, I know about asymptomatic cases.

Just for perspective, the other day MrB told me he'd been looking at statistical info showing that deaths from Covid are twenty-fourth in a list of what people are dying of right now. In other words there are twenty-three other illnesses that more people are dying of than of Covid.

GagaJo Fri 02-Oct-20 17:10:34

Hmmm. My daughter was in a group of 6 with a friend on our street (no family nearby). The friend's daughter brought it home from nursery (parents working from home), infected all of them AND my daughter and grandson. Fortunately, everyone got through it safely. BUT, if I had been at home, it would probably have been a different story since I have several risk factors.

Callistemon Fri 02-Oct-20 17:12:22

There will be many more, too, not from COVID but because people are not having examinations, diagnoses, surgery or treatment, so as a consequence of the virus.

Illte Fri 02-Oct-20 17:55:56

I'm not sure the comparison with carers is valid. They attend people because the care us necessary, whereas seeing your family for a bit of company is a very different thing.

Human contact is important but we know that people can survive for very long periods of time without face to face contact. And remain mentally well. Nelson Mandela and Terry Waite spring to mind.

I think the stress of meeting up and then everybody having to wonder if an infection has happened, is more damaging. And actually passing on the virus? How good for the families mental health would that be.

The Ops friend is in a high risk area. Why take the risk?

Birdwatcher4 Fri 02-Oct-20 18:44:20

Thank you for your views yes I think I agree with GagaJo and Illte . she lives near enough to have a stroll and call into their garden for a chat weather permitting it’s what she as been during lockdown so I told her to continue to do that better to be safe and at least she is seeing them face to face at a safe distance....

growstuff Fri 02-Oct-20 20:54:10

Just for perspective, the other day MrB told me he'd been looking at statistical info showing that deaths from Covid are twenty-fourth in a list of what people are dying of right now. In other words there are twenty-three other illnesses that more people are dying of than of Covid.

That's false logic. It's true that far more people are dying from cancer and heart disease (and other reasons), but the risk of dying from either isn't suddenly increased by being in contact with people who are infected with Covid-19.

growstuff Fri 02-Oct-20 20:58:28

Callistemon

There will be many more, too, not from COVID but because people are not having examinations, diagnoses, surgery or treatment, so as a consequence of the virus.

But ignoring Covid precautions will increase the number of people infected and put even more strain on the NHS, so people needing tests or surgery are even less likely to be treated.

welbeck Fri 02-Oct-20 21:01:30

agree with Illte.
why take unnecessary risks.
they can telephone every day, no need to be isolated.