(38 Posts)
coastiepostie Sat 03-Oct-20 00:17:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sparklefizz Sat 03-Oct-20 08:47:05

Thank you coastiepostie.

Lucca Sat 03-Oct-20 08:54:16

Well that’s made my day

BlueBelle Sat 03-Oct-20 08:57:40

Couldn’t get through that lot, so sorry ciastiepostie you lost me after the first paragraph

MawB2 Sat 03-Oct-20 08:59:14

A long read Coastie and depressing or realistic, depending on your point of view.
However you speak from experience when you say:

Statistics are a nonsense, if you ARE the statistic, you are it 100%
I suggest you think about your loved ones and before you make each choice you ask yourself
Would I be happy for me or them to become that statistic?
Is this the Christmas gift you want to give

Furret Sat 03-Oct-20 09:04:29

That was very interesting so thank you for taking the trouble to post.

I know from family and friends that there is much in what you wrote. My SiL, a fit and healthy 47 year old, caught it from a pupil and months later is still not 100%.

But worse than that my neighbour, a very fit (marathon runner) 35 year old, hospital consultant caught it in her frontline work. She still cannot walk more than a 100 yards without getting out of breath - and that was six months ago at the very start of the outbreak. She has not been able to return to work.

Do not dismiss the above post. We are hearing more and more of this longCovid and I suspect it will become a long term health problem for many who ‘recover’.

Urmstongran Sat 03-Oct-20 09:08:58

I read your post coastie and what you said is very perceptive. You have drilled down into the signs and symptoms very well.

I’ve recently come to believe it’s easier to catch than I used to think.

Such a nasty, nasty virus.

Oopsadaisy4 Sat 03-Oct-20 09:15:37

Well that was depressing, however for those people who still think it’s ok to have friends over for a meal,Or go to cuddle a GC, it might make them stop and think.
On the other hand there must be thousands of people who do only get ‘mild flu symptoms ‘ and if people know any of those personally I think they are less likely to take it seriously.
Me? I’m still staying at home (mostly) and wearing masks, gloves and using hand sanitizer whenever I’m out, so I think if you have the mindset that you will do all you can to protect yourself And your loved ones, then you will carry on being careful, but there are still those who think that they will do whatever they want, despite what we are being told is safe and sensible.

Parsley3 Sat 03-Oct-20 09:16:23

Thank you coastie for sharing your personal experience.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sat 03-Oct-20 09:33:35

Thankyou coastiepostie.
I think the affects of LongCovid have been very much under reported. If I was being generous I might think that was due to it being early days and we are still discovering information about the virus.
Unfortunately I also feel there is a big element of it wouldnt fit with the back to work agenda.
The initial coverage implied the virus was flu like. Its implied that only the sick and old die and those that are not vulnerable will be fine.
Research shared on Independent Sage however discussed long Covid as you have shared. There are also implications that you may be asymptomatic or have a mild case but once the virus is in your body it can cause problems later down the line including problems with fertility. You may have it mildly the first time but catch it again with more devastating consequences. The author Micheal Rosen survived intensive care but is left with permenant damage to sight and hearing.
Yes,damage caused to the economy is of tremendous concern.
For me the only blessing were that my childeren and grandchilderen were safe as the risk is so low.
Now I'm not so sure,and I don't think anyone can be.
Do the government realise? Who knows. Maybe they are just hoping it wont be as bad as worse case scenario. Maybe they dont care but carry on regardless. There are very few options. To make schools,social care,workplaces fully functioning in a Covid safe way can not happen overnight, these areas were hanging on by their fingernails due to a decade of austerity.
People will bicker,accept or dismiss the risk,even deny the virus exists. They will hear what they want to hear. Time will tell.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 03-Oct-20 09:40:22

How are you feeling now postie?

Izabella Sat 03-Oct-20 09:46:08

Well, most of these posts are far too long for me to process these days as my Alzheimers progresses. However as a retired medic, with close relatives working in intensive care units both here and in the USA I am well aware of the situation. I also realise there are an awful lot of people without my knowledge who put their own needs first - and that will always be so.

dragonfly46 Sat 03-Oct-20 09:46:58

Thank you Coastie that is a very informative account.

