Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Should we ask over 60s to stay in?

(260 Posts)
FannyCornforth Tue 20-Oct-20 19:44:31

What about clinically extremely vulnerable people aka the previously shielding?
They are back in the work place.
The reason that the government 'paused' shielding is that it would have played havoc with schools and other public services.
I, for one, are sick and tired with what people think 'vulnerable' means.

lemongrove Tue 20-Oct-20 19:43:18

It’s not practical really is it? Many are still working at 60, and even those who aren’t, can, if careful live a semi locked down life but still go out, masked now and then.
If teenage and older DGC are visiting however and not being careful themselves, then Covid will still spread.

BlueSky Tue 20-Oct-20 19:43:02

I think by now we all know what we should or shouldn’t do to keep safe regardless of age. Big mistake singling out older people as it gives younger ones a false sense is security.

Chewbacca Tue 20-Oct-20 19:42:09

This over 60 is still working and doing GC care 3 part days a week so that their parents can work. If I can still be paid my full wage, plus the costs of alternative child care, I'll stay indoors for you!

Calendargirl Tue 20-Oct-20 19:37:08

I would imagine many over 60’s are looking after over 80’s.
I am thinking of a friend, 62, who goes three times a week to her parents, 90 and 91, cooking their meals, helping them to shower, do housework, take them to doctors appointments, do their shopping,......

MayBee70 Tue 20-Oct-20 19:28:35

I think everyone needs to do whatever they can as much as possible. If everyone over 60 that wasn’t working etc acted as if they were in lockdown then the fatality rate would drop dramatically. However I’m someone that is quite happy in a self imposed semi lockdown (I’ve been in one since early March). So I can’t really speak for others.

GrannyLaine Tue 20-Oct-20 19:28:34

Only if there is a good reason.

kittylester Tue 20-Oct-20 19:26:48

Probably!!

Ilovecheese Tue 20-Oct-20 19:21:02

Will they still get paid for not going to work? Are you including doctors and other medical staff?

kittylester Tue 20-Oct-20 19:17:57

Just that really. I think so.