Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Allowing tradesmen in for non-urgent work

(30 Posts)
HooteNanny Mon 19-Oct-20 12:50:35

Good afternoon all,
I am a newbie at posting so please forgive any errors smile.
I need some advice from calm, level headed ladies as I am feeling very anxious at the moment, and I think this is totally clouding my mind as to decisions I must make. Apologies for the boring story in advance.
Firstly I am 69, overweight, (which I am dealing with), have high blood pressure (take medication) and have to carry an epipen everywhere due to severe allergies to several substances so have to be, and have been very careful about abiding by guidelines and also being self protective (with intermittent support from both my sons who live nearby).
Long story short - three years ago a subsidence claim was started regarding small cracks in a couple of walls in my home, so a series of monitoring visits ensued resulting in a couple of trees being removed.
Then Covid/lockdown happened, and I refused to allow anyone in my home (on Government and doctors orders). The surveying company were not impressed and were quite aggressive in wanting to come indoors to monitor which I consistently refused as the small cracks could not be classified as ‘urgent’ work.
Fast forward to lockdown easing and numbers reducing; I allowed the monitoring to begin again with the proviso that all relevant protective gear was worn and only one person entered my home (my children and grandchildren had only just been allowed to enter at this point). They very begrudgingly agreed.
Then when it was decided repair work could commence, they wanted two building firms to come and estimate the cost of repair - again I insisted on one person, PPE etc, which they were not happy with but complied.
I found all of this very stressful, and so my son phoned the surveying company three weeks ago, and told them that any further communication should be with him and he would then discuss matters with me.
They have taken no notice of this and obviously haven't relayed this fact to the chosen builder, and over the past week I have had several voicemails from this building company asking me to confirm with them a start date of 9 November for the repair work, and for two other separate tradesmen to come and assess other work to be done.
With the numbers rising so rapidly, am I being a complete ‘wimp’ to be very worried about having three separate strangers in my home for days at a time? What I really want to do is to say no, you will have to wait until spring next year, but I’m unsure as to whether I can do that or not.
I am living in a Tier 1 region at the moment, however our numbers are rising quite quickly, but so many people seem to be in and out of each other’s houses and living a ‘normal’ life.
My daughter, who lives in London, thinks I should be far more proactive and ‘live your life’ but if I am absolutely honest, I am terrified of catching this horrible virus.
Do you think I should/could postpone this work until next year?
I hope this makes sense - I will be able to talk to my son in a couple of days; but my head is whirling at the moment with the ‘should I/shouldn’t I’ and I’m hoping for some calming and helpful replies. Thank you smile

HooteNanny Thu 22-Oct-20 16:42:47

Good afternoon again,
Just a quick update if anyone is interested smile
My son spoke to all the relevant people and he felt that there were going to be far too many different tradesmen in and out of my home over a short period; he didn’t want me exposed to any unnecessary risks, and so the work has been postponed until Feb/March next year (huge sigh of relief). Hopefully the virus will be on its way by then, and if not, well - we’ll have to wait and see what the rules are!
Grandmafrench, thank you for such a calm and measured response, I imagine you are the ‘go to’ for advice in your family; and Jane10 you hit the nail on the head about the whole situation.
Also thanks to everybody who replied with advice- it is so nice to know there are people out there of (more or less) my age group online, with lots of different topics to read about - a lifesaver in this very strange and lonely time.
Best wishes and keep safe all. thanks

Alexa Thu 22-Oct-20 17:16:07

If you decide to let them in insist on their wearing clean masks and initial hand washing on entering your premises.Supervise them . Probably they won't bother about cleanliness, so you supply each visitor with new disposable mask. Most important, open all windows and doors wide to let as much fresh air in as possible. Keep well away from them, the further away the better.

If you do all that you will be okay.

FarNorth Thu 22-Oct-20 17:17:32

Good result HooteNanny. smile

Callistemon Thu 22-Oct-20 17:33:50

Thanks for the update, HooteNanny