But Urmston don't take it too much to heart. Many people, and friends of mine have recovered with no after effects.

dragonfly46 Sat 03-Oct-20 09:47:47

Lovely picture Izabella.

Izabella Sat 03-Oct-20 10:05:39

Context: research recently found that droplet nuclei released by speaking loudly are of sufficient size and remain airborne long enough to be inhaled by others and trigger a new SARS-CoV2 infection - hence the continued requirement for masks and social distancing if anyone is in any doubt (Standnytski et al 2020). (Spelling may be incorrect - sorry)

(From a note I wrote the other day)

annsixty Sat 03-Oct-20 10:42:31

Thank you for pointing out the stark reality.
I don’t expect the mindless partying animals, out every Saturday night regardless to read and absorb it but I do live in hope that the University students who are doing pretty much the same have the intelligence to do so if it were part of their introduction to University life.
That is very snobbish and critical of me I realise but I happen to believe it is true.

Hetty58 Sat 03-Oct-20 10:58:03

Dorsetcupcake61, spot on. The messages we get from the government are carefully selected, never the full, complete truth.

The last thing they want to recognise is the possibility of long Covid, frail and disabled survivors - not when the pension and disability benefit costs have just been reduced!

Hetty58 Sat 03-Oct-20 11:02:34

annsixty, people everywhere will always convert/edit the facts to suit them. It's human nature, we're selfish.

They forget, ignore or deny anything that's inconvenient to their personal plans. You'd think the rules and guidelines were a pic'n'mix!

maddyone Sat 03-Oct-20 11:30:09

coastie
Thank you for your very informative post. I read it last night just before I went to sleep and decided to defer responding until the morning. Unfortunately more information is emerging about ‘long Covid’ and it’s not good information. Of course we know that the greater majority who contract Covid19 will get over it in one to two weeks, and some won’t even know they’ve had it. However those who get it badly, and then proceed to Long Covid, will be affected for months, perhaps forever. We still don’t know enough about this disease and how people get on years later because it’s such a new disease. Please God we get a vaccine soon.

How are you faring now coastie? Keep us updated with your recovery.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 03-Oct-20 11:46:50

Thank you, Coastie, it sounds really horrific! Hope you are feeling better now.

annodomini Sat 03-Oct-20 11:51:08

Thank you, coastie, for giving us the unvarnished truth about Long Covid.
I wonder if the old myth about its being just a kind of flu has not worn itself out by now. Is it possible that, if the virus was tackled with antivirals as soon as it was diagnosed, it might be stopped in its tracks? I think that is what Trumps medics are trying to do. How many people, shortly after a positive test are treated with Remdesivir which is what Trump has received even before admission to hospital - if the reports are accurate.
The point that I'm making is that, now that the long-term effects of Covid are becoming all too well-known, should we not be taking the initial symptoms as a warning of what might be to come and begin anti-viral treatment from the start?

Happiyogi Sat 03-Oct-20 12:07:23

Thanks for posting, coastiepostie, and I’m sorry that you’ve had personal experience of this.

Since the virus first appeared, I’ve been wondering about the post-viral situation to come. We have close family experience of hideous, life-changing post viral fatigue and pain over many years. It is a horrible thing, made more difficult by lack of support from unbelieving medics and the wider community.

I wish you, and everyone else affected by this, well.

Alexa Sat 03-Oct-20 12:18:12

Coastiepostie, well done!

I wonder if long covid is due to secondary infections with more familiar pathogens perhaps bacteria.

It's well known people who had acute viral illnesses need long times to convalesce.

BlueSky Sat 03-Oct-20 12:29:53

Masks and social distancing when and if you have to go out, plus hand washing/sanitising. Otherwise at home, no mixing, no cuddles with DGC, that’s all we can do and we can only be responsible for our own behaviour. After that it’s in the lap of the gods.

farview Sat 03-Oct-20 13:05:51

My favourite book Izabella...it helps when times are tough..